Gigabyte 9800GTX+ & Edius 4.61 - 5.01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte 9800GTX+ & Edius 4.61 - 5.01

There have been many reports of the latest nVidia drivers not working (black screen or worse bsod) for the Gigabyte GV-N98XPZL-1GH and recently this was indeed an issue for most.

I had some free time on my hand and decided to dig a bit deeper in to this problem as I was still running on the older drivers that came with the card.

To make a long story short(er) it now works, with the latest nVidia drivers.

My card came supplied with bios version F10, and that actually was the culprit, I downloaded the latest bios version F12 and flashed the bios with Gigabyte latest flash utility.

This went well so after a reboot in safe mode, uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted in normal mode, installed the latest drivers ver. 181.20, rebooted again and it works great, no issues whatsoever.

I have tested the new drivers with Edius 4.61 on both my systems (see below) and also Edius 5.01, running now side by side (not at the same time but in the same XP SP3 installation) and that also runs fine, no overlay or GPU effects problem.

I thought I just inform the forum users who have been requesting on GPU card advise and were afraid to try the much cheaper Gigabyte version (or other manufacturers) and did not want to purchase the Original nVidia product, due to the much higher price.

Because the card runs so smooth my Quadro FX card in my second system has also been replaced with the much cheaper Gigabyte GV-N98XPZL-1GH, it surely out performs it by a mile, most likely due to the 4x bigger Ram.

Hope this helps some to make an easier choice to have some ease of mind what will work with Edius 5.01 and the relation to GPU effects.

Unfortunately, it still occupies 2 physical slots :-(.
    TingSern
    --------------------------------------
    Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Yep it does, but with some time on your hands you could modify the cooler as with the new Bios F12 is runs very cool in my system :)

Comment

So - you are telling me I can remove the cooler block and make it occupy 1 slot without violating the warranty of the card? :-)
        TingSern
        Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Originally posted by tingsern View Post
          without violating the warranty of the card? :-)
          I never made "that" statement, but nowadays when I look at the low prices of most electronic parts, then close one eye, If I really want / need something badly and it doesn't fit i'll "FIX" it, the hard way.

If it gets busted in the processes it was not meant to be, mostly when you need a warranty claim you don't get it anyway (the 5 pages of exclusion in the fine print) :)

I think the card you have now works good enough, not ?

Edit : if you worry about warranty, I could mod mine then if it still works we could swap cards :) I have 2 so if that one dies I could swap to the original cooler and still claim w......................

All jokes aside, it would be great if mobo manufacturers would pay a bit more attention to slot positions and what most likely will pose a problem, nowadays card are long, 2 slots wide etc. Even my NX card is very very close to my chip set cooler, also the next slot is very very close due to the double layer buildup of the NX card, it just doesn't make sense.............
          Last edited by SoundFreak; 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Right, I will take a look and see - before I start reaching for the knife :-).
            TingSern

Comment

mmm, I have an Inno 9800 gt 1gb 2 slot card in my cupboard, I tested it and it ran so hot, it was toasting the HDstorm card, and I mean hot man!

Back to the 512 8800 which is cool and safer I reckon, come the summer, the 9800 would burst into flames!

Paul
              Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PaulTV View Post
                I have an Inno 9800 gt 1gb 2 slot card in my cupboard, I tested it and it ran so hot, it was toasting the HDstorm card, and I mean hot man!
                Did you look if there is a new Bios for your GT ?

edit: to come back to the heat issue, my GTX+ was indeed a hotter card than my previous Quadro, which after the bios flash became mr. cool
                Last edited by SoundFreak; 03-06-2009, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundFreak View Post
                  If it gets busted in the processes it was not meant to be, mostly when you need a warranty claim you don't get it anyway (the 5 pages of exclusion in the fine print) :)

I think the card you have now works good enough, not ?
                  I am still stuck with Quadro 3500 - no space to spare for two slots card.
                  TingSern

Comment

I just bought a Leadtek 9800 GT card yesterday to replace my old Quadro FX540 :-)

Do I need to uninstall the quadro drivers from my XP before installing the new card, or does it not matter?

I take it that Edius 5.01 and 3rd prt plugins will find out themselves that i bigger GPU is present?

Thanks.

/Ulf
                    Best regards * Ulf * Denmark
                    mail to me
                    Main system: i7 3930K, 3.2 GHz @ 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM , 2 x WD 1TB Raid 0, 2 x 1 TB HDD, 1 x SSD boot, Nvidia GFX 570, Win 7 64.
                    Second system: i7 970, 3.2 GHz, 24 GB RAM, Asus P6T, Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB systemdrive, 4 x WD 1TB in raid 5, 1 WD 500 GB for exports, Asus GTX 460 Win 7 64.
                    Third system: Dell Precision M4600, i7 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2GB, 2 x SSD, win 7 64 Pro.

Edius 7.01 & 6.54 & - VisTitle 2

Comment

So far I have had the best experience to boot up in safe mode, uninstall the driver, change card, boot up, install new driver, reboot, adjust settings to your liking, done ..........

Note : Quadro FX cards are using different drivers, so you have to change.

Comment

Thanks SoundFreak - worked so far for me too this way.

Realtime is pretty cool :-)

Thanks for your help...

/Ulf
                        Best regards * Ulf * Denmark
                        mail to me
                        Main system: i7 3930K, 3.2 GHz @ 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM , 2 x WD 1TB Raid 0, 2 x 1 TB HDD, 1 x SSD boot, Nvidia GFX 570, Win 7 64.
                        Second system: i7 970, 3.2 GHz, 24 GB RAM, Asus P6T, Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB systemdrive, 4 x WD 1TB in raid 5, 1 WD 500 GB for exports, Asus GTX 460 Win 7 64.
                        Third system: Dell Precision M4600, i7 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2GB, 2 x SSD, win 7 64 Pro.

Edius 7.01 & 6.54 & - VisTitle 2

Comment

Working...
                        X