Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius 4: is it possible to enable "Non drop frame"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius 4: is it possible to enable "Non drop frame"?

Hi, I hane noticed in Edius 4 config there is an entry "Non drop frame". It is disabled. I'd like to enable it. Is it possible?
    Thanks
    A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoD...6FduohA/videos
    CPU: Intel i9 7940X
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
    VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti
    SSD Drive:
    (C) 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for Windows 10)
    (D) 1TB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe

All flavors of PAL projects are ‘non drop frame’, you need to be in NTSC to be able it switch it to ‘drop frame’.
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by 7hbg View Post
      All flavors of PAL projects are ‘non drop frame’, you need to be in NTSC to be able it switch it to ‘drop frame’.
      It is a real piece of bad luck for!
      Thanks for your news.
      A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoD...6FduohA/videos
      SSD Drive:

Comment

‘Drop frames’ are to compensate for the fraction in 29.97 fps used in NTSC system to minimize play-time vs. real-time errors. In reality it does nothing to the video, it’s just a way to count / reference frames in a video. When counting frames, all it does is drops frame numbers 0 and 1 from every minute (...28,29,2,3...), except for 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 minute (...28,29,0,1...). So DF hour in NTSC has 107892 frames vs. 108000 non-drop frames (difference of over 3 seconds).

What would you use DF in PAL (25 fps) for?
        Rob

Comment

Besides the technical facts, Drop Frame is sometimes used to edit TV shows for example...at 30dF, to keep everything in sync. I guess it depends on the editing house.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hbg View Post
            What would you use DF in PAL (25 fps) for?
            I'd like to use that option because with Xplode 4.5 and Edius 4 (with Edius nx) I haven't any 3D transition in real time. Infact Edius 4 stops on the transition.
            thanks
            SSD Drive:

Comment

But drop frame has nothing to do with that.
              Let me explain in a real simple way:
              Drop frame is for NTSC (clock time operates at 60hz and NTSC is 59.94)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Drop-frame timecode counts each video frame but when that .03 finally adds up to a video frame - it skips ahead (or drops) a number. It does not drop a film or video frame, it merely skips a number and continues counting. This allows it to keep accurate time.

Non-drop timecode counts (labels) every single video frame and does not make any allowances for the fact that it is really 29.97 fps. Therefore, if you cut a scene using non-drop time code and the time reads as, say 30 minutes and 0 frames, this is not the actual running time of the scene. The total time must be converted in order to know the true running time. This is why non-drop lengths are always shorter than the real time.
              [/FONT]

It has to do with counting TIMECODE how would this help with xplode ?????

Maybe you know something we don't please share so we can make use of it.

Sr
              Last edited by SRsupport; 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM.
              Steve
              EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
              A proud EDIUS EDITOR
              For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Originally posted by Ulisse View Post
                I'd like to use that option because with Xplode 4.5 and Edius 4 (with Edius nx) I haven't any 3D transition in real time. Infact Edius 4 stops on the transition.
                thanks

The option for non drop frame will not affect your transitions.

The reason is this, Non Drop Frame refers to the way frames that are in a video clip are counted by the timeline.

In PAL where you have an even number of frames per second you do not need dropframe enabled because it is easy for the timeline to count the number of frames.

In NTSC there is 29.97 frames per second so the timeline can't easily count the frames because of the .97 frame every second.

How it compensates for this is to drop a frame number every once in a while in order for one minute of video to equal one minute on my watch.

I hope that was of some help! :)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Ulisse View Post
                  thanks
                  Go to Settings -> Application Settings -> Settings -> Playback and uncheck the "Stop Playback at frame drop" option.

Comment

Thankyou THoff, for seeing what we didn't see! *laughs*

Comment

It's a case of the one-eyed leading the blind! (c8

Comment

Working...
                      X