Can't "see" DVCHD PRO FCP 26GB Clip in Edius 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't "see" DVCHD PRO FCP 26GB Clip in Edius 5.0

A friend gave me a 26GB *.mov clip that is supposed to be in the DVCHD Pro format, exported from his Mac's Final Cut Pro.

On importing it into Edius 5.1, I am getting sound, but no video, and I can't add it to the timeline.

A second clip that he sent me, which was smaller (about 1GB in size) plays video, but the sound is distorted / sounds "staticky".

Do you have any recommendations for codecs and/or Edius tweaks that can be implemented to get these clips working properly?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. The smaller clip's audio didn't even show on Edius 4.24 (different Windows CPU), while it sounds distorted on v5.0 and 5.1. What gives? Isn't Edius supposed to natively support DVCHD Pro? This is in Full 1080p.

Yes, Edius does edit P2 DVCProHD natively -- it is FCP that doesn't. FCP re-wraps the material in a proprietary container format and removes the pulldown if it is present. The audio distortion is likely a result of pulldown removal -- I'm not sure that the story is with the video of the first file, but you could try loading it into QuickTime Player to see what codec is being used by pressing Ctrl-I to bring up the information window. If the file does in fact use DVCProHD, it won't play in QuickTime Player since Apple doesn't support the codec under Windows, but you should still be able to view the information window.

Since Edius V5.1 isn't out yet, I'm assuming you're using V5.01.

Comment

Mov is not native DVCPROHD.

It is better to get it in Proress since Proress is supported in windows with the quicktime update or the separate proress support. Or ask if the can exoprt as MXF

And with version 4 you need Edius broadcast
      Last edited by SRsupport; 04-29-2009, 01:38 AM.
      Steve
      EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
      A proud EDIUS EDITOR
      For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Originally posted by vupmedia View Post
        A friend gave me a 26GB *.mov clip that is supposed to be in the DVCHD Pro format, exported from his Mac's Final Cut Pro.

On importing it into Edius 5.1, I am getting sound, but no video, and I can't add it to the timeline.

A second clip that he sent me, which was smaller (about 1GB in size) plays video, but the sound is distorted / sounds "staticky".

Do you have any recommendations for codecs and/or Edius tweaks that can be implemented to get these clips working properly?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. The smaller clip's audio didn't even show on Edius 4.24 (different Windows CPU), while it sounds distorted on v5.0 and 5.1. What gives? Isn't Edius supposed to natively support DVCHD Pro? This is in Full 1080p.
        Update
        We have the 1gig clip working on one of my systems with edius 5.0, audio/video.
        The 26gig video is not working on the same edius 5.0 system? Although it will play audio only on that system when played directly with the quicktime player?(no video)

To make it more confusing, my older edius 4.24 sees the 26gig video, but does not recognize audio track at all? Doesn’t even show up with clip (just video track appears).

So in short, I can hear the audio from the dvcpro hd clip on one system.
        and see the dvcpro hd clip on another (same file)?
        Andrew Fogell www.videounlimited.net

Comment

Did you try QuickTime Player's Information Window with the 26GB file?

Comment

As far as the audio, your audio data might be on the 3rd or 4th channel, so go into the properties and pick the proper channel.

I don't use .mov DVCPROHD clips in EDIUS, but I've tried it for testing purposes once and it worked ok. I mainly keep the .mov clips for the OS X side and .mxf for EDIUS.

Comment

I need to be able to either:

a) Work on DVCHD PRO (Mac's Final Cut Pro "wrapped") files from inside Edius 5.01 or 4.24

or

b) Find a Windows-based codec which will read the files correctly

or

c) Find a Windows-based conversion utility that will convert this format into one that I can use inside Edius.

For various reasons, I can't ask the Mac guy to convert the 26GB content file for me, and I don't have a Mac with Final Cut Pro to do this myself.

Any advice anyone?

What I don't get is why different machines with different versions of Edius (meaning 4.24 and 5.01) would treat the same exact file differently. One of them (4.24) shows the video, while the other (5.01) doesn't. Both can open the file directly in Quicktime, but only audio is played.

Comment

I just checked the format properties in Quicktime by pressing CTRL+I and it's:

DVCPRO HD 1080/60

No video playback out of Quicktime, just audio.

There is no mention in the "quicktime inspector" of a specific codec being used to play back the file.

Comment

The Edius 4.24 is Broadcast edition.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                    As far as the audio, your audio data might be on the 3rd or 4th channel, so go into the properties and pick the proper channel.

I don't use .mov DVCPROHD clips in EDIUS, but I've tried it for testing purposes once and it worked ok. I mainly keep the .mov clips for the OS X side and .mxf for EDIUS.
                    STORMDAVE -- Audio information is not available when you right-click the clip and view its properties. There are only File Info and Video Info tabs.

Comment

I just downloaded and installed a demo version of the Raylight Decoder from:

I am working on the Edius 5.01 machine right now.

Now, with the Raylight codec installed, the 26GB file opens up fine in Quicktime with both video and audio, but in Edius 5.01, I'm unable to do anything with the file at all. I can't add the file to the timeline, and there are no video or audio properties attached to the file.

Comment

Originally posted by vupmedia View Post
                        The Edius 4.24 is Broadcast edition.
                        Upgrade to 4.61 and see if that helps. Also update your QuickTime player from apple.com/quicktime

Comment

I have the same problem. Using Edius 5.12 and have the Edius NX Mainboard

Exactly same situation as vupmedia. Tried a bunch, even tried 'GSpot Codec Information Appliance', I've got Community Codec Pack installed with the ffdshow and all that, latest Quicktime{Pro}, P2 viewer P2 driver for AVCHD Pro bladibla...

Video when played has no image (this is in WMP, in Edius it doesn't import - period), it's got sound, though some players wont play it at all. The Mac dude used FCP on the wrapper and now it's an .mov. Other .mov files can be imported and played back but this set of videos cannot, and there is no possibility to retreive the original MXF's. Help?

Sorenson Squeeze can't open this video... I'm out of options here what to do what to do...

The video was captured by a Panasonic P2 Camera model no clue (format of the file is DVCPRO HD MOV 1440x1080 50i)
                          Last edited by alxwulf; 03-06-2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I've used QuickTime-wrapped DVCProHD files in Edius V4.x and V5.x without any problems, but I don't have any weird codec packs installed that may interfere with the proper decoding.

Can you post a small sample of a file that you are having problems with? Also, can you grab a screenshot of the properties shown in QuickTime Player (Ctrl-I), even if the file doesn't play?

Comment

First this one pops up;

If I hit cancel then CTRL+I this comes up;

I've uploaded a clip the smallest one I could find is stilll 19MB big sorry about that I tried converting with Sorenson Squeeze but the file can't be opened there or anywhere... >_<

Clip has been uploaded here

Thank you =))

Comment

Working...
                              X