Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Edius on a Mac Using Parallels

Hi Everyone,
    I downloaded my free trial of Edius as a friend is very impressed. I work on an iMac using OSX version 10.5.8 2.66GHz Intel core Duo with 2GB memory.
    I am trying to run it through Parallels which I already have installed on my machine. The trial downloads fine, so now I am trying to get it to capture from my little canon HV30 which I am using so as not to put extra wear on my canon xh-a1s. Anyway, as I have never used the software before, I didn't know what to expect, but I don't see anything on screen as I am trying to capture.
    I see that there are some here that use a Mac through bootcamp. Have any of you tried parallels? What am I supposed to see when I connect my camera through firewire? Is there some command that I am missing. Sorry, I usually use Final Cut and this is all so terribly new to me. Makes me feel like a total newbie lol :)
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum,
    I think most use Bootcamp because Parallels does not provide adequate video overlay for Edius. You should have camera control and see/hear the video as it captures.
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Correct most of us who have macs use bootcamp. It is free and works. :)
      Steve
      EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
      A proud EDIUS EDITOR
      For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

I tried Parallels but did not have enough "juice" to run it.

Comment

Wow, you guys are fast

Thanks for the responses so far. I am impressed. I didn't know that Bootcamp is free. I will try an instal of that, but not sure how many virtual machines I can have on my Mac, lol. Will let everyone know if it works.

Comment

Bootcamp is not really software, it just creates a new partition for you for Windows. You run it from Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Bootcamp Assistant

When you create your Windows partition and install Windows (It's fairly easy), you pop in your Leopard (Or Snow Leopard) disc and install the drivers for it. That's about it.

Comment

There was a guy on this forum who got Edius 4.X to run under parrellels but I didnt get it to run well. I know that everything you have in the machine gets cut in half under it.
              Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Comment

I use VMWare. Less than $50. Recomended by a local Mac Gru.. I love it for my G4 Lap.

In the words of a wise old man. You get what you pay for.
                Mule
                EDIUS v5.51 Broadcast - Dual Xeon Supermicro X7DWA-N with E5450 3.0GHz CPU (8 cores)
                4 GB Ram, 1.0 TB Video Raid (2x500). 5 ea 1.0 TB External Video. 2 500 gb Ext, 320 GB OS Drive .. ATI Radeon HD 4350 with 512 Ram XP Pro with SP 3 HD Sparks, VisTitle

Edius 6.52Dual Xeon Asus P5E3 9650 3.0 4G Ram
                Nvidia9800, 500G Raid (2x250) 1TB&500TB Ext Drives

HPX 2000 AVC Intra, HVX 200, HPX 170, AG-AF 100, Canon D5 MKll.....MacBook G4 w/VMWare FCP Edius 6.2

Comment

There really isnt a comparrison between Bootcamp and Parrelles. Bootcamp only runs on Intel Macs and lets it run like 2 independent machines one Windows and one OSX. Parrellels or VM runs Windows THROUGH OSX which GREATLY reduces your horsepower and compatability. VM Fusion and Parrellels are really only good for programs like "Office" if your going to edit there really is only one option Bootcamp.
                  Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Comment

I second that. If you are serious about Editing with EDIUS use bootcamp.
                    Steve
                    EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
                    A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                    For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Has anyone tested EDIUS X with latest versions of Parallels Desktop recently considering new M1 Apple chips and how the performance is? Stability?
                      Last edited by SlaV0; 05-13-2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

The M1 chip is not on the system requirement list of Edius X and it is designed to run on a windows platform, since edius x still is not able to use a dedicated graphicscard for decoding I would be very surprised if they managed to utilize the power of a M1 chip in a efficient way.

Comment

Originally posted by noafilm View Post
                          The M1 chip is not on the system requirement list of Edius X and it is designed to run on a windows platform, since edius x still is not able to use a dedicated graphicscard for decoding I would be very surprised if they managed to utilize the power of a M1 chip in a efficient way.
                          Yeah, I didn't think about that side of it. Probably you're right - the export performance might be poor due to this lack of support. Anyway, maybe someone have tried that way and can share their opinion. That would be very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by noafilm View Post
                            Interestingly, it's not the ARM/M1 architecture that's the problem.

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

Comment

Working...
                            X