Removing Echos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Echos

I know Edius is weak in terms of audio but is there anyway to remove or reduce echo? I'm working on a speech that needs help and have tried manipulating the graphic equalizer filter with minimal results. Thanks.
    David
    DMS Films, New York

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com

I am certainly no audio person, but you might try looking at some of the izotope filters in the audio plugins. I am sure some guys will jump in with more specific details.

Comment

if i were you, i would work on it on sound forge or the other sound softwares. but my little suggestion is that what about making your audio "mono"... perhaps it will reduce echo, perhaps perhaps perhaps...

Comment

If your sound "echo" is from the bad room acoustics it will be a difficult one.
        Above suggested "mono" mixing left & right together might help a bit.

Normally I would use an external audio app to dramatically high & low shelve the vocals until only the powerful mid range part of the vocal is left (use graphic and/or parametric EQ to enhance/filter), which normally removes most if not all of the "echo" and unwanted sound effects.
        Then something like using "blend" in the video filters, you mix, either in Edius or external app, both sound tracks with the adjusted over shelved sound a little louder, play with this until you have an acceptable mix.

Remember, same goes for bad video, you are most likely to make it a bit/lot better, it will never be as good as it should be.

I am not using soundforge, but I have read reviews that it is pretty good in certain area's.

p.s. you could also try to use the izotope audio restore filter as mentioned above, and remove those unwanted frequency bands, than to make it less artificial and a little more smooth, mix it back with the badly effected source.
        Last edited by SoundFreak; 11-02-2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

It might be worth trying to Gate the audio so that the echo is reduced, then as this will sound really odd, put back some reverb at a lower level.
          Then, depending on the location of the original audio, mixing in some appropriate ambient sound helps cover things up. It all really depends on what the original audio is like but this technique has worked for me a couple of times in the past.
          System 1 - Win7 64/Edius 5.51/Asus P8/8Gb RAM/RAID0/i7 2600K OC/nVidia Quadra 600
          System 2 - Win XP/Edius v4.61/Asus P5 DH Deluxe/4Gb RAM/RAID0/Quad Core 2.4Ghz Q6600/nVidia 9800GT 512Mb/NXHD + other stuff

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm going to go back to the clip and see what I can do. Cheers.
            David
            DMS Films, New York

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
            Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com

Comment

Check out this series of posts. I can attest to the effectiveness :-)

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=545178

Comment

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting.
                David
                DMS Films, New York

Comment

Working...
                X