Using DSR11 via OHCI as pass-through Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using DSR11 via OHCI as pass-through Device

Hey guys, no more Storm for my main machine, so I'll be using OHCI for a while (although I dislike the lag)...but I'm using my DSR11 as a pass through device and going to my Sony PVM series monitor via S-Video (Best I can do since the VCR has no component out)...the image is burnt out. Tried to pass through my DVD recorder (It has FireWire passthrough) same thing...so the culprit seems to be the S-Video input on the monitor? My IRE settings on the monitor is 7.5 for NTSC.

If I play a DV/DVCAM deck on the VTR, it's still burnt out...?

I'm using EDIUS 4.24.

Try composite just as a reference.

Newer PVM series or older?

Older ones have dial control. Newer ones have on-screen menu and fun stuff. Lots of settings in there that can get screwed up.

Comment

Hey Brandon...composite looks fine, but obviously I want to stick with S-Video at least since I'm out of Component :(

I have the last model of the "older" PVM series, the 1392 I think? It has the knobs and on screen menu (The old ones don't). It is not the 14M4U, but it's VERY similar with the tally lights etc.

Comment

Ah cool. So your S-Video looks "burnt" eh? Try colorbars. Sounds like maybe there's some kind of shared Component/S-Video circuitry and it's expecting one and not the other.

I believe there were some switches on the back of the monitor having to do with input signal impedance too... but I could be wrong.

Comment

I'm such a doofus! I couldn't see the back of the monitor so I kept plugging into the "Out" port of the S-Video plug!! Put it into the in and it looks perfect.

Please ban me.

Thank you.

:\

Comment

Hahaha... It happens to the best of us. At least you didn't burn something out.

Comment

There is a IRE setting for FireWire in Edius, what should it be set to? Currently it's at 0

Comment

Dave,

If you use the dsr 11 as a pass trough device Edius has a real cool not much talked about setting.
                Since the dsr 11 doesn't have a add setup feature by default all analog is passed trough at 0 ire.
                With Edius you can add setup so that the dsr 11 will display 7.5 at the analog setup.
                The only thing I have still to find out is if all the export modules turn it off at export and file generation or if you have to do it manually.
                ( this is very important to have a legal digital stream)

This feature is way cool. It allows you to do broadcast legal cc even if the pass trough device doesn't have the add setup legal settings.

Steve
                Steve
                EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
                A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Hey Steve,

My monitor has setup, so I set it to 7.5. I'm assuming that DV decks without setup options output at 0 IRE?

Comment

Yes.
                    Dsr 11 is 0 at analog out.
                    The higher end sony decks have the add setup feature.
                    As far as I know JVC is the only company that offers decks in the price range of the dsr 11 that have add setup capability.
                    With the dsr 11
                    Use the 7.5 feature for ohci. The waveform will reflect that change.
                    When doing broadcast work and you need to work in the legal scope it is better to use that setting.

You do have some monitors now with a firewire input. For those it is better to use 0. Because they expect a legal digital stream at 0 and will add setup to that stream automatically to make it broadcast legal.
                    Steve
                    Steve
                    A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                    For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

So I should set it to 7.5 in Edius and 7.5 in the monitor?

I'll be using After Effects via FireWire for a while, and I don't think CS3 even has a feature like that...but we'll see.

Comment

7.5 ohci 7.5 monitor.
                        Nothing will get added or subtracted and monitor will show image at a correct 7.5.
                        Since I still have to do the test on all export modules switch the ohci setup back to 0 (zero) before export or print to tape.
                        This is because I'm not a 100% sure if this gets done automatically.
                        Steve
                        Steve
                        A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

Alright, so work in 7.5 mode in Edius, then switch to 0 if I need to print to tape.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                          X