Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video goes black on timeline - Edius 4.61

Hello,
    The issues I'll will write about here might have been addressed in version 5 of Edius. But I just bought 14 licenses of Edius 4.61 in the middle of 2008 so I don't have any plan to upgrade it soon. So the point is:I have 14 HP xw8400 Workstations (dual Dual-Core Xeon 3.0Ghz Processors, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX1500, Windows XP SP3) running Edius 4.61! I use two 19" VGA monitors in each workstation so my FX1500's are configured as dual independent monitors with 1280x1024 resolution. The left monitor is set as primary so the Windows taskbar stays only on it. I edit XDCAM MXF files all the time. With XDCAM SD files (DVCAM) everything is ok. But when I edit XDCAM HD files some weird problems happen.
    The first one was that one day the bin became very very slow to show clips' thumbnails. No matter if I imported 20 or 200 clips. It was pretty much slow. Something like 1 hour to show the thumbnail of 50 clips. After weeks of research I found that the bottom of my bin window was positioned a little bit out of my desktop. When I moved it back inside my desktop the thumbnails showed like they normally. OK, so let's go on with the second (unsolved) problem...
    I use these workstations in a broadcast facility editing 3 to 5 minutes news videos. My bin usually have something like 70 to 120 clips each one with 5 to 7 minutes. In the middle of the editing process some clips in the timeline simply go black in the Edius PGM Monitor. They were always there. I already played them back in the timeline. But suddenly they go black. If I scrub the cursor over that clip it shows on the monitor but when I release the cursor it goes black again. When this start to happen Edius will crash some minutes after.I noticed that if I double click one of this erractic clips in the timeline it will show up again in monitor.
    Well...I know that this is a long post, but what I'm trying to know is if someone else already experienced this?!?! I'm suspecting that this may be related with the same kind of problem with the thumbnails, but I'm not sure.

DOES GRASS VALLEY SUPPORT TEAM KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS????

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel Dagostini

does this problem happen on all 14 HP workstations or only one?

it just sounds like a graphics card problem, 4.61 is totally rock solid software
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post

it just sounds like a graphics card problem, 4.61 is totally rock solid software
      maybe overlay settings?
      Paranova Films
      Cali - Colombia

GODZILLA WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT 32 Gb RAM, 4 INTEL CORE i7 3,30 Ghz, RAID 12 Tb HDD, NVIDIA GForce GTX980i, EDIUS 8 Workgroup with Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme, ADOBE PRODUCTION STUDIO CS3, COREL MOVIE FACTORY 7

http://www.paranovafilms.com/
      http://www.youtube.com/user/paranovafilmsLTDA

Comment

The problem occurs randomly among several workstations. I would not say ALL of them. The instalation of all workstations is identical.

My overlay settings are set to Direct3D9!

Comment

Check your RAM, or do a Disk Check....sometimes they can play some bad tricks on you, and do a defrag of the drives, and sounds like these drives get little rest, so also clean out your temp folders and your prefetch folders....helped me a few times, it MAY help you too.....remember I said MAY

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post

I agree with Anton. I have that card in my closet now andit was on a machine with 4.61. It is a 256mb card. If you are using full 1920x1080 presets you will need at least a 512mb card for that. As far as refresh, it may be a driver issue. Update your drivers and see what happens.
            Also, do a search within the forum about the number of clips in the bin. I think there was a recent thread dealing with a large number of clips slowing the system down.
            Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com
            If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
            http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I have already tested memory modules using the latest MemTest86 and got no errors.
              I'll try updating my nVidia Quadro to the latest drivers and let you know the result!

I'm aware about that issue with the number of clips in the bin. But that's DEFINITELY NOT my problem. I noticed when I add more clips to the bin EDIUS gets slower to show the thumbnails. But in my case it's even worse. Way much slower. And I confirmed several times that if I move the bin window back inside my desktop everything gets faster!

Thanks,

Gabriel Dagostini

Comment

I forgot to mention that I don't think my problem has anything to do with my graphics card memory! I have another two workstations (besides those 14) that have Quadro FX 1700, wich are 512MB cards! And those workstations presents the same problem too.

Comment

Working...
                X