Setting "Render format" & the consequence to export quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting "Render format" & the consequence to export quality

the original question (in a confuse thread with swap up to 3 different themes) was :

>Yes, I know the render format has to do with video, it was a side question.
    >Wanted to know if it has to do with the export of the file, even if you select something else when printing to file,
    >or does it just cover say the previewing of the file in the preview window that is on timeline?

IMHO, Yes es it have consequence to the export quality,

(if you not know the (maybe hidden \ secret\ unwritten) rules of "Render Codec Settings" )

extrem example, who I self tested ,to self find out the (for me in the manual hidden) rules from "Render Codec Setting"

HD timeline with 3DPiP
    sourceformat: HQ online -Standard .avi
    Render Codec: HQ offline
    render the 3DPiP part of the timeline
    Export to whatever you wish, up to HQ online-fine

the (rendered) 3DPiP part of the timeline have the quality from "offline"
    it is imho not for only preview, the "Exporter" looks from above on the timeline

it needs imho before export to "higher" as the "Render Codec Setting"
    a) change the "Render Codec Setting" ==> and Edius ask for "delete the rendered files" per pop up
    b) to clear the folder rendered files self over the windoof-Explorer

yes, the example with "offline Render Codec" is extrem, but informative (on a fast way)
    to see the same rules, between HQ Standard and HQ-fine, it needs a broadcast monitor or a beamer (and good eyes)

Originally posted by SRsupport View Post
    I can confirm this Pat. There is no render flush (hope this is the correct term) when the render format is offline= (crap mode) and choosing Hq fine on export.

A small test :
    1Change render format of the project to HQ offline
    2 Put a 1 min clip on the timeline.
    3 In out first 30 sec and choose render in out all.
    4 You see the first 30 sec is blocky
    5 That is ok because you told EDIUS to do that
    6 in out the whole 1 min clip
    7 export to file and choose canopus HQ
    8 open that clip in the player window
    9 Look what happened no flush on offline render so it use the temp to construct the first 30 sec.

This is odd I had send this to GV support a while back ;) but unfortunately I have not got an answer what the logic behind this was. (my logic would be flush all offline renders at export)

There should be a button (don't use render temps at export) export will be longer but You will get the quality.

That's why I leave the render on HQ fine on my desktop and on my laptop I have it on standard but switch to Fine just before export because this deletes all standard renders in one go. :) (you can also choose delete all rendered file but I choose the sure save)
    yuppp ==> I found the old project named: "learn by try and error" the rules from "Render Codec setting"

HD timeline with 3DPiP
    Render Codec: HQ offline
    export to file setting ==> HQ-online-fine

result: the exported to HQ-online-fine file in the player window

================================================== ======

HD timeline with 3DPiP
    Render Codec: HQ online -fine
    export to file setting ==> HQ-online-fine

result: the exported to HQ-online-fine file in the player window

both exported file in the Bin:

Last edited by CentralEurope; 10-11-2009, 09:40 PM.
    CentralEurope aka Hans
    voluntary / unpaid moderator from the german GV-forum ... Edius 4.61 up to Edius 9.xx
    i9-7980XE 18cores/36threads - M.2 960PRO 512GB - M.2 970PRO 1TB - div. 2 or4TB disks - 32GB DDR4-3600 - GTX 1080 8GB - Win_10prof
    [the AMD 1950X 16cores / 32 threads = go return because of massive problems, Not only I had these problems]

>Seraphic wrote:
    >so looks like you want to have your render format set to the same as what you plan to use for your final export

yes and no.....

if you know the (maybe hidden \ secret\ unwritten) rules of "Render Codec Settings"

if you wish in future export to higher format as the "Render Codec Settings"
    ==> change the "Render Codec Settings"
    ==> after this change Edius pop up automatically following window:

==> press "ok" ==> Edius delete automatically the "rendered files" in to dependence to following settings

I prefer the variant "when the file is invalid"

==> export to the new higher format ==> Edius will rendered new (and in the higher format)

Background:
    Proxy editing \ AVCHD editing on laptop in the fields .....or poor PC on weekend

a) AVCHD File Conversion Utility ==> setting to HQ-offline ==> the smallest file-size variant or
    b) AVCHD File Conversion Utility ==> setting to HQ-Custom ==> all file-size variants between Standard and offline are aviable

edit (and render) this project with rendersetting HQ-offline (or individual HQ-Custom) on the laptop

back on the normal WS ==> AVCHD File Conversion Utility ==> setting to HQ-online fine
    import the project from the laptop ==> relink the file ==> change the "Render Codec Settings" to HQ online-fine
    Edius delete automatically the "rendered files" ==> export to whatever in highest quality

Please excuse my "gibberish" english, friendly greetings from ...CentralEurope
    Last edited by CentralEurope; 10-11-2009, 09:41 PM.
    CentralEurope aka Hans
    voluntary / unpaid moderator from the german GV-forum ... Edius 4.61 up to Edius 9.xx
    i9-7980XE 18cores/36threads - M.2 960PRO 512GB - M.2 970PRO 1TB - div. 2 or4TB disks - 32GB DDR4-3600 - GTX 1080 8GB - Win_10prof
    [the AMD 1950X 16cores / 32 threads = go return because of massive problems, Not only I had these problems]

Comment

Can someone from GV clarify the whole pre-rendered timeline segements and under what conditoins these segments will be used to create any 'printed' file.

I was under the impression that any print to file would ignore 'AT ALL TIMES' any pre-rendered timeline segements and create a FRESH complete render for the final file.

I find this a bit disconcerting as I can't find any reference to this 're-using pre rendered timeline segments' in any manual.

I think this needs URGENT clarification for ALL EDIUS USERS

Comment

This will take some time as it will need "word" from the engineering department.
        For now you can use the the render quality change before export or leave the render format on HQ FINE all the time.

I know this does not answer your question but it will at least give a way to be sure that you get the best quality.
        Steve
        EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
        A proud EDIUS EDITOR
        For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

i always set the render format to the same as project.
          JoiCam´s
          Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
          2: 17" Laptop i7 w: Edius 9 Workgroup
          3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
          4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
          Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
          Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
          And more

Comment

Working...
          X