Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    The ADVC's forte is more video than audio, but here are two different ways I'd approach your problem:
    1. Get an external mixer or audio filter with a High-pass and Low-pass filter. The High-pass filter will help get rid of low-level noise (usually hum). The Low-pass filter will help get rid of high-level noise (usually hiss and static).
      If only one type of noise is present, then you don't need both, but they're useful to have.
      The mixer should be between the ADVC and your source.
    2. Boost the audio level to just under the point where it gets distorted or the noise starts to overcome the other sounds, then capture it.
      Apply an audio filter in your favorite video editor or audio application (Sound Forge, Audition, etc).
      Again you'll use the same strategy - high-pass and low-pass filters, or you can use the graphic EQ if your application has one.

From a pure technical standpoint, method #1 is the superior method as you're working on the audio in the analog realm, so there's headroom and more "play" there.

In method #2, you're working on the (bad) audio after it's already been digitized and quantized, so there's slightly less you can do with it due to the limited number of samples.

Of course you can use method #1, then apply method #2 as well.

Leave a comment:

• jjccl
    started a topic Audio problem help please

Audio problem help please

Hi all. Brandon, I'm loving the 300 since you told me to change that dipswitch setting for sync. No more drop outs.

Now, I have yet another neophyte issue.

I am converting some old VHS videos that have an audio hum after capture and edit / playback through Adobe PE or PPro.

If I play the VHS directly into my TV, the volume is very low and when I turn the TV volume up I get a hum there too.

The only way I know of to normalize the sound and remove most of the hum is digitally through the equalizer effect in Adobe PP2.

Early on I learned that the picture controller software (much to my chagrin) is not designed to be open and running for real time tweaks while my VHS is playing. (or is that capturing?)

At any rate, I don't understand the audio settings very well even after looking at the manual. Is there something that will help with this issue in the setting of my capture?

thanks all!
Working...
X