• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malcolm
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
    Hi Malcolm,

The team in Japan would like to get ahold of a sample clip (and project) if possible. I'm guessing that in order for it to crash, it has to be a large file, right?

I wonder - what happens if you make a DVCPRO HD 1080 project (as you've already done), and stick in a really long colour bar clip - export it as stills. Does that crash?
    My apologies for the delay - I must have found some sort of work around to get what I needed to get done ... done.
    If I run into this again (I'll be needing to export stills again soon), and I run into the problem again, I'll be sure to send a clip and project your way.

Thanks!
    M

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Hi Malcolm,

The team in Japan would like to get ahold of a sample clip (and project) if possible. I'm guessing that in order for it to crash, it has to be a large file, right?

I wonder - what happens if you make a DVCPRO HD 1080 project (as you've already done), and stick in a really long colour bar clip - export it as stills. Does that crash?

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    Certainly starting to sound like a memory+DVCPRO HD codec related quirk.

I'll check in with those that know (in Japan), and see if they have any thoughts.
    Thanks K!

M.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Certainly starting to sound like a memory+DVCPRO HD codec related quirk.

I'll check in with those that know (in Japan), and see if they have any thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    Ok, getting closer to an answer.

I tried with the SD footage and there was no crash.
    I then tried with a very short range from a 1080 clip, and NO crash.

So it is the size of the clips I have been trying to export until now that seems to be causing the problem. Typically, they are shots over 15 seconds long, resulting in more than 400 still frames.

Can you point me towards the Edius Buffer setting you referred to earlier? I don't know where to find this.
    I'm thinking maybe Edius does not like pulling such a large sequence of images into the bin straight after a render of that size. Importing to the bin manually does not cause a crash, but perhaps the auto import happens at a vulnerable time directly after the long still export?

Thanks,

M.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    The top three posts in my view of that particular forum, were from you about this topic. Hence my comment.

As it is, we don't get a huge amount of time to test everything and confirm things as soon as the posts arrive.

Typically I will go through the two moderated forums on Fridays and activate what I can. The User Reported Issues forum is still a little bit of an unknown entity as far as responsibility goes (since none of the Mods are in Tech Support, so we're actually not supposed to be bug testing - it has to be treated as a spare time thing).

As a rule of thumb, if your issue cannot be solved and other people can follow your steps to successfully reproduce the error, then you should definitely post in the User Reported Issues forum.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Back to the topic. To answer your questions:

- Stills (apart from Targa and SGI) need Quicktime to import/export
    - Have you tried not adjusting the AR of the exported still sequence? If only to check?
    - No option to prevent adding to bin after a render (that I can find)
    Mmm, I get the crash with sgi and targa images too. So it seems we can rule out quicktime.

Yes, even with the adjust AR not selected, the crashes occur.

Also, is this only happening with DVCPRO HD 1080-to-still and still-to-1080 DVCPRO HD? Or are there other scenarios that reproduce the error?
    So far these are the only scenarios that produce this type of crash for me.

I have some SD footage handy: I'll see what happens with that.

Thanks!
    M.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    The top three posts in my view of that particular forum, were from you about this topic. Hence my comment.

As it is, we don't get a huge amount of time to test everything and confirm things as soon as the posts arrive.

Typically I will go through the two moderated forums on Fridays and activate what I can. The User Reported Issues forum is still a little bit of an unknown entity as far as responsibility goes (since none of the Mods are in Tech Support, so we're actually not supposed to be bug testing - it has to be treated as a spare time thing).

As a rule of thumb, if your issue cannot be solved and other people can follow your steps to successfully reproduce the error, then you should definitely post in the User Reported Issues forum.

Back to the topic. To answer your questions:

- Stills (apart from Targa and SGI) need Quicktime to import/export
    - Have you tried not adjusting the AR of the exported still sequence? If only to check?
    - No option to prevent adding to bin after a render (that I can find)

Also, is this only happening with DVCPRO HD 1080-to-still and still-to-1080 DVCPRO HD? Or are there other scenarios that reproduce the error?

