X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark williams
    replied
    Pat, thanks for the compliment. I am spoiled now shooting 4k and doubt I will ever go back to HD. Having the GH5 and being able to shoot 60fps 4K is where I want to be. The GH5 is a beast and has so many features, many of which I will probably never use. Others will find it invaluable in getting the look that they want. It is a whole lot of camera.
    Last edited by mark williams; 11-20-2017, 11:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    Originally posted by mark williams View Post
    Thanks Barry and Alan, that means a lot. I feel moving up to 4K has really helped me step up my game.
    Your talent and eye for timing is obvious. It is almost wasted on HD. It is a main reason why I wanted to see your stuff in 4K so badly (and why I always beg to see the original in all of its glory :-) )

Leave a comment:

• mark williams
    replied
    Thanks Barry and Alan, that means a lot. I feel moving up to 4K has really helped me step up my game.
    Last edited by mark williams; 11-20-2017, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Great heavens, Mark. Such gorgeous photography. The colors are breath-taking, and love your choice of music. Can't wait to step up to 4K myself - although the GH4/5 doesn't suit my shooting style, but it sure does yours.
    Beautiful work.
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Barry C
    replied
    Alan & Mark, I really enjoyed these films. Job well done guys!

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Kurt - that's a remarkable Cathedral, inside and out. Took a good look at it with Google earth. Very Romanesque, as you say - quite void of rococo ornamentation - actually quite plain and beautiful. And the 2 sturdy exterior towers are quite impressive. Perhaps some day we'll get there. Each church and cathedral having such diverse and yet fascinating features.

Interesting history: In Budapest (which I did not know anything about until we got there) is the second largest Synagogue in the world (New York being the largest), and it's gorgeous and unique. For in order to make the Christians feel as though the Jews who moved in and built their Synagogue were coming in to "be a part of the town", meld in and show their love of the Christian city, they designed the Synagogue to be built in the style of the churches and Cathedrals in Pest. It's a gorgeous piece of work both inside and out.

Enough - it's almost midnight here!
    Have a great rest of the week.
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• kpot
    replied
    Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
    Kurt - I envy your being amongst such beauty. My wife Sondra (Sam) and I have boated the canals of Europe for 26 years - in our own rented canal boats - just the two of us. We've covered all 17 canals and navigable rivers in France, and many in Belgium, The Netherlands, England and Italy, and each has had it's own special beauty. I've filmed over 300 churches in that time, and love the history and beauty displayed in each of them - all different. Even the oftentimes tiny small town churches have their own mystical charm and stories to tell. But you know this better than I.

Thanks for the come-back, and for your comments. Much appreciated.
    Best always,
    Alan
    PS - Curiosity has me......where is WN in Austria. We often travel to Oberstauffen, Germany - near the Austrian border.
    Hi Alan:
    1) 300 churches - that's a remarkable number!
    I don't know how many churches there are in all of Europe, but probably a little more than 300 ;-) - I think you still will find enough interesting objects to film in the next years.

2) WN means "Wiener Neustadt", a city with 45,000 inhabitants, located 50 kilometres south of Vienna/Danube. However, it is not possible to reach WN by boat :-(, only by train or via the southern highway. But we have two interesting "buildings" here:
    - A more than 800 years old Romanesque cathedral and
    - the oldest military academy in the world (in a row with Sandhurst (GB), Saint Cyr (France) and West Point). Some students from the latter military academies complete their military training here every year (and some Austrians study, for example, in West Point: Our world has become small). In the military academy there is our second (military-) St.Georg-cathedral, small but of historical interest.
    Regards kurt

Leave a comment:

• mark williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Bassman View Post
    Mark,

Beautiful images. Thanks for sharing.

Have you ever exported your shorts in 30p or 24p? I think the slower framerate might add more of a storytelling effect. I would be interested in seeing this last piece in 24p just to see the difference.

The GH5 is quite fantastic!
    Thanks for the nice comment. I will check out doing a 24p project.

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Kurt - I envy your being amongst such beauty. My wife Sondra (Sam) and I have boated the canals of Europe for 26 years - in our own rented canal boats - just the two of us. We've covered all 17 canals and navigable rivers in France, and many in Belgium, The Netherlands, England and Italy, and each has had it's own special beauty. I've filmed over 300 churches in that time, and love the history and beauty displayed in each of them - all different. Even the oftentimes tiny small town churches have their own mystical charm and stories to tell. But you know this better than I.

Thanks for the come-back, and for your comments. Much appreciated.
    Best always,
    Alan
    PS - Curiosity has me......where is WN in Austria. We often travel to Oberstauffen, Germany - near the Austrian border.
    Last edited by AJL14; 11-08-2017, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bassman
    replied
    Mark,

Beautiful images. Thanks for sharing.

Have you ever exported your shorts in 30p or 24p? I think the slower framerate might add more of a storytelling effect. I would be interested in seeing this last piece in 24p just to see the difference.

The GH5 is quite fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• kpot
    replied
    Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
    Hey Kurt - you couldn't be more correct! Living in Austria you have a great advantage over us of knowing all the proper locations. This trip was billed as "A trip down the River Danube" - so I just made the title as simple as possible so as not to be so boringly long!
    Thanks for the learned advise!
    Alan
    Hi Alan:
    There are an awful lot of rivers in Europe - and even more churches (and all of them are magnificent and historically remarkable). But hardly anyone in Europe knows them all. Why would anyone who does not even live in Europe know them?
    And when you learn something, it's never everything - always just a piece.
    "That's life."
    Regards kurt
    PS: And thanks for that marvellous Film!

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Hey Kurt - you couldn't be more correct! Living in Austria you have a great advantage over us of knowing all the proper locations. This trip was billed as "A trip down the River Danube" - so I just made the title as simple as possible so as not to be so boringly long!

Thanks for the learned advise!
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Hi Pat,

All shot on my slightly aging (but still gorgeous for HD) Canon HF-G30 - and of course edited on EDIUS. I'll most probably upgrade the camera after CES or when I get a chance to actually compare the new Canon GX-10 UHD and the new Sony UHD camcorder due out around Christmas.

Thanks for taking a look - great trip!
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• mark williams
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
    Beautiful as always! I would love to have seen a rack focus on the shot that started at the 1:00 mark from the leaves to the water.
    Thanks Pat. Yes, I need to add that to my skill set.
    Last edited by mark williams; 11-08-2017, 12:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mark williams
    replied
    Originally posted by kpot View Post
    Hi:
    Fantastic clips! I love naturefilms, especially autumn.
    Question: the film is extremly sharp on my 1920 x 1080 PC-Monitor. Did you film in UHD?
    kurt
    Thanks, I am glad that you liked it. Yes, shot in UHD.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X