add footage from DVD to new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add footage from DVD to new project

I have a SD project from a while back that the client wants modified by adding new footage from a DVD-R. The footage from the DVD is good. What is the best way to add this to the time line so that when the new DVD is made the quality will not take a big hit?

Thanks
    Ronnie Martin
    Ronnie Martin
    Kato Video Productions
    main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Not much choice on this one...rip the DVD (Disc Capture will work in Edius) put on timeline, edit and then export to your choice.

Comment

Thanks Pat.... I was afraid of that...I had hoped there would be a better choice.

Ronnie
      Ronnie Martin
      Kato Video Productions
      main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Comment

Originally posted by RonnieMartin View Post
        Thanks Pat.... I was afraid of that...I had hoped there would be a better choice.

Ronnie
        I did a re-edit of a dvd a while ago, similar to what you are doing (no original footage available) and did a test, DVD rip with disc capture & also a analog capture using NX s-video, while editing the DVD rip looked better on output screen (CRT monitor from the NX).

After final render and re-authoring of the clients DVD the captured version won, the captured version from the DVD looked less sharp then the ripped version but a sharpness filter on the final edit solved that and the new DVD version didn't show Mpeg artifacts as the re-encoded ripped version did ever so slightly here and there.

To end this example, if time permits, do a test, your result may vary but you're never sure until tried :)

Comment

Interesting Tony. Were the two versions equal in quality other than the occasional artifact? Maybe worth a try Ronnie if you have time.

Comment

Ronnie....
            I also have had to do a bunch of this, and here's what I found. Ripping directly is basically a digital copy (little, if any digital loss), and the capture through analog is just that - an analog version of the original. My experience is that the digital capture is more faithful to the original in clarity, and the analog capture might be a bit "smoother" (like less jaggies, if any), but lack some of the finer resolution. My screening room has a 14 1/2 ft. HD screen, and helps me to make some of these decisions. I vote for the best and cleanest copy and manipulate that as you wish, rather than the smoother copy which might lack some of the "pop" and resolution of the original. Even with "sharpening". As with everything else in this industry - it's a matter of choice and preference. As Tony wisely suggested - a test for you might reveal some interesting results. And do let us all know you experience!
            My two cents only!
            Cheers,
            Alan
            Alan J. Levi
            Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

Thanks guys.... I really appreciate all the info...... I go for the ripping..

Ronnie
              Ronnie Martin
              Kato Video Productions

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
                Were the two versions equal in quality other than the occasional artifact?
                I Would say yes & no at the same time, when you rip you maintain the digital domain, which is a good thing.
                When you capture you'll sure loose something in the conversion, it's more a choice you need to make for yourself regarding the original crisp sharpness or the "different" sharpness but silky smooth, sort of warm analog kinda feel.

Not sure how to explain this, it's like the difference between cold super clean digital recorded sound or a recording made with excellent vintage high end analog equipment, the warm and cold kinda feeling.
                Last edited by SoundFreak; 08-06-2009, 01:38 AM. Reason: spelling :)

Comment

Nicely put, Tony. Wish I would have said it that way!
                  Cheers,
                  Alan
                  Alan J. Levi
                  Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

Working...
                  X