Capturing HQ to an external drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluetongue View Post
    Canopus HQ is still compressed and the bit rate to the hard drive is around 20mb/s. an IDE 7200rpm drive can handle 25mb/s so you have a small overhead available, as quoted USB 2 transfer is around 400mb/s so an IDE drive in an enclosure is well within the capability of the USB transfer rate.
    Your units are a bit off here...

Canopus HQ averages around 120-160 Mbit/sec, which equates to 15-20 MByte/sec.

USB 2 is 480 Mbit/sec max, which equates to 60 MByte/sec max.

Your conclusion is still correct though - a single IDE drive won't exceed USB 2 maximum transfer, assuming nearly-full USB 2 bandwidth is available.
    It's a different story if you have multiple drives connected to the same bus as they will all have to share bandwidth, but the same is also true for FireWire and SCSI.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
      Canopus HQ averages 120-160 Mbps, so if you're not doing other things over USB and your USB drive isn't fragmented or using a stupid (underperforming) USB bridge, then it should be OK.
      When I capture to the HQ format (standard quality) my file sizes end up about three times that of HDV, which suggests an average bit rate of 3x25 = 75 Mbps or about 10 MB/sec. What indication do you have that it's as high as 120-160 Mbps?
      Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

Originally posted by kwshaw1 View Post
        What indication do you have that it's as high as 120-160 Mbps?
        Because I have a 203 MB clip that's 13 seconds long... which comes out to being about 123 Mbps, and this clip is pre-alpha support. :)

That said, it's both resolution, framerate and content-dependent. Since it's a variable bitrate, it'll go up and down.

Comment

Firewire 800 and bandwidth

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
          Your units are a bit off here...

It's a different story if you have multiple drives connected to the same bus as they will all have to share bandwidth, but the same is also true for FireWire and SCSI.
          I have three LaCie external drives hooked to one PCI slot interface card on a Dell workstation. I soemtimes get "Drive nor fast enough" when capturing HQ. Is there a better configuration for these drives? When I'm capturing, should i turn a couple of them off?

The problem onoy occurs during capture.

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Ménard View Post
            I have three LaCie external drives hooked to one PCI slot interface card on a Dell workstation. I soemtimes get "Drive nor fast enough" when capturing HQ. Is there a better configuration for these drives? When I'm capturing, should i turn a couple of them off?

The problem onoy occurs during capture.

Jacques
            What kind of bus are the drives on? FireWire is a repeater technology. USB is hub-ed.

Does it perform better with fewer drives connected?

Comment

Has anybody tried the new WD mybook world editin with Gbit ethernet? Theretically, correct me if i am mistaken, 1000Mbit/8 = 125MB/sec. Any experience?

Comment

Working...
              X