Segment Encode for Mpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segment Encode for Mpeg

Let's see if I'm wrapped around this right. Using segment encode to export an mpeg timeline will allow you NOT to have to recompress the portions of the timeline that no changes have been made to (transitions, color correction, etc), but ONLY if the export settings match the CBR bitrate of the mpeg file(s) on the timeline. From a couple of quick experiments, that seems to be the case.

What if the mpeg file on the timeline is vbr and not cbr? Is there a way to insure recompression does not take place? If you specify avg and max bitrates in the export dialogue to match the avg/max displayed by the timeline clip's Expansion Info properties, will that work? I'm trying short segments before taking on a large project, and I'm not sure what's happening in these short files.

I have found that XDCAM EX mpeg can be segement encloded if you use VBR
    average 33M and max 35M and exactly the same frame size and rates.

Standard Mpeg 2 from consumer cams is hit & miss.

Mpeg 2 from Edius - reedited is fine so long as u use same settings.

Comment

Hi- this is interesting. I have a large collection of mpeg files that I occasionally need to tweak. They were mostly created in procoder- and mostly closed GOP CBR encoded.
      But I'm not always sure what the bit rate I used at the time was. Is there a way- in neo, or using other software- to find out the original encoding parameters, so I can copy them and use segment encoding on all future tweaks?
      Work: Edius 7.20.437 on HP Z220 workstation; Edius 6.08 on i7 running Win 7 64 bit 6 GB RAM. Neo 2.0 on a Lenovo T61. JVC GY-HD201 and GY-HD110.
      Home: Canon HV20 and Panasonic GH1 (hacked); Neo 3.01 on HP elitebook 8440p i7 and Neo 1 on homemade dualcore desktop.

Comment

there are a number of apps that can tell ya this info

my fave is

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

since u can right click on any file and it tell ya all ya need to know

Comment

Rob, I'm not sure about Neo, but in Edius 5, if you right click on a clip on the timeline or in the BIN, and look at Properties, one of the tabs is marked Expansion Info. This will show you the bitrate.

There also is a company called Womble that has several programs that do a great job of basic editing of mpg files without recompression except where necessary

www.womble.com

They have several different apps available at very reasonable prices, and are feature rich. If you have a lot to do, but only need fairly simple editing on the clips, you might want to check them out too.

Tom

Comment

Thanks- I'll check them both out.
            Womble looks interesting, but if I can get this working fairly easily, I'd prefer to stick with Edius/Neo. I find it hard moving between NLEs- brain-fatigue sets in when shortcuts and tools aren't where I expect.
            Work: Edius 7.20.437 on HP Z220 workstation; Edius 6.08 on i7 running Win 7 64 bit 6 GB RAM. Neo 2.0 on a Lenovo T61. JVC GY-HD201 and GY-HD110.
            Home: Canon HV20 and Panasonic GH1 (hacked); Neo 3.01 on HP elitebook 8440p i7 and Neo 1 on homemade dualcore desktop.

Comment

Working...
            X