ADVC 100 For Audio-only Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVC 100 For Audio-only Conversion

I see in the 110 specs that it can do an 'audio-only' analog-digital conversion. Can I do the same with the advc 100 ( since i was of the impression that there's only slight difference bet the 100 and 110)?

I'm a little hazy on the subject, but from memory you can only capture DV streams (and hence, provide video input) for the device to function for capture.

The ADVC110 waives this requirement with compatible applications, permitting conversion of audio without the prerequisite video input signal.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
      I'm a little hazy on the subject, but from memory you can only capture DV streams (and hence, provide video input) for the device to function for capture.

The ADVC110 waives this requirement with compatible applications, permitting conversion of audio without the prerequisite video input signal.
      Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

So if your application allows audio-only capture from a DV source, then both will serve the same purpose, but in the case of ADVC100, you must provide an active video signal (just a live video signal from any video device) along with the audio input to the ADVC in order to ensure proper sampling clock.

Or in fewer words:
        • ADVC110: Connect audio input to ADVC110, connect Firewire to PC.
        • ADVC100: Connect audio input to ADVC100, connect video input to ADVC100, connect Firewire to PC.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
          So if your application allows audio-only capture from a DV source, then both will serve the same purpose, but in the case of ADVC100, you must provide an active video signal (just a live video signal from any video device) along with the audio input to the ADVC in order to ensure proper sampling clock.

Or in fewer words:
          • ADVC110: Connect audio input to ADVC110, connect Firewire to PC.
          • ADVC100: Connect audio input to ADVC100, connect video input to ADVC100, connect Firewire to PC.

Grass Valley_BH,

My intended use is to convert my analog (vinyl/cassette) audio recordings to digital, using an audio recording software like Audacity. Is your suggested set-up still applicable?

Thanks for your inputs

Comment

Yes it is, as long as you provide a live video signal (blue/green screen from VCR will do, if your VCR provides a status screen of some sort).

However, keep in mind also that phonodisc recordings are recorded with emphasis, so unless your phonodisc player has a Line/Tape Output that removes (compensates for) emphasis, you'll get a funny-sounding recording.

Most modern phonodisc players have a Line/Tape output, but older ones expect the attached device to have a Phonodisc input with de-emphasis capability.

Comment

Yes it is, as long as you provide a live video signal (blue/green screen from VCR will do, if your VCR provides a status screen of some sort).

However, keep in mind also that phonodisc recordings are recorded with emphasis, so unless your phonodisc player has a Line/Tape Output that removes (compensates for) emphasis, you'll get a funny-sounding recording.

Most modern phonodisc players have a Line/Tape output, but older ones expect the attached device to have a Phonodisc input with de-emphasis capability.

Grass Valley_BH,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'll be routing my analog turntable (a 30 yr old vintage Pioneer direct drive) thru a stereo amplifier with a phono pre-amp stage and out from the amp's tape/line out into the advc 100. I suppose that should address the 'emphasis' concern you raised?

Thanks again.

Comment

Yup, that'll take care of the emphasis concern. Sounds like you should be good with that setup.

Comment

Yup, that'll take care of the emphasis concern. Sounds like you should be good with that setup.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

On the note of Audio capture. Is there a way to make the old "Storm Audio" program capture from the ADVC110 or is that only possible with the DV Storm card and breakout box?
                    Trey Sharpton
                    In His grip!

Comment

Storm Audio only works with a DVStorm card.

Comment

Working...
                      X