This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius and Smartsound

Just to update Edius users who were hoping for a Smartsound plugin. I have been communicating with Kevin Klingler the CEO of Smartsound. This is what he replied.
    "Unfortunately the chances for an Edius plug-in are not good. We had a positive dialog going with the Canopus wing of Grass Valley but unfortunately they decided to "plug-in" a music web site and re-brand it "My Music for Edius". This was a very disappointing thing for me to see after the work we had done to license a demonstration version of SFP for inclusion in their box. The fact that it was branded Edius and was actually plugged into the Edius interface created significant headwinds for us in terms of aftermarket music sales, which suddenly made the cost of engineering a plug-in unmanageable for us.

We remain open to working with them but candidly I think its unlikely now. The whole thing was very unfortunate
    Kevin Klingler - CEO Smartsound Jan 2010".

This is a great pity because I'm sure there are many users of Edius who also use Smartsound/Sonicfire Pro. Maybe there could be a poll for this? Just a thought.
    Mike T
    Mike Trewhella
    Intel Core i7 processor 3770K 3.50GHz, ASUS Sabertooth Z7 Mother Board, NVidia Graphics card GTX 465, 16GB RAM, Antec 300 case, Windows 7 Ultimate (64), Edius 6.55, Vistitle 2.5

I had the same message from Kevin myself, I wish that it was done as the My Music plugin is crap, the music choice and prices are just plain silly, Smartsound is the way to go.

Steve
    Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

It's a shame...
      Asus P8P67, Intel i7 2600K working at 4.50 Ghz, 16Gb Kingston RAM, Windows 7 64bit, 500Gb system drive, 320Gb Data drive and 1TB RAID-0 for AV, Edius NX Express, EVGA nVidia GTX 570 2.5CB DDR5, 750w ALTEC power and some creativity...

Comment

I don't think this should be public information Mike. I'm sure that Kevin didn't intend for his private conversation to be duplicated? The eagerness to report can sometimes land you in big trouble.
        AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, AMD Radeon 6800XT, 64GB RAM, EDIUS X WG.

Comment

Originally posted by shueardm View Post
          I don't think this should be public information Mike. I'm sure that Kevin didn't intend for his private conversation to be duplicated? The eagerness to report can sometimes land you in big trouble.
          I really believe he would accept this posting because I have made it public to try and get some support behind the adoption of Smartsound as a plug in. There could be many out there just waiting in the belief it could happen. These people need to know the true position. Apart from that, I am a complete stranger to Kevin and I'm sure he would not have disclosed anything confidential to me.
          Mike T
          Mike Trewhella
          Intel Core i7 processor 3770K 3.50GHz, ASUS Sabertooth Z7 Mother Board, NVidia Graphics card GTX 465, 16GB RAM, Antec 300 case, Windows 7 Ultimate (64), Edius 6.55, Vistitle 2.5

Comment

I think he would to, as Smartsound sent out a survey to all it's user's wanting to know if there was anything that could be improved with Smartsound, it wasn't all secrect and undercover ect.

Steve
            Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

Very sad news to read this.
              I wonder who uses the other service, and as most of us have purchased an extensive expensive music database in ss it will never happen that those user switch camp !

Comment

This makes no sense to me at all as the two products are not the same thing. My Music (which I think is a total waste) is oriented much more to the larger productions that can afford original compositions. And even if it was, how does that increase the cost to engineer a plugin by one single cent???

Comment

what the heck gv............darn they were WILLING!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
                    This makes no sense to me at all as the two products are not the same thing. My Music (which I think is a total waste) is oriented much more to the larger productions that can afford original compositions. And even if it was, how does that increase the cost to engineer a plugin by one single cent???
                    I agree with Pat. my music which is pretty much a neddle drop music service is not the same as SS. and I'm not sure what 'headwinds' he sees in aftermarket music.

I think it boils down to perceived number of units in the marketplace. many of these guys don't want to put the time into engineering a version that they dont see sending a ton of units out the door. Probably a good reason why until Vistitle came along, there hasn't been really anything to go up against TMPro.
                    Truefully I didnt even know that there a demo version of SS with E5 until someone mentioned it here a few weeks back.
                    John Sirb
                    Lake Breeze Video Lorain,OH
                    --------------------
                    SYS 1: Edius 9, Vistitle 2.5, Boris Red,Neat Video, Gigabyte Z170x G5, I7 6700K 4.0Mz Skylake, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB x2, NVIDIA QUARTO 2000

JVC HM-100,JVC HM-700, JVC HM-600, Canon 80D

Comment

Honestly the way the answer was written you get the feeling they wanted GV to pay for development. If that is the case then yes it would cost more if you must pay it out your own pocket.

I mean the products are so different........Licensing is different ect. ect.
                      Strange

(I don't think many here on the forum use Mymusic.....)
                      Steve
                      EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
                      A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                      For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Originally posted by MT02MHT View Post
                        Just to update Edius users who were hoping for a Smartsound plugin. I have been communicating with Kevin Klingler the CEO of Smartsound. This is what he replied.
                        "Unfortunately the chances for an Edius plug-in are not good. We had a positive dialog going with the Canopus wing of Grass Valley but unfortunately they decided to "plug-in" a music web site and re-brand it "My Music for Edius". This was a very disappointing thing for me to see after the work we had done to license a demonstration version of SFP for inclusion in their box. The fact that it was branded Edius and was actually plugged into the Edius interface created significant headwinds for us in terms of aftermarket music sales, which suddenly made the cost of engineering a plug-in unmanageable for us.

We remain open to working with them but candidly I think its unlikely now. The whole thing was very unfortunate
                        Kevin Klingler - CEO Smartsound Jan 2010".

This is a great pity because I'm sure there are many users of Edius who also use Smartsound/Sonicfire Pro. Maybe there could be a poll for this? Just a thought.
                        Mike T
                        Mike, if you would ask him for some clarification on that statement. Unless they are somehow wanting GV to subsidize writing their plugin, their cost should not be any different whatsoever. Unless he is saying that GV did not want to pay for another Pluin. And also what is meant by the "Canopus wing of GV"? There is no Canopus wing.

At the very least, if they are very far along on developing that plugin, they could sell it independently of a bundle. Many here have expressed the willingness to pay for that.

Comment

just tried the site......and wth? were supposed to be working fast paced here getting music quick and here we have to pay going through all a order process just for one simple 1 minute loop.......i dont know why they skipepd the chance on sonic fire pro.......and i went to agreesive rock..they gave me techno music!!! what the heck???????

Comment

I tried mymusic . I did not work correct even for the free stuff. I uninstalled it and have never looked back since. I have more free harddrive space now. :)
                            Steve
                            EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
                            A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                            For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

David, read these other posts. I don't think it is a simple GV passed on this.

Mymusic has been a complete waste. I would like to know if even one Edius user has purchased something from them.

If you go back in the forum to when it first came out, this was discussed and you will see more information.

Comment

Working...
                              X