Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrackRanger View Post
    Ummm, for the record... I think you mean her posts
    So I googled Sky Scott - well I'd come into the air con studio taking a break from mowing the lawn, while waiting for the Beers to chill......http://www.skyscottvideography.com.au/
    What can you say other than the website talks the talk BUT..... and am I the only grumpy one who hates websites with audio (video) that auto plays.

No one no matter how newbie, should feel intimidated to ask a question here BUT ONLY AFTER THEY HAVE PUT SOME SELF HELP IN FIRST which includes RTFM and Google.

Beers are chilled!!!!

Comment

I think it's really rude to talk about me the way you have.
      Look at this google result.. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...meta=&aq=f&oq=
      it might as well be in japanese for me, because I don't understand what they are talking about.
      and I fail to see how javascripting is relevant as one of the links states...

Forums are about support and assistance, and not bad mouthing other users.

Edius should supply a user guide that details the specifications and what they are for.

By the way, since when is SKY a boys name??
      Thanks TrackRanger for correcting.

As I have said .. I have done a lot of googling.
      also the search function isn't crash hot on this forum, somebody else might search the same question.. but this thread won't come up unless they search using words I have used!

Before I started my own biz - and got Edius.. I was making home movies using 'windows movie maker' which doesn't have many options or any customisations, and it certainly doesn't have all the encoding options.

Edius is pretty straight forward if you are doing 'DV' but now that I'm doing 'HDV' that is where the problems with compression and these new options comes in.

Digital Dave - a website has to have the PRODUCT you are selling. You can't sell photography with no photos, and you can't sell video with no video.

The people in this thread have been suprisingly rude, as I have said I HAVE googled quite a bit, and I have also used 'creativecow' which isn't very helpful if you're using edius.

People being 'put down' in the forums, makes people stop posting... which makes forums close.. which makes people not buy a product because there is no support.

Comment

Sky don't take it all to serious, it was a bit of a jump from windows Movie maker to Edius though if you don't understand what these formats are. maybe you should get a less Professional NLE to start with and learn to understand what the following mean and do.
        canopus hq avi
        canopus lossless avi
        dv avi
        dv stereo
        dolby digital ac3
        still img
        pcm aiff
        pcm wave
        mpeg generic

Steve
        Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

I think that the majority of question where not directly edius related. They where about some basics and compression format which are universal across editing applications.
          Everybody is pointing out to get your self familiar with the basics.

Help with EDIUS will always be given by many good willing people on the forum. But not many will do a basic class on tv technology.
          Steve
          EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
          A proud EDIUS EDITOR
          For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

There isn't a less professional NLE
            all the 'kids' at 'students' seem to use adobe premiere, and I found that a 'lagging' and 'lugging' program that made you do 10 things to get 1 result.. edius is much more straight forward in that regard

Comment

Agree SRsupport.

Steve
              Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

Also don't class on demand do a training DVD or some one for Edius, (if I remember correctly) it might be worth
                looking into Sky and buying one (you can always claim it back on tax).

Steve

Comment

Let's keep things civil here, and stick to answering the basic questions being asked.

If your response is going to be "just google/search it" without actually linking to the answers being sought after, reconsider responding. It only drags things out and makes everyone unhappy.

Comment

Kenneally as I said maybe she should look for one of the training DVD'S that are out, it would save the Googling ect plus might benefit her in other areas as well.

Steve

Comment

Have a look at http://www.webopedia.com or even wikipedia as these often may help you with some of the terms that you are after. There are some other "technical" dictonarys on the web but I don't remember their names right now.
                      i7 3930K, Win 10 pro 64 Bit.
                      RAM 32 GB.
                      ASUS P9X79-Deluxe.
                      PS Thermaltake 1kW.
                      Graphics Gigabyte GTX1660 OC.
                      OS:Intel 535 SSD 480 GB, Data: two 2TB WD Cavier Black, RAID 0.
                      Cameras: Sony EX1, AX100, x1000v, A7R4, DJI Mavic 2 Pro
                      SW: Edius v8.53 WG & 9.52 WG, Vegas 17 Pro, CS6, Resolve Studio 16, Hitfilm 2017, Sound Forge 13, SpectraLayers Pro v6.0, Neat Video v5, Vistitle 2.8.5 TMPEnc VMWorks 7, Auth. Works 6, MochaPro v4.1, Robuskey, DVD Architect 7, 3D LUT Creator.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
                        Let's keep things civil here, and stick to answering the basic questions being asked.

