Nested Sequence Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nested Sequence Question

I have SequenceA and SequenceB, and SequenceB has IN and OUT points... is there a way to make SequenceB be only as long as the IN/OUT points when I place SequenceB inside of SequenceA?

I think not, but I am a nested sequence idiot at this point.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,

Mike Truly
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K

yes, right click and choose add between in and out to bin as sequence
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Thanks Anton!

Guess my bin will get filled up as I was hoping to make SequenceB do this and not having to save a SequenceB2 just to get the IN/OUT version. I'll deal with it.

Thanks again.
      Sincerely,

Mike Truly
      Truly Media
      www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K

Comment

add a new bin and call it sub sequences :)
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I told you I was a sequence idiot!

Thanks!
          Sincerely,

Mike Truly
          Truly Media
          www.trulymedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Truly View Post
            I told you I was a sequence idiot!

Thanks!
            He he..i could second that...for myself of course..!

Sometimes i am really confused about that..specially when i am trying to clean up my BINs...sometimes i would close a Sequence on TL and it would ask if i want to "delete" this certain Sequence..but i dont think this is deleting anything from the BIN right?
            If i wanna get this back, i can use the Sequence from the bin again right?

Just confused, as i have a huge documentary project, with 1000s of clips, dozens of sequences (some in use..other not anymore..) and i am wondering how i can clean up the BIN a smart way, to make Edius start quicker...!

I am editing in parallel with a friend and she has an older PC..guess what, sometimes it took her 40 minutes to open up a project...that kind of hurts..!

Any tips here?
            Edius 6.52
            Windows 7-64bit
            8GB RAM
            Intel Core I5, [email protected],40GHz

Comment

That merely closes the sequence and does no affect the bin. It probably should have a different message. If you want to have a safety net when you first try it, rename the project and then do it.

Comment

40 minutes just to open the project? 1 minute - and I am already grumbling .... I have salute her patience then. No - seriously, there's way too many files in your bin - you need to tidy it up.
                TingSern
                --------------------------------------
                Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Another nested sequence question.

OK, I have a SequenceA with some IN/OUT points and I use the 'Add to Bin with IN/OUT' method and now I have a SequenceB in the bin that's cropped to the IN/OUT zone of SequenceA... fabulous. So I then use SequenceB in another sequence (Main Sequence).

But when I have to make a change to the contents of SequenceA, I go back to SequenceA and make some changes. (There was a clip in SequenceA that should have been video muted but was accidentally left ON and so I went back into SequenceA and muted it).

Here's my question. After making this change in SequenceA... why was SequenceB NOT showing this change in Main Sequence or SequenceB?

I literally had to delete SequenceB and then make another SequenceB so it would show in the Main Sequence.

Thanks!
                  Sincerely,

Mike Truly
                  Truly Media
                  www.trulymedia.com

Comment

If you have Sequences A & B in another Main Sequence C, then changes in A should be reflected in C. It should not in B because B is now a new sequence.

Comment

Pat,

I may not be explaining this well.

SequenceB is used in the Main Sequence.
                      SequenceA is not used in the Main Sequence.
                      SequenceB was made from the IN/OUT points within SequenceA by using the 'Add to Bin with IN/OUT' function.

If I change SequenceA in any way... shouldn't SequenceB show these changes?

And if SequenceB should show the changes, they should be visible in the Main Sequence... where SequenceB is used?

I made changes to SequenceA... and SequenceB was NOT updated. Therefore, it also did not show any changes inside the Main Sequence. I just assumed that the use of all these sequences would make changes ripple through all of them.

Thanks!
                      Sincerely,

Mike Truly
                      Truly Media
                      www.trulymedia.com

Comment

Hi Mike,

I think I understand your question. This is not gospel, but as I undersatnd it, once you add anything to the bin (in this case a sequence), it is treated basically as a new clip. So any additional changes on the original will not be reflected. For it to work as you want, it would have to be copied to a new sequence and then that sequence could be used in another and would reflect changes made in the copied sequence.

I am doing a horrible job of explaining this, but try copying your section between the in and out to a new sequence and then use that one in the main sequence and see if that gets what you want.

I can see both instances where the way it woks now and the way you expect it to work would be beneficial. I totally understand your confusion and it might be a good request to have the Add to Bin sequence work the way you want.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Pat! I understand how it works now.

And I can see the value of both approaches. For my needs, I do feel that it would be better if it were (what is known in the 3D world) as an 'instance'... where anything you do to the original, is reflected in the instance. But I can work around this, no problem.

One other thing that's a bit strange about these nested IN/OUT sequences. Because of the nature of nested sequences, I would expect that one should edit the contents of a sequence within the sequence itself... not within a parent sequence in which the child is placed.

So for example, if you create a sequence from the IN/OUT points and place it inside a parent sequece, you should not be able to drag the IN/OUT points of the clip to make it longer than the originally defined sequence. You should be able to drag those points and make it shorter... but not longer. Yet you can drag them to be longer (and it shows little XXXs within the clip. This is weird to me. It would be more logical if the user was forced to return to the original defining sequence with the IN/OUT points to make it longer.

But I guess I'm a stickler for logic.

Thanks again!
                          Sincerely,

Mike Truly
                          Truly Media
                          www.trulymedia.com

Comment

I think it is just the way Edius is designed. This goes back to that same premise that once the nested sequence is created, all the rules of a regular clip apply to it. Since we can drag a regular clip to make it longer, you can also do it to the nested sequence (though it would have no particle purpose as you have pointed out).

Comment

Working...
                            X