Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Couch Media
    • Oct 2007

Problems capturing HDV via firewire

I am trying to capture HDV PAL footage from my canon XH A1 and HV20 but both 'decks' produce the same results:

I have full control of the decks and can capture but that this where the joy ends.
    The footage captured is broken up with random horizontal large green blocky lines, random small grey blocks and a horrible corrupted audio sound from time to time and sometimes a few frames os full grey screen.

The footage can be played back in camera and looks 100% normal.

Settings are Canopus HQ 1440 x 1080/50i (the mpeg TS settings create the same result)

The MB, Asus P5B, doesn't have onboard firewire so I have an add on PCI card with 3 FW 400 ports (i've tried all 3 and the XP Pro wizard says the driver is uptodate)

I'm running Edius 4.5 and usually use the DVRapter 2 to capture SD footage or HDV down converted to SD - this system is smooth as silk.

Really not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

The HV20 has HDMI out so I was even thinking I should upgrade to 5 and get another card - would the spark be suitable for capturing or is that just for output?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
    Edius 5.12, E6600 @2.4, Asus P5B, Spark, Gigabyte 9600GT, 3 gig RAM, 160 gig system hdd plus 1TB,500,500 plus external Lacie 1TB and NAS 150Gig Raid 0,
    WEB: www.couchmedia.com.au BLOG: www.weddingvideomelbourne.net.au
  • Couch Media
    • Oct 2007

Update

It seems the problem was the conflict with DVRapter. From reading other threads I downloaded mpeg Capture from GV and used it but with-ought running edius so to bypass the conflict
    Edius 5.12, E6600 @2.4, Asus P5B, Spark, Gigabyte 9600GT, 3 gig RAM, 160 gig system hdd plus 1TB,500,500 plus external Lacie 1TB and NAS 150Gig Raid 0,

Comment

• Couch Media
      • Oct 2007

Update (2) Scene Detect?

All seems to be working ok - I also was able to select Canopus HQ

I edit weddings and I rely on scene detect to break up reception/ceremony footage and assist in selecting takes etc. It looks like mpeg capture and D-VHS MPEG2 Transport Stream Capture don't offer scene detect.

N.B D-VHS MPEG2 Transport Stream Capture also worked for M2T capture outside of Edius to bypass earlier mentioned conflict.

As I imagine I will be doing more HD editing from now on, what set up do I need to capture Canopus HQ files with scene detect.

Does HDStorm do this for example?

Comment

• SoundFreak
        Banned
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Couch Media
        what set up do I need to capture Canopus HQ files with scene detect.
        You can set this (dividing at timecode break etc.) inside the settings of Edius, if you capture either HQ or MT2 through firewire it will work fine.

If you want to output (monitoring purpose, color grading etc.) HD(V) at full res YUV color space you'll need something like HDSpark.

If you want to dump the timeline to HDV tape you can use again the standard firewire connection, using the MTS writer to play out a MT2 file.

If you want to capture HDMI (HQ codec only !) you can do this with HDstorm.

For me I'm still more on the analog side of SD and HD so I will stick with my trusty NX for a long time to come.

Comment

• Couch Media
          • Oct 2007

thanks

Thanks Tony. I've just ordered the upgrade to 5 with Spark and a Benq monitor from Mark Lampard.

Bye bye Rapter card - actually I might as well take out the card now and remove the software so the conflict mentioned at the start of the post will be resolved and I can capture the rest of the project from within Edius with scene detect! Doh, it's interesting how things get worked out as you type!!

Comment

Working...