If your response is going to be "just google/search it" without actually linking to the answers being sought after, reconsider responding. It only drags things out and makes everyone unhappy.
                        In fairness to all KH, look back at some of the questions in other threads.

I think you would agree that demonstrating that a little self help etc has been undertaken, prior to asking a question always produces a better level of response......am I allowed to mention the cricket, which I watched while of course Editing with EDIUS?

Comment

Originally posted by skybrady View Post
                          I think it's really rude to talk about me the way you have.

The people in this thread have been suprisingly rude, as I have said I HAVE googled quite a bit, and I have also used 'creativecow' which isn't very helpful if you're using edius.
                          I think what you are missing about this forum is that it is about GV Products, i.e., NX, HDSTORM, SPARK, THUNDER, NEO, Edius and what ever else GV has.
                          Anyone on this forum is more than willing to help you with questions related to these products.
                          We are not teachers of video editing 101.

If you consider us rude for asking you to learn a few things on your own
                          so that our answers to your questions make more sense, then so be it.

If you can find someone in your area that is using Edius and is willing to teach you the basics of editing (forget what you learned with Windows Movie Maker) that would be your best bet. Offer to pay someone to teach you basic things about compression and editing. It will help you more than you think.

Forget about google if you are having a hard time. Go buy some books.

A couple of 'basic' production DVD's. These are general training discs,
                          and not aimed at Edius specifically.

http://www.videomaker.com/store/prod...?productid=304

http://www.videomaker.com/store/prod...6&bestseller=Y

Getting someone locally to help you would be your best bet. If there are local
                          editing clubs in town you may want to consider joining one of those.
                          These are just suggestions.

Keep in mind that we here on the forum will tend to help those who help themselves....a lot more often....and be more successfull
                          at it.
                          If you consider that rude, well.............
                          Last edited by Jerry; 08-26-2009, 02:54 AM.
                          Jerry
                          Six Gill DV
                          www.sgdvtutorials.com
                          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Jerry
                            I could not agree with you more, I am involved with 2 video clubs in Adelaide and try to help people as much as possible, BUT, I have had to decline any help to people who do not have Edius.
                            The programs are now becoming further apart so far as intricacies and set up like OHCI or card control, it is amazing how many people are loosing their capture settings in Premier!
                            It seems hard but the amount of time that can be spent first delving into help files or handbooks is too great, plus I am no longer interested, if that is what they want to use, their problem.
                            I have had too much enjoyment just sitting down to my editing suite and doing just that not chasing problems.
                            And I agree with you people need to have an understanding of editing before just asking questions, it would soon overwhelm the forum to post replies of how to start editing, even this is getting tooo long so
                            Regards Barry
                            Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                            GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                            Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                            Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Sky,

I just happen to be popping via this forum after a 5 month break from editing (been on a trip and shooting). It may go against other ppl's views here, but I'll give you a quick run down seeing as I'm rendering out an H264 which is taking a lifetime. Excuse spelling, I'm very jetlagged!

>> mpeg 1 (352-288)

MPEG stands for "Motion Picture Experts Group"... it was a group of ppl who got together in the late 80's / early 90's in order to develop a "standard" for distribution of video. Together, with a lot of love, arguments and hardship they devolped the MPEG1 format. The genius thing with any of the MPEG formats (MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4) is that they are all effectivly a "recipie" for decoding and don't define the encoder. This means that you will find all kinds of encoders from different companies including Canopus and they all work in different ways to create the end result, usually a file ending with extension ".MPG". An MPEG1 is typically only used for distribution and is NOT an editing format.

We don't often use MPEG1 these days, but it is a fantastic "backup format" when you don't know what playback system you will be faced with. An MPEG1 will play on practically all computers from 1995 onward... especially if it is set to a lower resolution like 352x288. Even my Amiga will play an MPEG1! I still render in MPEG1 (using CBR = Constant Bit Rate) today as a "just in case" backup to the backup.

If you ever receive any kind of MPEG file for editing with, convert it to HQ first. (Just pop it on a new timeline or right click the file and transcode it)

canopus hq avi
                              canopus lossless avi

Explained by the other guys above, but it is worth knowing that these CODEC's are used within the "AVI" system (Audio, Video, Interlieved... Windows standard video format). Hence the .AVI format.... although .AVI has about 500 varients - the above being 2 varients. These are strict editing formats and useful if you are porting files to another Edius user or doing editing backups.

