ADVC110 and audio levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVC110 and audio levels

I am capturing VHS tapes through my ADVC110 including audio using RCA plugs from my JVC VCR. I am connected to my computer via Firewire.

My question is about the audio. The levels of the captured audio are quite low... In my sound editor they range between 0-30 on a scale of 0-100. It is very hard to hear when played at a reasonable volume on my computer (compared to other audio). I think I understand that the VCR is putting out line-level audio over the RCA jacks which is unamplified. Is it normal to have to boost the captured audio before using it on something like a DVD?

Thanks!

No, it's not normal to have to boost the level. How does it sound when you play the tape directly to your TV?

Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by kbosward View Post
      No, it's not normal to have to boost the level. How does it sound when you play the tape directly to your TV?

Ken.
      If I play the tape on my home theater system the audio is normal. By normal I mean that I have to turn up my receiver about the same amount as I do when watching regular TV. I also tested going through the ADVC on the TV and the result was also normal.

I guess I am just confused about what I should expect to see. The waveform of the captured audio is definitely not normalized. It only ranges between 0-30 on a scale of 0-100. I had assumed this is because the captured audio is from an unamplified line-level source (the VCR).

Is there any reason not to boost the volume to a normalized level before burning to DVD?

Comment

Viewing audio on a linear scale is not a good approximation of what the ear hears -- the ear hears logarithmically! Normalizing your audio to 100% will result in about 10dB gain in volume. What you are seeing does not sound unreasonable to me. The ADVC-110 is leaving plenty of headroom to avoid clipping on very loud audio.

All I can suggest is burning a representative sample to DVD (use a rewriteable DVD if your player supports it) to determine if the audio output level is okay.

Ken.

Comment

Working...
        X