loading a new codec into Edius 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loading a new codec into Edius 5?

Is it possble to load Avid DNxHD into Edius 5 and use it to trans code footage.
    As in footage from a Panasonic hmc 150 AVCHD so Edius can be used to edit this footage.
    Edius 8 Workgroup, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Why would you want to that when you can covert AVCHD to canopus HQ with the free AVCHD 2 HQ converter?

To answer your question if you install an avid windows pack the codecs will Show up as export choices.

But canopus HQ is a better choice when editing in EDIUS
    Steve
    EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
    A proud EDIUS EDITOR
    For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

So where would I tell the installer to install the codec pack?
      Edius 8 Workgroup, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Comment

I want to compare the transcode times and quailty.

Comment

Just install it but I think that the transcoding from AVCHD will be way faster when done by Avchd2HQ
          Steve
          A proud EDIUS EDITOR
          For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

I installed it to where the setup.exe listed. but I cannot find it in the Edius exporter. Any idea where I should look? Don't I have to install it into a Edius folder of some sort?

Comment

Look in Quicktime. The avid package clearly says
              Avid QuickTime Codecs
              Last edited by SRsupport; 02-14-2009, 02:24 AM.
              Steve
              A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

Not in Quicktime. I also ticked "enable conversions"

Comment

MAn......do you see it now?
                  Here
                  Steve
                  A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

Steps

print to file
                    enable conversion

use the quicktime exporter
                    next you see settings
                    click on it the quicktime dialog opens.
                    export to a avid codec.

done
                    Last edited by SRsupport; 02-14-2009, 02:26 AM.
                    Steve
                    A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

I found that CINEFORM's codec for converting AVCHD files to their codec is TWO times FASTER than Canopus's AVCHD2HQ ... and CINEFORM AVI can be edited on the timeline by EDIUS. Just as good as HQ - uses wavelet compression.

It has 10 bits 4.2.2 - versus 8 bits 4.2.0 for native AVCHD files. You can download their trial copy and test it for yourself.
                      TingSern
                      --------------------------------------
                      Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

The Avid codec doesn't show up. I think it is not installed in the right place. The installation wizard puts it in c/program files/aivd/aividcodecle. I would think it would need to be installed either in some system folder of some sort or an Edius folder of some sort.

And if this sounds a little irritating to some that is how it is. I am not a professional but there is nothing on this forum that I have read that restricts posts to professionals. I pay the same as any professional and Grass Valley/Canopus has taken my money for products since the DVstorm was introduced.

Thank you

Comment

No it is a quicktime codec. Since it is a quicktime codec Quicktime has to see it for EDIUS to use it as an export codec.
                          Since it shows up in my Quicktime export module as codec choice, I don't know what you are doing wrong.
                          I have them installed on 3 systems on all three the codecs show up in the Quicktime exporter.

The Avid package states Avid QuickTime Codecs
                          So if it does not show up in quicktime maybe it is a better idea to call Avid tech support and ask them why?
                          Because this is actually not an Edius related problem .
                          Last edited by SRsupport; 02-14-2009, 03:24 PM.
                          Steve
                          A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

Maybe these pictures will help
                            4 steps
                            Attached Files
                            Steve
                            A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

Of course it is not an Edius problem. It is my problem. I am not putting the codec in the right folder obviously. But it is correct to ask in the Edius forum because Edius cannot find the codec so it would be helpful for an Edius expert to tell me where Edius needs the codec to be installed. Avid tech support probably is not familiar on an official basis with Edius structure.

It probably needs to be directed to a folder in Quicktime I suppose, but which one I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X