Edius also can be configured to convert HDV to HQ format on the fly. The benifits are that it is faster and more stable to edit from an HQ file and there is virtually no quality loss. HQ is also used with video formats such as Digital Betacam and HDCAM when you are capturing via SDI (professional equivilant of firewire) and the HQ CODEC is used as something we call an "intermediate" format. Unfortunately, although the broadcast formats (like Digital Betacam) have their own compression system... the signal that comes out of the video machines is uncompressed and would take a huge amount of space to store. The HQ format is especially designed to take a signal from an SDI interface and save it into a .AVI file that you can access from a standard hard drive with mininal picture loss. I've printed vision to 35mm film from HD HQ and it looked hot (mind you, I crushed the blacks in 16 bit space after I wrote out my TIFF sequence, but that's for another day!) Some of Edius' competitors keep the video fully uncompressed in the name of "maximum quality" but it's barely noticable and requires a RAID system to play the video back. (Google RAID... that'll come up!)

Side note that the HQ and Lossless CODECs (last I checked) are not available from Canpous for the general public. This means the end user must have EDIUS or Procoder installed to be able to access your video. I've spent the last 3 days transcoding video into MXF format because no one else can access HQ - especially mac users. Ashame, because it's a fantastic storage format for editing from. :-/

dv avi

Standard. It's exactly what a DV camcorder records. WHen you use firewire to hook up your camera, the data you are sending down the line is DV data. Edius picks this up without any further compression and puts it stright into an AVI file = no quality loss. If you are exporting, then you can opt to tick the "Use MS DV" box in the exporter and then it will work with the likes of Premiere and finalcut pro. Canopus has it's own DV compressor which is arguably a better and faster format for working with, but not compatible with any other system. (without adding the CODEC).

dolby digital ac3

Is an audio format only. It's used by DVD and also by some camcorders. It is a rare instance that you would use this except for maybe exporting sound tracks for DVD authoring.

still img
                              Been explained. Saves a sequence of still images. 3D guys and some compositors really like having their video provided in this format. Also handy for, as it suggests, saving stills.

pcm aiff

pcm wave

Both audio formats. AIFF is used more commonly for MAC audio editing while PCM is typically used for PC. Great if you are providing a sound track to a sound engineer for mixing.

mpeg generic

Story as above with MPEG1, except if you are using MPEG2 then it is a newer version of the standard. Worth pointing out that MPEG2 is the standard used for DVD. If you are using PAL DVD then the resolution to choose is 720 x 576 at 25fps at a bitrate between 3mbps and 8mbps. If you go over this bitrate range you DVD player may start experiencing problems. Don't let the official guides tell you 9mbps... this will cause many cheap players to hickup.

MPEG2 is also used for HDV at a higher bitrate (typically around 18mbps from memorty) at a resolution of 1440 x 1080. You have a preset for this though which is why we have hdv speed encoder.As explained - multithreads (aka uses your whole Quadcore or i7) so is very fast to encode.

wma
                              wmv

Windows Media formats. Used for exporting for emailing or putting as downloadble clips for the web. Also works OK as a quick and dirty way of uploading a video for Youtube or the like. Your bitrate will determine the filesize and quality and the audio bitrate usually sounds acceptable from 96kbps onward although it's a matter of your own perception.

An important side note on the Youtube thing, is that it is locked at 30fps, so you should render anything you want to upload to 'tube into HQ format first. Then start a new NTSC project from scratch, drop the HQ file in, and render out a 30fps WMV or H264 for upload to 'tube.

Hope this helped you Sky. As the other ppl mentioned, it is out there on the internet - you'll find it all in Wikipedia - but many of the higher ranked searches do get a little complicated with their explanations. As our friend Bluetongue suggests (who lives in the next state across from me) try checking in with an editing club as there are heaps of people who love talking about this stuff and would be more than happy to explain it all.

Good luck!

Chris
                              Last edited by cybertrix; 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM.
                              AMD Ryzen 9 3900X / 32GB / RTX2070 / 4TB SSD / Storm --- Edius user since version 1.5 and StormEdit before that!

Comment

Cybertrix (Chris)
                                Thanks for that excellent, detailed and selfless input. Your efforts are, I'm sure, appreciated by many more than Sky, the OP (original poster)

Regards
                                Trevor
                                Last edited by TrackRanger; 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM.
                                Intel Quad Core Extreme 3GHz/12M, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb Hot-swap (ARAID), NVIDIA GeoForce 8800 GTS, Edius Broadcast 4.61 / Edius 5.5, Procoder 3, DVDit Pro HD, Sonicfire Pro 5, Mercalli, Vitascene, Adorage. TwinPact 100, Pegasus, TMPro. VirtualDub

Comment

Working...
                                X