X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry C
    replied
    Originally posted by mark williams View Post
    Barry, I guess you can't please everyone with the color grade. It worked for me. I have watched it a couple of more times and enjoy it even more. Thanks for liking my work.
    Actually, he liked last year's film but/for the bluish color grade which was not scientifically correct. Since he is an astro scientist, this factor is more important to him than other factors. On this new film, he gave his scientific blessing to the color grade. So, we'll see if the rest of the public follows suit.

Leave a comment:

• mark williams
    replied
    Barry, I guess you can't please everyone with the color grade. It worked for me. I have watched it a couple of more times and enjoy it even more. Thanks for liking my work.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Great stuff Barry! Kudos for the amount of time that must have taken.

Leave a comment:

• Barry C
    replied
    Originally posted by mark williams View Post
    Barry, I enjoyed that. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into your video.
    Thanks, Mark. Actually, I almost can't imagine the work that went into this one either.

I tried something different with the color grading and am curious how it will be recieved by the general public. In last year's film, I graded towards a very cool, approx 3800K bluish color of the sky and Milky Way, which most people probably assume is correct for a night sky. The film is doing quite well and continues to get alot of views. However, when it first came out, I put it on an astrophotography forum. One guy, a scientist who's one of the world's foremost astrophotographers and who has a blog/website on the subject, jumped all over me on the color grade as not being "natural" as it didn't allow for the deeper reds and often green airglow from excited ions in the upper atmosphere. My concern was that most non scientists, wouldn't like seeing green night skys, etc. But, in this new film, on many of the Milky Way core scenes, I graded for "natural color." The scientists and astrophotographers- including the one gentleman previously mentioned- are giving it rave reviews for the color grade and I'm curious to see if the general public accepts it. So far, however, things look encouraging. But, it was a big gamble, nevertheless.

Mark, I really love the films you do with that forest stream and am actually inspired by you to do a water film. The opening scenes in this film feature Burney Falls, an amazing waterfall in northern California. I took a lot of daylight time lapse of this waterfall as well as 4K and slomo video of it and hope to be able to put together a short film featuring just different aspects of the falls. Again, you are my inspiration for doing this.
    Last edited by Barry C; 09-24-2018, 03:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mark williams
    replied
    Barry, I enjoyed that. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into your video.

Leave a comment:

• Bassman
    replied
    Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Barry C
    replied
    This Year's Time Lapse Film Project

I just finished this one after 5 months of filming and post. It was shot at locations in 4 states. Lots of traveling this spring and summer with the biggest obstacle being the constant smoke from all the forest fires. It was shot with 3 Sony 43mp A7R2s and thanks to a tip from Bern about converting the more than 8K sequences to HQX in the bin, was remarkably easier to work with on the timeline on my i7 4790 system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSWqY5XOKcs

Leave a comment:

• Liverpool TV
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
    Nicely done Dave.
    Thanks Pat. It really does show the creative power of Edius and especially Layouter.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Nicely done Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Liverpool TV
    replied
    Thanks Paul, Bern and Harro.

Not being here for a while I didn't know Andrew was no longer around. That's a shame as he's very knowledgeable about post.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• lucygb
    replied
    thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Harro
    replied
    Good to see you back Dave. Your input was sorely missed. Now if Andrew returned, that would be great news. Both of you very often had very worthwhile views to offer.

Leave a comment:

• mark williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    Hey Mark, Just watched the Boggs creek video on my 4K set. It appears you were after more textures in this video. Excellent as usual.
    Thanks Jerry. Yes, more textures was the plan.

Leave a comment:

• BernH
    replied
    Yes, welcome back Dave!

Leave a comment:

• PaulTV
    replied
    Nice one Dave,

GOOD to see you back - great track - suddenly had a "Flock of Seagulls" moment! Cool...

Paul :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X