Pc Struggling to edit Hi Def

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc Struggling to edit Hi Def

I am editing a 2 minute commercial and the pc seems to be really struggling.

its fine with HDV if you don't add any effects, but as soon as you add effects it seems to start to struggle.

My PC specs are

Windows XP home
    Processor a
    2.67 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
    board: Intel Corporation DP965LT AAD41694-206
    Serial Number: AZLT649002GE
    Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. MQ96510J.86A.0816.2006.0716.2308 07/16/2006

Drives
    3560.64 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    1342.33 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S [CD-ROM drive]
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S [CD-ROM drive]
    ST3400620AS [Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- drive 0
    WD 10EAVS External USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 2
    WD 10EAVS External USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 3
    WDC WD10 EACS-00D6B1 USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 4
    WDC WD1600AAJS-00PSA0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1

Memory Modules c,d
    3326 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Slot 'J6H1' has 2048 MB (serial number 0x74103F2A)
    Slot 'J6H2' has 2048 MB (serial number 0x7510C02A)
    Slot 'J6J1' is Empty
    Slot 'J6J2' is Empty

Display
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT [Display adapter]
    Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (23.1"vis, s/n HVZQC00878, December 2008)

Multimedia
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

so if anybody can tell me is my pc up to scratch?
    Do I need a new motherboard or something?
    Or is it a simple setting?

do you think its my 'on board ram' that is too small?

Comment

Windows XP 32 (Home) can only address a maximum of 4GB. It is less than 4GB normally - usually around 3.2GB - depending on the VGA BIOS and other BIOS settings. So - even if you increase the RAM - it is useless in this config.

Can you go Task Manager, under Performance and tell us what is the CPU and memory like when you do your EDIUS tasks?
      TingSern
      --------------------------------------
      Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Are the drives configured as a RAID? External drives often fail here.
        I'd say it's the bus speed, not the RAM.
        Rusty Rogers | Films
        >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
        >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
        Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

As I stated in one of your many threads about this...it was possibly an inadequate subsystem.Meaning hard drive throughput. If you are unfamiliar with these terms, do a search on the web for these answers. Learning these and other terms, and what they do, will help you down the road.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com
          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

If he is editing HDV natively, then disk I/O is probably not the bottleneck since HDV is only ~25Mbps.

My first guess is that the GeForce 7600 GT can't handle the GPU effects, it normally only has 256MB of RAM and probably needs to swap to system memory, which is slow.

My second guess would be the CPU -- converting from HDV to Canopus HQ would help in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by THoff View Post
              If he is editing HDV natively, then disk I/O is probably not the bottleneck since HDV is only ~25Mbps.

My first guess is that the GeForce 7600 GT can't handle the GPU effects, it normally only has 256MB of RAM and probably needs to swap to system memory, which is slow.

My second guess would be the CPU -- converting from HDV to Canopus HQ would help in that case.
              He is saying he can't edit HD. No mention of effects stopping the
              system. In general, I found that 1440x1080 would pass on 256mb of ram on the
              video card. I do agree 512 to 1gb would be best.I don't think it is the processor. I have a 2.4 doing uncompressed
              HD. His other posts specifically stated he was using HQ.

Using Usb drives to edit HQ will bottle neck easily.
              Read a few of his other posts.
              Last edited by Jerry; 08-03-2009, 08:43 PM.
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                He is saying he can't edit HD. No mention of effects stopping the
                system.
                Read his post again.
                Originally posted by skybrady
                its fine with HDV if you don't add any effects, but as soon as you add effects it seems to start to struggle.

Comment

Read his post again.
                  Struggling and stopping are 2 different things.
                  We also need to make sure if he is calling hdv as mpeg or
                  HQ. That is why I mentioned to read his other posts.
                  I do agree with the video card being underpowered.

