Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius and TV stations

HI

Is anyone using Edius to edit broadcast quality doucmentaries for TV stations. Is Edius sufficient to do the Job and what cameras and formats are people using.

I would be grateful to hear your experiences, as i intend to make a documentary in the near future.

Thanks

SK Raja
    Thanks
    SK Raja

Adobe production suite cs5
    windows 7 ultimate 64bit Edius 6 Vitscene Mercalli Bluff Titler Boris FX

At least three a year on local TV and currently commissioned to do a series of five for Discovery over the next two year. Two have been finished. Originally shot on Sony Z7P's we've never had an issue with any broadcaster.
    The doco's are primarily distributed in Asia and the Pacific in digibeta with the occasional request for dubs in full HD.
    We sell our programs at MIP-TV in France and get a number of requests for HD-CAM in Europe and Japan.
    Rarely have problems with post production or format. The challenge is distribution and it is rather silly to try and make a doco without a pre-sale.
    Out of interest there are over 600,000 doco's made each year worldwide of which less than 5% make it to the box as broadcast material. More money in other methods of distribution.

Comment

I travel around the US training TV editors on how to use Edius for broadcast. It is a very popular NLE in conjunction wih GV's K2 server system. And is growing all the time. Here is one station that is all Edius http://www.komonews.com/

Comment

At the station, we edit mostly short news packages, but there we also do longer features with Edius as well. From my editing of longer pieces outside of the station, I can say it should be very easy to do a long form documentary. As with anything, organization is the key.

We shoot the majority of stuff on Panasonic P2 at the station, which makes transfer of the video to the computer pretty quick. For my other projects, I shoot in HDV and convert to HQ for editing.

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience.

I have another question:

Is sony pmw ex 3 combined with edius 5 suffiecient to produce a documentary for discovery channel or any of the major satellite channels

What would the workflow be.
          Once again thanks for the assistance.

Sk raja
          Thanks
          SK Raja

Comment

G'day SK, if you read the first line of my post above you'll get your answer. Broadcasters aren't really concerned on what tools you use, simply the technical quality of the end product and more importantly, it's creative values.
            Edius will work fine for you as will the EX3 providing you can "create" something that the broadcaster is interested in. This is the challenge. Unfortunately, most fail this test in documentary work.

Comment

Thanks again Redgum for your assistance on this matter.

thanks

SK Raja
              Thanks
              SK Raja

Comment

Working...
              X