Low Level Fizzing Audio Artifacts in DVD Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djspearritt View Post
    If I take the same WAV file and convert it to MP3 in Wavelab, there are no artifacts generated.
    MPEG audio for DVDs is MPEG Layer II encoding, not Layer III (aka MP3).

Can you compress to MPEG Layer II in Wavelab?

Also, please provide the audio encoding settings.

Comment

Brandon

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
      MPEG audio for DVDs is MPEG Layer II encoding, not Layer III (aka MP3).
      Yes, sorry for confusing that issue.

Can you compress to MPEG Layer II in Wavelab? Also, please provide the audio encoding settings.
      Yes I can, and when the settings are 48kHz and 192 kbps, the artifacts are there in Wavelab encoded file as well. So its the same error in the encoder for Wavelab as in ProCoderExpress.

The story seems to be to keep well away from MPEG2 audio output for the DVD. Its going to be only 48/16 PCM WAV for me.

Thanks for your help Brandon.

Regards
      David Spearritt
      http://www.lodestarrecordings.com.au

Comment

You're welcome David.

MPEG-1 Layer II audio compression is... well... just okay.
        It was the thing when it first came out back in the early 90's though. I remember running DOS compressors on them.

MPEG-1 Layer III, on the other hand, is much better.

Still, for DVD use, my preference would be AC-3. EDIUS v4.5 will include AC-3 encoding, both in the new DVD authoring as well as timeline export, so once the upgrade comes out you can move toward using AC-3 instead.

Comment

Hi David / Brandon,

I always stick to WAV for my DVD productions. Especially when I record in concert halls (classical recordings). The sounds are so much better than any encoded sounds (MPEG Layer 2, Layer 3, or even AC-3). Really telling in the depth of the recorded sound.

I use a 24 bits 96Khz digital sound recorder for the original sound recording, which I then merge into the video (after downsampling to 16 bits, 48Khz).

With a DVD - no problem with space.

TS
          Last edited by tingsern; 07-22-2007, 05:41 AM.
          TingSern
          --------------------------------------
          Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Working...
          X