Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing 4:3 and 16:9 on same DVD with MF 5 or 7

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mixing 4:3 and 16:9 on same DVD with MF 5 or 7

    I have both 4:3 letterboxed and full 16:9 versions of a presentation I would like to include on a DVD so that the viewer can select the version he wants for either older TVs or plasma and LCD widescreens.

    In MF, there is a master project setting thta sets the project to either, but I see no way of having the playback of individual files be in their native format. For instance, if I select a 4:3 DVD, the preview shows that MF will letterbox my 16:9 to 4:3. If I select 16:9, preview shows the 4:3 to be letterboxed in a letterbox and fitted into a 16:9 window. I'd like each file to be able to determine which format will be played back on the TV, depending on the program file the viewer selects..

    Is this possible in Movie Factory?
    Last edited by plasma_video; 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM.

  • #2
    Hi..I found a good free app called DVD-flick...I think it does what you´re after
    A computer with a lot of stuff in it :)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by plasma_video View Post
      I have both 4:3 letterboxed and full 16:9 versions of a presentation I would like to include on a DVD so that the viewer can select the version he wants for either older TVs or plasma and LCD widescreens.

      In MF, there is a master project setting thta sets the project to either, but I see no way of having the playback of individual files be in their native format. For instance, if I select a 4:3 DVD, the preview shows that MF will letterbox my 16:9 to 4:3. If I select 16:9, preview shows the 4:3 to be letterboxed in a letterbox and fitted into a 16:9 window. I'd like each file to be able to determine which format will be played back on the TV, depending on the program file the viewer selects..

      Is this possible in Movie Factory?
      you are fighting a loosing battle, 4:3 is dead and 16:9 will look fine on 4:3TV if authored with DVD-Lab Pro or similar

      the reason you are fighting a loosing battle:

      the DVD player has a setup menu that lets the user choose if their TV is 4:3 or 16:9, there is no way you can control that

      however, if you only make 16:9 and use DVD Lab to author, you can set a flag that forces people with 4:3 TV to see your movie in 16:9 letterboxed on their 4:3TV, this means they see the lot and not the sides cut off

      it is not ok to cut off the sides, it sucks, show them every pixel you shot

      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

      EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

      Comment


      • #4
        Anton, I'm not cutting off the sides. The 4:3 is a letterboxed 16:9.

        In tests on 2 DVD players, the 16:9 1.2 PAR files authored in a 16:9 DVD template did not play back letterboxed, but in horizontal squashed mode, regardless of the settings in the DVD player, so I'm not sure how to handle the situation. That's why I was trying to find a way to supply both versions on one DVD. Perhaps some more experimenting is in order. They played back fine, however, in true 16:9 in all of the player programs I tried in the computers.

        I agree with you about utilizing every 16:9 pixel, however, my boss (the wife) hates letterboxing. She is gradually getting used to it, though.

        I'll never go back to 4:3 shooting, unless I have to rely on one of my older cameras for a project.

        Comment


        • #5
          You can to do this with DVDLab PRo 2.0 using separate VTS for each version. One VTS for 4x3 and another VTS for 16x9.
          I have not tried this but that is how the help file describes the solution to your problem.
          Ron Evans
          Ron Evans

          Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

          ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18


          Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
            You can to do this with DVDLab PRo 2.0 using separate VTS for each version. One VTS for 4x3 and another VTS for 16x9.
            I have not tried this but that is how the help file describes the solution to your problem.
            Ron Evans
            Looks like I need a different authoring app . . . . . .

            Comment


            • #7
              Just download the trial and see if it does what you want. I still prefer DVDLab over any other authoring app. Just use DVD Architect for Bluray.

              Ron Evans
              Ron Evans

              Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

              ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18


              Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by plasma_video View Post
                Anton, I'm not cutting off the sides. The 4:3 is a letterboxed 16:9.

                In tests on 2 DVD players, the 16:9 1.2 PAR files authored in a 16:9 DVD template did not play back letterboxed, but in horizontal squashed mode, regardless of the settings in the DVD player, so I'm not sure how to handle the situation. That's why I was trying to find a way to supply both versions on one DVD. Perhaps some more experimenting is in order. They played back fine, however, in true 16:9 in all of the player programs I tried in the computers.

                I agree with you about utilizing every 16:9 pixel, however, my boss (the wife) hates letterboxing. She is gradually getting used to it, though.

                I'll never go back to 4:3 shooting, unless I have to rely on one of my older cameras for a project.
                you only need the 16:9 version, do not include the 4:3 version, you don't need it

                the 16:9 version will look perfect in 16:9 TV
                the 16:9 version will look letterboxed in 4:3 TV with these simple settings in DVD-Lab Pro
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

                EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

                Comment


                • #9
                  Anton, some more tests today seem to indicate that you can mix the two types on one DVD with MF and the flag carries through. At least it does on PC playback.

                  I'm still not quite sure what was wrong with the single 16:9 not letterboxing on my 4:3 TV and DVD player. The TV type was set to 4:3. I must have certainly done something wrong.

                  I have not had time to check it out again tonight. I've been cutting some voiceovers for a friend, and a 20 minute project turned into 2 hours while getting the music beds right.

                  I do not have DVD Lab, but it looks like a lot of people here use it and like it.

                  Thanks for your insight.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X