Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blu Ray Disk-which produces a better result?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harro
    replied
    Thank you Stormdave and Shueardm for you replys, seem like I (and many others) have a lot to learn about producing a really good Blu Ray DVD.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    The OP is better off using this workaround that I use. In my tests, the Blu-ray preset in the exporter window is different than the files the BD Creator makes.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Originally posted by Harro View Post
    Where can I find the meaning and hence appropriate settings to be used in sections such as Extended Settings, GOP/VUI Settings, Prediction Settings, GOP Structure, Picture Count etc. in the Edius Exporter section (in the H264/AVC and Mpeg sections). I particularly would like to know the GOP Structure setting as well as the one for Picture Count at this time.
    Don't go changing anything there Harro. It's not something that will benefit you, it can only make thing go wrong.

If you have time google all these questions and you'll find a whole lot of confusion and half answers. If there was a document that spelled it all out then we wouldn't be stuck with laymans AVCHD instead of proper H264 encoding for Blu-ray disc.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    If no one is prepared to help Harro with the original questions, then there's little point in letting this thread continue.

The specification is what it is, and Anton's 'official' response comes from QC. Compaining/ranting/etc isn't constructive, nor will it result in changes to the existing specification. There is a request forum. Use it.

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    the horse's mouth
    LOL. I like that one Anton.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by shueardm View Post
    When you say "official answer" , who said this?
    the horse's mouth

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Khoi Pham View Post
    Yeah but they need to upgrade ProCoder engine too cuz it is too slow compare to Edius exporter.
    That is true and not true. Keep in mind most of the settings in Exporter are limited. When I add detailed specs to encoding, it does take extra time with PC3. But, if I load up several clips into the cue, it speeds along quite nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Khoi Pham
    replied
    Yeah but they need to upgrade ProCoder engine too cuz it is too slow compare to Edius exporter.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Can I buy some of this "hope"?

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Maybe ProCoder4 can do MPEG4 AVC like it does MPEG2?

There's hope.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Grass Valley have totally lost my faith in being a company that specialized in codecs. Anyone can do AVCHD form some very very cheap software.
    Dare I say it. Take any Blu-ray stream from EDIUS or FireCoder Blu into Scenarist BD Authoring and it would just crap itself.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Yes but that is the problem. They use AVCHD levels which is not the same as H.264/AVC profiles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

The high Profile 4.1 is different in those specs because they are different formats and GV use the wrong bloomin' one in EDIUS and FireCoder Blu.

When you say "official answer" , who said this?

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    here is the offical answer

Edius DVD Creator Blu-ray encoding is done with AVCHD H.264 encoding which has a limit of 24mbps total
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

up to 24 Mbit/s (AVCHD conforming to H264 High-Profile, Level 4.1)

up to 17 Mbit/s (AVCHD conforming to H264 Main-Profile, Level 4.0)

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by shueardm View Post
    I was just questioning why they needed to use more bits than we do. With better encoders and cleaner source material they should only need to use 15Mb/s with the GV philosophy.
    Mark,
    Because they can. If I had those toys...so would I.

Leave a comment:

• Harro
    replied
    Where can I find the meaning and hence appropriate settings to be used in sections such as Extended Settings, GOP/VUI Settings, Prediction Settings, GOP Structure, Picture Count etc. in the Edius Exporter section (in the H264/AVC and Mpeg sections). I particularly would like to know the GOP Structure setting as well as the one for Picture Count at this time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X