Preserve sequence alpha data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserve sequence alpha data

I'm running Edius 5.1 and have a sequence comprising of many TitleMotion clips on a number of 'T' tracks - no other tarcks in the sequence.

I want to use this a number of times in other sequences but when I bring it in the alpha is lost and I just get a black background. Is this normal or is there a way to preserve transparency between sequences?

Thanks for the help

Alan
    Alan.

More or less retired now. Still on the Essex(UK) coast. Edius 8.2wg all sorts of other, more or less redundant kit - production & Post.

Originally posted by alanlacey View Post
    I'm running Edius 5.1 and have a sequence comprising of many TitleMotion clips on a number of 'T' tracks - no other tarcks in the sequence.

I want to use this a number of times in other sequences but when I bring it in the alpha is lost and I just get a black background. Is this normal or is there a way to preserve transparency between sequences?

Thanks for the help

Alan
    Edius does not have full alpha handling capabilities. As long as you do not
    export out you will be fine. If you have another editor or AE, photoshop for that matter will do it as well, you can create your main plate.
    If you use the files in embedded sequences the files should retain the alpha. You will be using the original from the bin.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-30-2009, 11:47 AM.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Hi Alan

You'll probably find that this issue is related to your Alpha Channel problem. (I'd be pleased to find out I'm wrong though!)

Trevor
      Intel Quad Core Extreme 3GHz/12M, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb Hot-swap (ARAID), NVIDIA GeoForce 8800 GTS, Edius Broadcast 4.61 / Edius 5.5, Procoder 3, DVDit Pro HD, Sonicfire Pro 5, Mercalli, Vitascene, Adorage. TwinPact 100, Pegasus, TMPro. VirtualDub

Comment

Thanks both!

Trackranger, I don't think this is an issue for me as I'm not trying to export/import any media.

Jerry, yes as I'm only staying within Edius, no export involved, I was surprised that the transparency info of one sequence didn't transfer to another. You imply that it should. Is there a setting somewhere I've missed?

I do have AE(5.5), Vegas(8) and PS(CS4) loaded on that machine but it's the whole sequence of TM clips that I'm after using multiple times within Edius.

Thanks for your interest.

Alan
        Alan.

More or less retired now. Still on the Essex(UK) coast. Edius 8.2wg all sorts of other, more or less redundant kit - production & Post.

Comment

Thanks both!

Trackranger, I don't think this is an issue for me as I'm not trying to export/import any media.

Jerry, yes as I'm only staying within Edius, no export involved, I was surprised that the transparency info of one sequence didn't transfer to another. You imply that it should. Is there a setting somewhere I've missed?

I do have AE(5.5), Vegas(8) and PS(CS4) loaded on that machine but it's the whole sequence of TM clips that I'm after using multiple times within Edius.

Thanks for your interest.

Alan
          Here is an alternative. Take your exported clip and import on top of the video that you wish to see. Try the Luminosity or the Chromakey keyers to see what you can get with keying out the black.

OR,
          Use the alpha matte solution described here by Brandon.

Create a title.
          Create a color clip.
          Click the title in the bin.
          Hold down Control, then click the color clip in the bin.
          Release Control, and right-click either the title or color clip.
          Select Convert|Alphamatte

In the EDIUS Bin, you need to load both the alpha matte clip and the content clip.
          Select them both (drag over or Control-click), then right-click one of the selected files and choose File | Alphamatte.

A window will pop up where you can choose the key/fill and whether to use alpha or lumuninance matte. After you confirm, EDIUS will render a new file that contains an embedded alpha channel with the fill. You can use this on the timeline and the transparent parts will show the background through.

Here is a thread I found on the web:
          http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/in...p/t-94972.html
          Last edited by Jerry; 08-30-2009, 01:28 PM.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Jerry will the steps you listed retain the gradients that a true alpha file will support? like variable transparency (drop shodaw).

Alan, if your plan is to use this graghic set ( that was made within edius ) on future edius projects. why not just create a seperate proj./sequence. with just these assets. then as you need them on new proj./sequences you can do a "import sequence" and these assets will retain the alpha and still be able to be modified if needed.
            Andrew Fogell www.videounlimited.net

Comment

Jerry will the steps you listed retain the gradients that a true alpha file will support? like variable transparency (drop shodaw).

Of that I am not sure. If I am going to reuse certain titles over and over, I just do them in AE and add effects there. Output to HQ+alpha and your in business. That is real simple to me....at least until we get full alpha handling.
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Hi Jerry,

I've tried keying the composite TM sequence both Luma and chroma and can't get anything useful.

The closest I've come is applying a 'screen' blend mode to the sequence clip but it's still not just a genuine alpha use.

The funny thing is that if I leave the TM sequence clip in the timeline (above the clip I want to key over) and open one of the contributing TM title clips from the bin to edit, then the viewer shows genuine alpha use. Close TM and we're back with the problem.

Brandon's method I don't think will work as I'm only dealing with multiple TM clips and am not using any other fill source.

I've never really used AE for caption generation, I'd much prefer to stay with TMP.

I'm sure you're right that the problem lays with Edius not having full alpha support, but with all the blend modes available I find that hard to believe.

Andrew, that's the problem. I try to use the sequence and the keying just doesn't work.

Thanks

Alan
                Alan.

Comment

I'm sure you're right that the problem lays with Edius not having full alpha support, but with all the blend modes available I find that hard to believe.

Alan
                  HQ supports alpha as does Edius in general. Having full alpha(being able to export alpha and use on titles and transitions) Edius definitely does NOT have it. This is the biggest issue that I have with Edius. Trust me, try some titles with some of the GPU effects and watch what happens.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                  X