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
    There is no "approval process" for most of the forums. I believe Feature Request and User Reported Issues are the only ones that go through mods before appearing.
    That is also my understanding. KH said I had spammed the User Reported Issues forum. I think he and I differ on what spam is :)

M.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    Originally posted by Aristotelis View Post
    Just a few thoughts...

1) Try to reinstall quicktime...
    I'll give this a shot. Does Edius use quicktime to import and export stills?

2) Try to set in and out points and export between in and out
    That's how I have been doing the export.

3) Defrag you Hard drives
    The drive being written to was defragged last week. I'd be surprised if this was the cause of a crash once the export has already finished. It definitely seems to be a problem with what happens after the export is done and control is being handed back to Edius.

M.

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    There is no "approval process" for most of the forums. I believe Feature Request and User Reported Issues are the only ones that go through mods before appearing.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    I've tried to make this crash, but it just won't bug on me. Aristotelis has some good points.
    Thanks for looking into this.

We need some more info:

- Version info of Quicktime
    Quicktime 7.1.6
    Is the stills exporter connected to quicktime in some way?

- Amount of RAM in the system
    2gb

- Amount of RAM allocated to the buffer (i.e. buffer size for EDIUS)
    Not sure where to check for this.

- Any image handling being used? (filtering, aspect ratio, etc)
    The clip being exported to stills is just a straight clip with no effects, no frills.
    The stills exporter is set to adjust aspect ratio.
    The stills being rendered out as a dvcprohd clip are untouched resolution wise.

If the images/AVIs are being rendered correctly, and you're just getting dumped out after it's done, then it could be that EDIUS falls down at the point where it auto-adds the newly rendered file to the bin window. Where are you saving the clips? Local or networked drive? External media/drive?
    My C drive.
    Is there a way of disabling this auto-add (which is actually undesirable for me)? This would be a way to test this theory.

PS. Please don't spam the User-reported issues forum - once is quite enough for our people to look at it. :)
    I don't think it would be fair to say I spammed the User-reported issues forum. I believe I sent one post before I had actually typed much at all in it, by mistake (I'm a human being). I then typed out the full post and sent it again.

If there was a previous post to that forum about this issue from me, it was days ago and never appeared in the forum so I can be excused for trying again. Your approval process for posts is a black box, and some messages simply never make it on to the forum, with no word back on why they didn't make it there.

Thanks
    M

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    I've tried to make this crash, but it just won't bug on me. Aristotelis has some good points.

We need some more info:

- Version info of Quicktime
    - Amount of RAM in the system
    - Amount of RAM allocated to the buffer (i.e. buffer size for EDIUS)
    - Any image handling being used? (filtering, aspect ratio, etc)

If the images/AVIs are being rendered correctly, and you're just getting dumped out after it's done, then it could be that EDIUS falls down at the point where it auto-adds the newly rendered file to the bin window. Where are you saving the clips? Local or networked drive? External media/drive?

PS. Please don't spam the User-reported issues forum - once is quite enough for our people to look at it. :)

Leave a comment:

• Aristotelis
    replied
    Just a few thoughts...

1) Try to reinstall quicktime...
    2) Try to set in and out points and export between in and out
    3) Defrag you Hard drives

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    Latest update: I get the same crash when rendering out a 1080 dvcprohd avi partially composed of a sequence of .tif images on the timeline.

This is starting to become a big problem because I have many shots to spit out as image sequences, work on, then reintegrate into the project.

It would be nice if someone from Canopus has something to say about this.

M.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm
    replied
    Originally posted by skier-hughes View Post
    I'm running 4.11 and I've just done sequences of 2 frames to 50 and used .psd and .tiff and all saved successfully and quickly.

Graham
    Thanks Graham! Lucky you :)

M.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X