...now Edius won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...now Edius won't start!

I had a BSOD today while transferring a project across the network.

Now Edius is stopped by Vista's Data Execution Prevention. Here's the details...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: EDIUS.exe
    Application Version: 5.10.0.13
    Application Timestamp: 4a3a83c8
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_e52f
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Offset: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 00000008
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: e52f
    Additional Information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
    Additional Information 3: 860f
    Additional Information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635

I have excluded Edius.exe from Data Execution Prevention, but E5 won't start.
    Thankfully my project is safely backed up on my DroboPro, I do NOT need this right now!
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

So after a couple of hours of going freaky, I need to listen to my own advise...
    System Restore is Your Friend!
    (sheese)
    i'm ok now
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Comment

Hi Rusty,

Don't just rely on System Restore. Have an external backup as well (I use Acronis True Image Home), and take at least 2 generations of backups. Do that when the system is working fine - then when things do go wrong, you know you have a good backup to fall back upon.
      TingSern
      --------------------------------------
      Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        System Restore is Your Friend!
        I'm surprised that it did work, it never worked for me though. (it have it even disabled)
        Acronis Disk Director Suite (with bootable media) is my friend since years and has never let Edius down.

Comment

Thanks guys...
          I generally don't make such a fuss over my system drive as there's nothing in it that I can't live without. The only problem was Edius... who knows what that was about.
          I've had several positive experiences with System Restore, so I'll still recommend it.

On your advice, I'll make an image tonight.
          Rusty Rogers | Films

Comment

I've had several positive experiences with System Restore, so I'll still recommend it.
            I just saw that you are using Vista 64, maybe it works better in that version.( I'll wait for official hardware support to jump in the 64 bit arena with Win 7, now on software only test with 12 GB ram, nice)
            I had several failure's in the past with XP, since then I use an Image, recently I also tested system restore with SP3, same result.
            Now I have switched OFF system restore entirely, less traffic on the boot drive :)

p.s. even on a moderate speedy system it's only a fraction slower than system resore, and works every time .............

I generally don't make such a fuss over my system drive as there's nothing in it that I can't live without.
            Same here, but an image saves hours of re-installing and tweaking, a re-image takes mostly nothing more than 10 minutes, that is from a crashed frozen windows (worst case scenario :)) to a fully up and running Edius, latest version with all OS tweaks in place..........

I even practice 2 physical HDD with OS & Edius, each having multiple stages back-up, 1 in the system, having the latest image versions, 1 more unit in my desk's drawer, usually having a little bit older Image files, but ready for immediate use even with Edius 5.12, using a swappable bay it's fast and easy :)
            Last edited by SoundFreak; 09-23-2009, 06:11 AM. Reason: additinal info

Comment

same here, System Restore has failed 9 out of 10 times in many XP PC belonging to friends/neighbours etc

I use Norton Ghost 2003 to make regular images by using the floppy or CD to another internal drive, takes 9minutes to make and 9min to restore

I have restored many times when trial software caused problems such as trashing codecs

Note: never use Norton Ghost 2003 from its windows interface, this will render your PC unbootable, because Ghost 2003 was not designed with Sata drives in mind
              Anton Strauss
              Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                Note: never use Norton Ghost 2003 from its windows interface, this will render your PC unbootable, because Ghost 2003 was not designed with Sata drives in mind
                Similar might apply to (powerquest) Partition Magic (before it was absorbed by the Big N), it also failed every now and then to re-store Edius, and come to think of it, I was using Sata drives.

Comment

I disabled System Restore even in Vista 64. Save disk space. And - rely totally on (a) Acronis True Image Home (backup to removable HDDs) and (b) CA Restropect (backup to tape drive).

I never have an issue so far - other than the initial problem of Arconis not being to sense my USB HDD. That was for an older version of Arconis. The newest version (11) even senses my eSATA HDDs when I was booting up the standalone version. Great. No need to use the "VERY SLOW" USB HDD anymore.
                  TingSern
                  --------------------------------------
                  Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Working...
                  X