Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skier-hughes
    replied
    Sorted my last problem with dvddecryptor. I went into the settings and changed it to make a new file every 1gb to every 2gb and it made my 1.05gb file perfectly and I'm now happily editing it in Edius.

Graham

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    Back on topic :)

Used disc capture and it gives me the same sort of file as before.... it will play in the capture window but green screens on the timeline.

Now were is my dvddecryptor gone :)

See you all later when I'm finished on this project.... problems permitting

Grahamn

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by skier-hughes View Post
    I'm with you all the way on that one Anton. The only problem is after investing £4k on updating my pc I need some payback and people on the street think it's as easy as buying a combined vhs/dvd player and pressing record :-0

Graham
    let me assure you that they will be in for a big shock

I have all M*A*S*H and BONANZA episodes on VHS, recorded in 1980's, all playing perfectly right now

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    I'm with you all the way on that one Anton. The only problem is after investing £4k on updating my pc I need some payback and people on the street think it's as easy as buying a combined vhs/dvd player and pressing record :-0

Graham

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    home use DVD technology is the most unreliable technology ever, and users don't fully understand how to use it

in a few years time, most home users will have lost their memories on DVD (faded away, bad (cheap) disks with bad die) and then the sh*t will finally hit the fan

additionally, one scratch can destroy a whole DVD

a toddler chewing 2 feet of VHS will destroy 20 seconds of memories, this is acceptable in any case

on the professional side, a pressed DVD will last as long as there are players available

4 years ago, I made 500 demo DVD of my work on what was supposed to be good disks called Ritek, I have 120 left and out of the 120, 2 are playing, the rest are not recognized by any player, the die has failed

I now use tayo yuden and hope that the future will be better

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    Thanks Barry,

I'm back on the case now, so I'll try the edius disc capture out of curiosity and then most likely use dvddecrytor to work on the single vobs.

I've had a lot of stuff from this client, but generally it comes on VHS, which is dead easy to work with, but this one he hadn't got the tapes so a friend put it on to dvd for him!!!! Which of course then wouldn't work on his dvd player, plus we need to remove some material and make 4 dvds into 2 watchable ones!!!

Graham

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    I'll try edius disc capture.

Is there a difference between using file and ifo mode in quality of end video out? If not, then I can use this, as there are only certain bits I need from the dvd anyway.

Graham
    No difference! in file mode it lists the VOB files. In IFO the list is for each VTS and the video contained in each VTS if there is more than one video in a VTS it will be listed as a PGC with its duration. by selecting the PGC the whole video will be extracted with the audio interleaved in the MPEG format. If you don't want them all to be combined into a single file unselect the "cell" for those you dont want or do it individually for each PGC.
    You will have to change the name of the extracted VOB file to mpg for EDIUS to recognise it properly. The quality of the video will be dependent on the original, and most of these stand alone recorders are not real flash.
    If you do not want the audio it is easy to eliminate in edius, either unlink and delete the audio or drag the clip to a "V" track and you are there
    EDIUS will edit the mpg file with no problem, I do this regularly for my video club when they want the years video's put onto a single DVD and DVD VR is a pain in the !!!! get the message! Causes even more problems if you are trying to combine with other proper video on a single VTS authering software.
    Hence I use DVDLab Pro that alows multiple VTS and by using a separate VTS for any difference in Aspect / Audio the DVD will play in almost most players.
    Hope this helps
    Barry
    Last edited by Bluetongue; 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    I'll try edius disc capture.

As far as I am aware I was doing what you say in dvdderyptor, but it brought out the various vobs as seperate m2v's adn this is where the trouble was in that the 2nd VOB m2v conversion won't import into edius.

I tried using the file mode adn picked the file that wouldn't import and then dvd to hdd button which gave me a muxed audio/video file which would come into Edius.

Is there a difference between using file and ifo mode in quality of end video out? If not, then I can use this, as there are only certain bits I need from the dvd anyway.

Graham

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    The vobs are
    704x576
    top field first
    Mpeg2 programme stream
    25fps
    VBR 4500 / 9586 kbps
    Ac3 audio 48khz 2 channel stereo.

I suspect made by a stand alone dvd recorder.
    You are right the 704x576 is DVD VR format from a stand alone.
    As you are attempting to retrieve the video not the VOB try using "DISCcapture" in EDIUS, this should extract the MPEG file from the DVD.
    If there is more than one Movie on the disk they will be listed select the ones you want and the "FULL" movie should be extracted in MPEG format.

The same goes for DVDdecrypter use it in "IFO" mode and it will extract the complete movie as a single file in MPG, if there is more than one on the disk select the ones you want and each one will be extracted as a separate file.

From what I am reading you are extracting VOB's not always successful as the header is different even though they are in MPG

Regards Barry

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    Graham if you convert the VOB's to mpeg2 you're re-rendering the footage...it's always best to load the raw footage into Edius :)
    I understand that. I was really just seeing if PCE could convert it to something else properly, rather than the failure I got when converting to dv-avi.

I'll play some more tomorrow.

Graham

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    Dave,

The file set up is quite weird.

The disc is set up with a very basic menu which allows you to choose one of 4 1/2 hour programmes.

Each of these 4 programmes has it's own set of vobs, so programme one is VTS_01_1.VOB and VTS_01_2.VOB
    Programme 2 is VTS_02_01.VOB etc.

I assume it's done this way as the 4 programmes were perhaps recorded to the disc at different times? It was made using a dvd recorder.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Graham if you convert the VOB's to mpeg2 you're re-rendering the footage...it's always best to load the raw footage into Edius :)

Experiment and you'll get good results with ripping and you'll never go back to importing VOBs into Edius, they are a bit problematic because not all DVD's are authored the same way.

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    Some success.

PCE converted the file into another m2v and this imported into edius, but I have an annoying 20 frame black section.

Definately bed now and I'll work on this again in the morning.

Thanks,

Graham

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    I think you're trying to convert the main VOB...the VOB's that contain the "real" video files are about 1GB each. If it is a 4GB disk, then you will have 4 large 1GB files.

It should be VIDEO_TS_02 or something along those lines...the 01 is usually the menu, depending if it has it or not.

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    I tried dvddecryptor again with the next set of vobs and it did the same thing.

Each PGC is made up of two vobs, it converts both and it says it has done both, but the second vob each time will not import into Edius.

Using PCE to convert it to dv-avi has failed. It again says it has done it, but it is done in the blink of an eye and there is no file to view when you open the target folder. I am now trying by converting it to Mpeg2, which appears to be working.......

Graham

Leave a comment:

Working...
X