No announcement yet.

Using VOB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDDecryptor is working away, still had it on my other OS drive :)

Will get back to you later, I'm off for a cup or tea, then as it's nearly 10.30pm I've had enough today, I might read a book and off to bed
    www.myvideoproblems.com
    Microsoft MVP in Digital Media

Edius 4.61, NX Express, xp sp2

Comment

I'm doomed.

DVDDecryptor said it had completed the task ok.

I get two video files and one audio file.

The one video file will import into edius, as does the audio file, but the second file, which has the info I need, won't import.

Although it plays in WMP!!!!

I'm going to sleep this one off :-)

Graham
      www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

Don't give up Graham, it should work :)
        I do this all the time....I'm even able to rip DVD's that were created on cheapo DVD recorders and at lower resolutions as well (Sometimes called CIF).

It might not import into Edius, but have you tried using ProCoderExpress to convert the .m2v into a DV AVI?

If you have ProCoder2 or ProCoder3, you can also inject the .ac3 or .wav along with the .m2v and create an interleaved .AVI file.

Comment

I tried dvddecryptor again with the next set of vobs and it did the same thing.

Each PGC is made up of two vobs, it converts both and it says it has done both, but the second vob each time will not import into Edius.

Using PCE to convert it to dv-avi has failed. It again says it has done it, but it is done in the blink of an eye and there is no file to view when you open the target folder. I am now trying by converting it to Mpeg2, which appears to be working.......

Graham
          www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

I think you're trying to convert the main VOB...the VOB's that contain the "real" video files are about 1GB each. If it is a 4GB disk, then you will have 4 large 1GB files.

It should be VIDEO_TS_02 or something along those lines...the 01 is usually the menu, depending if it has it or not.

Comment

Some success.

PCE converted the file into another m2v and this imported into edius, but I have an annoying 20 frame black section.

Definately bed now and I'll work on this again in the morning.

Thanks,

Graham
              www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

Graham if you convert the VOB's to mpeg2 you're re-rendering the footage...it's always best to load the raw footage into Edius :)

Experiment and you'll get good results with ripping and you'll never go back to importing VOBs into Edius, they are a bit problematic because not all DVD's are authored the same way.

Comment

Dave,

The file set up is quite weird.

The disc is set up with a very basic menu which allows you to choose one of 4 1/2 hour programmes.

Each of these 4 programmes has it's own set of vobs, so programme one is VTS_01_1.VOB and VTS_01_2.VOB
                  Programme 2 is VTS_02_01.VOB etc.

I assume it's done this way as the 4 programmes were perhaps recorded to the disc at different times? It was made using a dvd recorder.
                  www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                    Graham if you convert the VOB's to mpeg2 you're re-rendering the footage...it's always best to load the raw footage into Edius :)
                    I understand that. I was really just seeing if PCE could convert it to something else properly, rather than the failure I got when converting to dv-avi.

I'll play some more tomorrow.

Graham
                    www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

Originally posted by skier-hughes View Post
                      The vobs are
                      704x576
                      top field first
                      Mpeg2 programme stream
                      25fps
                      VBR 4500 / 9586 kbps
                      Ac3 audio 48khz 2 channel stereo.

I suspect made by a stand alone dvd recorder.
                      You are right the 704x576 is DVD VR format from a stand alone.
                      As you are attempting to retrieve the video not the VOB try using "DISCcapture" in EDIUS, this should extract the MPEG file from the DVD.
                      If there is more than one Movie on the disk they will be listed select the ones you want and the "FULL" movie should be extracted in MPEG format.

The same goes for DVDdecrypter use it in "IFO" mode and it will extract the complete movie as a single file in MPG, if there is more than one on the disk select the ones you want and each one will be extracted as a separate file.

From what I am reading you are extracting VOB's not always successful as the header is different even though they are in MPG

Regards Barry
                      Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                      GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                      Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                      Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

I'll try edius disc capture.

As far as I am aware I was doing what you say in dvdderyptor, but it brought out the various vobs as seperate m2v's adn this is where the trouble was in that the 2nd VOB m2v conversion won't import into edius.

I tried using the file mode adn picked the file that wouldn't import and then dvd to hdd button which gave me a muxed audio/video file which would come into Edius.

Is there a difference between using file and ifo mode in quality of end video out? If not, then I can use this, as there are only certain bits I need from the dvd anyway.

Graham
                        www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

Originally posted by skier-hughes View Post
                          I'll try edius disc capture.

Is there a difference between using file and ifo mode in quality of end video out? If not, then I can use this, as there are only certain bits I need from the dvd anyway.

Graham
                          No difference! in file mode it lists the VOB files. In IFO the list is for each VTS and the video contained in each VTS if there is more than one video in a VTS it will be listed as a PGC with its duration. by selecting the PGC the whole video will be extracted with the audio interleaved in the MPEG format. If you don't want them all to be combined into a single file unselect the "cell" for those you dont want or do it individually for each PGC.
                          You will have to change the name of the extracted VOB file to mpg for EDIUS to recognise it properly. The quality of the video will be dependent on the original, and most of these stand alone recorders are not real flash.
                          If you do not want the audio it is easy to eliminate in edius, either unlink and delete the audio or drag the clip to a "V" track and you are there
                          EDIUS will edit the mpg file with no problem, I do this regularly for my video club when they want the years video's put onto a single DVD and DVD VR is a pain in the !!!! get the message! Causes even more problems if you are trying to combine with other proper video on a single VTS authering software.
                          Hence I use DVDLab Pro that alows multiple VTS and by using a separate VTS for any difference in Aspect / Audio the DVD will play in almost most players.
                          Hope this helps
                          Barry
                          Last edited by Bluetongue; 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM.
                          Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                          GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                          Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                          Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Thanks Barry,

I'm back on the case now, so I'll try the edius disc capture out of curiosity and then most likely use dvddecrytor to work on the single vobs.

I've had a lot of stuff from this client, but generally it comes on VHS, which is dead easy to work with, but this one he hadn't got the tapes so a friend put it on to dvd for him!!!! Which of course then wouldn't work on his dvd player, plus we need to remove some material and make 4 dvds into 2 watchable ones!!!

Graham
                            www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

home use DVD technology is the most unreliable technology ever, and users don't fully understand how to use it

in a few years time, most home users will have lost their memories on DVD (faded away, bad (cheap) disks with bad die) and then the sh*t will finally hit the fan

additionally, one scratch can destroy a whole DVD

a toddler chewing 2 feet of VHS will destroy 20 seconds of memories, this is acceptable in any case

on the professional side, a pressed DVD will last as long as there are players available

4 years ago, I made 500 demo DVD of my work on what was supposed to be good disks called Ritek, I have 120 left and out of the 120, 2 are playing, the rest are not recognized by any player, the die has failed

I now use tayo yuden and hope that the future will be better
                              Anton Strauss
                              Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I'm with you all the way on that one Anton. The only problem is after investing £4k on updating my pc I need some payback and people on the street think it's as easy as buying a combined vhs/dvd player and pressing record :-0

Graham
                                www.myvideoproblems.com

Comment

Working...
                                X