AVCHD2HQ optimal settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVCHD2HQ optimal settings

Has anyone developed useful rules of thumb for settings to be used in the AVCHD2HQ converter?

Previously I found that it was faster for me to use the converter with FCBlu disabled.

I am now in the process of converting some 650 clips and have concluded that, for the most part, it is better to convert batches of c15 clips (20 seems to be too many) with the "Right click - one conversion with cores up to limit" box unchecked. With a very big file (447000Kb) it seems better converted solo with the box checked. This approach seems to get the most out of 4 cores on my pc.

It would be helpful to know how others have tackled this issue.

Edit postscript:
    I think it would have been smarter to have sorted clips by file size before converting them, so that the 4 cores worked to optimal efficiency. As it is, if I have one or two files significantly larger than the rest in the batch, cpu usage drops off towards the end of the conversion.
    Last edited by drgagx; 06-23-2009, 07:22 PM.
    DVC laptop: W870CU i7; 17.3" 1920x1080; 2x 1TB 7200rpm SATA notebook drives; Edius 8.5WG; Windows 7.

An update on my earlier post after converting a second card (8.8GB AVCHD to 59.3GB HQ). This time I sorted AVCHD clips by size and then batch converted starting with the smallest. The converter will deal with a max batch of 15 clips at a time (no matter how small they are). This approach of converting batches of clips at a time (on my 4 core pc) seems the best for me until I reached the very large clips of c200MB+. Then I converted them individually using all 4 cores on a single clip.

Hope this helps for others facing large scale conversions of AVCHD. Before you start, be sure to have planty of disc space ready. In total 20.9GB of AVCHD converted to 138.6GB of HQ across 1077 clips.

If anyone has a better approach, please post it.
    DVC laptop: W870CU i7; 17.3" 1920x1080; 2x 1TB 7200rpm SATA notebook drives; Edius 8.5WG; Windows 7.

Comment

which format

Hallo, I use AVCHD2HQ converter for converting *.m2ts files from my cam Panasonic HDC SD200, I want use highest quality after convert, which output file is best for me, I want tu use surround sound system of my camera in video projects
      - AVI HQ LPCM 6ch?
      - MPEG2 PS (AC3 sound?, and?)

thank you
      Panasonic HDC-SD200 EPK

Comment

Originally posted by drgagx View Post
        , it is better to convert batches of c15 clips (20 seems to be too many) with the "Right click - one conversion with cores up to limit" box unchecked. .
        AVCHD2HQ WILL convert more than 20 clips (in fact it will do hundreds in one go/batch). All you need to is drag THE FOLDER and not the files to AVCHD2HQ icon and it will happily chug away and convert the entire contents of the folder.

You can either drag the 'stream' folder from the AVCHD hierarchy on your media card or if you’ve already transferred the files to your HD you can rename the folder and then drag it.

I tend to organise my files first (using CKrename) and then drag the folder to AVCHD2HQ

I don't use FCB to convert as I have an i7 system and it's faster for me to use all 8 cores converting than the hardware on FCB

Mark
        Main Editing System: Sinclair ZX81 0.75Mhz chip (Overclocked to 12Ghz), Liquid Nitrogen Cooled. 48k of RAM, Compact Cassette tape drive (9600 baud), 4" B&W monitor. No keyboard - all input by thought transfer from a colander on my head. Gives me 180 layers of 4k in real time (all with 3D PIP added) and can encode and burn a 2 hour Blu Ray in just under 12 seconds. Custom editing chair that floats on magnets 2 feet above the floor. I am also able to travel in time.

Comment

Thanks for the update on your method. I have not tried dragging the stream folder, just groups of files. Recently someone had problems converting by dragging the folder (unclear which folder) so the advice was to drag the files.

What is CKrename (or is it just short for right click and rename)? So far I have left file names and folder structure unchanged. I too have found that using 4 cores in SW mode is quicker than FCBlu.

Comment

Originally posted by drgagx View Post
            What is CKrename
            CKRename can be found here ---> http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...CKRename.shtml - It's a great utility for batch renaming files to whatever you want. Plus you see the result before you change the name so if it's not quite what you want you can tweak it until you get the re-naming exactly as you want it. I use it for batch renaming files into date and day shoot order (I make a separate folder for each day of shooting etc)

I have never had a problem dragging a folder to AVCHD2HQ and this method has always maxed out my cores and encoded files quickly to HQ files

Mark
            Main Editing System: Sinclair ZX81 0.75Mhz chip (Overclocked to 12Ghz), Liquid Nitrogen Cooled. 48k of RAM, Compact Cassette tape drive (9600 baud), 4" B&W monitor. No keyboard - all input by thought transfer from a colander on my head. Gives me 180 layers of 4k in real time (all with 3D PIP added) and can encode and burn a 2 hour Blu Ray in just under 12 seconds. Custom editing chair that floats on magnets 2 feet above the floor. I am also able to travel in time.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification and the link.

Comment

Working...
              X