Also is he pre filling the buffer on the effects that
                  make the system "struggle."
                  Last edited by Jerry; 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Nobody besides you mentioned stopping. Read what I wrote again -- I doubt the GeForce 7600GT can handle effects in realtime because it a) isn't a very powerful GPU, and b) typically only has 256MB of RAM and is thus forced to the swap frame buffer contents with system memory, which is very slow and prohibits realtime performance.

If playback stops, then change the playback preference so it doesn't stop on dropped frames. It may then no longer be realtime, but at least it will keep playing. If that is not acceptable, render.

Regarding your second point, my advice was conditioned on HDV being edited natively, that's why I started my post that way.

Comment

Sky - here's a real quick question, and it may sound silly, but I've head worse. Is your audio mixer open on your monitor? This will make all the difference in the world, since when the monitor is open the buffer will never fill enough to edit much HD. CLose it, if open, and see thedifference. Hope it's something simple like that - because I was editing HDV with a 2.16Mhz dual for years, and it was OK down to 3-5 effects.
                      best of luck,
                      Alan
                      Alan J. Levi
                      Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

Nobody besides you mentioned stopping. Read what I wrote again -- I doubt the GeForce 7600GT can handle effects in realtime because it a) isn't a very powerful GPU, and b) typically only has 256MB of RAM and is thus forced to the swap frame buffer contents with system memory, which is very slow and prohibits realtime performance.

If playback stops, then change the playback preference so it doesn't stop on dropped frames. It may then no longer be realtime, but at least it will keep playing. If that is not acceptable, render.

Regarding your second point, my advice was conditioned on HDV being edited natively, that's why I started my post that way.
                        You are also assuming this guy knows what
                        he is doing. No offense to OP. Knowing how
                        to set all of that up I believe is beyond his
                        proficiency level. That is why I asked you
                        to read the other posts to at least see the skill
                        set the OP has. That is all, you seem to think
                        that I am not in agreement with your asesment.
                        I totally agree but was trying to keep from
                        insulting the OP.That's all.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

His system is very close to my old system and it struggled with Native HDV once any filter was added.
                          The only way native will work with filters is to use a Quad processor and even then the RT is reduced dramatically
                          I agree with you Thoff, he must convert to HQ, his processor and system will capture in HQ so this is the way he should set up, and he seems to have adequate disk space
                          For reference HQ takes around 4 time the disk space

Sky in the BIN right click on the captured clips and select convert and the directory to save to and also set your project up so your "RENDER FORMAT" to CanopusHQ, there are three settings I use "FINE"
                          Regards Barry
                          Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                          GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                          Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                          Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetongue View Post
                            His system is very close to my old system and it struggled with Native HDV once any filter was added.
                            The only way native will work with filters is to use a Quad processor and even then the RT is reduced dramatically
                            I agree with you Thoff, he must convert to HQ, his processor and system will capture in HQ so this is the way he should set up, and he seems to have adequate disk space
                            For reference HQ takes around 4 time the disk space

Sky in the BIN right click on the captured clips and select convert and the directory to save to and also set your project up so your "RENDER FORMAT" to CanopusHQ, there are three settings I use "FINE"
                            Regards Barry
                            Keep in mind that using HQ not only requires more space but more throughput as well. The USB drives may, or may not work with the HQ and effects.
                            Here is a link to one of his earlier threads about HQ on his machine.
                            This is where the 'stopping' phrase came from.

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ad.php?t=12448
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV
                            www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

I use a USB drive with my laptop and have no problems, the throughput measures 52Mbs considerably higher than HQ requires and captures easily so I assumed he would be OK

I also use an external RAID on Firewire 800 and that measures 95Mbs
                              Both using Diskbench

HQ takes the load off the processor, throughput required in HQ in Fine seems to be around 18Mbs and with a Slow processor I feel is the way to go

There is no reason to remain in "Native" as the moment a "Cut" is done on a clip or two clips combined on a timeline the whole timeline has to be re rendered for output to maintain the MPEG Structure anyway
                              Regards Barry
                              Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                              GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                              Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                              Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Working...
                              X