Edius audio output very low. Welcome advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius audio output very low. Welcome advice

I am running Edius 4.6 & outputting via FW into an ADVC 110 for preview and audio monitoring of an SD project. Levels are fine and well recorded with sufficient level at source. However exporting from the timeline to Procoder3 gives very low level audio (at any bit rate). I have tried encoding to various formats all with similar poor result. There must be something basic I'm missing here.
    I don't see that because I am NOT using an o/p card (like a storm) that this should affect the encode as this happens within the system prior to outputting via the card. The origional recorded files are off a Datavideo DN500 and with .dv extension. Edius plays these native off the timeline and I edit them as such. It is only when encoding that the output is incredibly low. I'm aware that playback from the onboard sound card is never good with Edius hence my using the Canopus ADVC 110. Can anyone explain why the default project settings for audio are -20, -18 or -12 db ? thx in advance.

Wildcam
    What audio levels do you get on the timeline using "Audio Mixer" are they normal? ie up to 0db

Ifthe levels are low amplify them with the "Audio Rubber Band" you can get up to 6dB increase, if you want more export the audio (ALL) and manipulate in someting like "Cool Edit or even Nero Audio editor"

I have a ADVC 100 that I have used for SD and have had no problems with the audio level when fed through to a monitor

The Audio preset levels are for when you add colour bars and the associated tone will be at what you have set!

Hope this helps
    Regards Barry
    Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
    GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
    Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
    Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

some more info/still confused

Hi BT. the audio mixer shows levels coming up to -12 dB yet sound out the spkrs is very low. A WAV audio only clip right next to this has audio levels also coming up to -12dB and the sound out of the spkrs is spot on. (Canopus recommend between -9 & -12 dB). PJ settings are 48k/ 16bit mono same as the source recording. I can move the rubberband right up to +12dB but I shouldn't need to go to that extreme. Even if I do audio in the final encode it sounds dreadful. The WAV clip encodes and sounds OK though. Taking a source raw .dv and encoding through Procoder to an HQ AVI makes no difference. It is very confusing.

Comment

None of this sounds good!
        First I have no experience of capturing from the device you quote but capturing from HI8 camera to the /advc100 has given audio levels approaching 0dB

Using capture from DV tape from a DV Camera via Firewire achieves the same result.

From your info increasing the level using the rubber bands should just increase the level; not introduce distortion which is what I assume you are referring to when you say it sounds dreadful, what level did the Audio Mixer show?
        If you exceed 0dBm and the "RED" indicators lock then you will definately get distortion

What are you encoding to with Procoder?
        and what are your settings? so far not much makes much sense as if everything sounds OK on the timeline and registers on the timeline then it should transcode the same

Be aware if the Sound card on your computer has been wound up to make allowance for a low level and your quote of -12dBm peak is rather low then this may be the problem

Regards Barry
        Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
        GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors

Comment

You must be up late Barry . It's 2.30 pm here in UK.
          I'll explain from the source file for clarity. These are captured as SD with audio input @ 0dB on the PPM's (In this case mono as it is all voice). Playback off this device is good level audio thru the system. Bringing thse files unchanged into the Edius Bin they play smoothly straight off the TL but audio o/p is very low (Project settings audio is set to -12dB). The audio mixer levels avge -18dB peaking @ -12dB and I need the fader way up on the external mxr to get reasonable monitoring volume. So it seems Edius is not duplicating the origional audio level from the source files and I cannot find out why.
          Playback from the onboard sound card is low. Outputting to the ADVC110 gives good level audio but this is only for monitoring. Encoding occurs direct from the TL and doesn't care what o/p device is connected and the resulting encode has very low level audio. In this case I encoded a couple of WMV's at various bit rates 500k, 750k all the same. I don't know if this matters but this is Edius 4.6 running on Vista.
          Thx again

Comment

Hi Wildcam

Here are a bunch of questions that may help us determin what is going on.

Are your audio mappings set to correctly....are your clips detected as mono.

May I ask what you are monitoring the output on when it goes through the advc 110.....is it a connected TV/Monitor with built in sound.

Also are you able to connect directly to this TV/monitor with your DATA Video device and playback the files, if so are the audio levels similar.

Are you exporting for DVD or PC/web playback.

Can you export a short clip via procoder (with no modification to audio) then drop the file back on the timeline and play out via the ADVC 110....how are the audio levels compared to the original clips played out this way.
            Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
            www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Originally posted by wildcam View Post
              These are captured as SD with audio input @ 0dB on the PPM's (In this case mono as it is all voice). Playback off this device is good level audio thru the system. Bringing thse files unchanged into the Edius Bin they play smoothly straight off the TL but audio o/p is very low (Project settings audio is set to -12dB). The audio mixer levels avge -18dB peaking @ -12dB and I need the fader way up on the external mxr to get reasonable monitoring volume. So it seems Edius is not duplicating the origional audio level from the source files and I cannot find out why.
              Playback from the onboard sound card is low. Outputting to the ADVC110 gives good level audio but this is only for monitoring. Encoding occurs direct from the TL and doesn't care what o/p device is connected and the resulting encode has very low level audio. In this case I encoded a couple of WMV's at various bit rates 500k, 750k all the same. I don't know if this matters but this is Edius 4.6 running on Vista.
              Thx again
              From What you have told me so far the Audio level meters on your source are reading 0!
              There could be 3 problems
              1: the output from your device may have a suplementary level control that has lowered the level
              2: an impedence mismatch between the Source and ADVC
              3: What audio encoding is set on the ADVC on the rear / bottom dip switches
              To check you have 48Kb selected right click a clip and select properties and check on the Audio tab for the encoded bit rate
              Failing all of that use the "Rubber Bands" (Audio) to bring the audio to peak around 0 but not bringing up the "RED" over level led
              If the audio is at 32kb then that could be the cause of the distortion, maybe, if so set the dip switches on the ADVC to 48kb and re capture
              Also check what "NakedEye" sugested
              Regards Barry

Comment

You may like to consider this test.
                1 Start a new SD project I always use ref -18db
                2 add colour bars to timeline with -18db tone
                3 play in loop mode with audio meter on and observe where the meter is.
                4 export to PC3 and encode to m2v+wav
                5 now add the new wav to TL and repeat step 4 .....is it the same???

Comment

From my experience, the sound levels I get from my Genelec speakers while playing a tune from Sound Forge 9 is ALWAYS lower in volume than when I play back the same tune from EDIUS. I measured a difference of about 9dB.
                  TingSern
                  --------------------------------------
                  Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

latest update

Thanks all for the useful info & apologies for not getting back sooner. I have a new sound card in the post. I have relied too heavily on onboard sound and learnt a good lesson. I have an Asus PFKC mobo which is a good board but from reading plenty of reviews, on board sound is generically poor and not to be relied on. Will be fitting an Asus Xonar DX card. I'll post the result after it arrives. BTW blue Tongue. My backup machine outputs via an HD Spark to a Datavideo TLM 170 monitor. Audio goes thru a little mixer into a pair of Active monitors. The TLM 170 outputs realtime video & audio with SD footage. regards.

Comment

Another possibility is measurement mismatch. To check on that, output a -12dB colorbar from EDIUS back out to your mixer and see what the levels read there.

Comment

Working...
                      X