No announcement yet.

ADVC 300 frustrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatively, if you have a separate USB interface (card or bus), try the drive on there. It might be a flakey USB power issue.

I just had to install a separate FireWire card in one of my machines because the on-board FireWire didn't reliably power my iSight camera. It'd work, except the green LED on the camera wouldn't light and the video signal had bad sync (the picture wasn't stable on the bottom half of the frame). Connected the camera to the FireWire card (with external power) and it's fine.

Comment

This has happened with two seperate and brand new Seagate FreeAgent external USB drives. Also, the reason I disassembled them and bought the Vantec power supply was in an attempt to eliminate the one that came with the drive.

When you say bridge chip, you mean "as in" southbridge, northbridge chips on the mother board?

In my web searching for answers, I came across someone who ultimately relented to say it was a drive incompatibility issue with the PC. Perhaps thats not far from what you mention about bridge sets.

OH well I have two brand new 500 gig paperweights. :)

Comment

By "bridge chip" I meant the chip that translate the drive interface to the external interface. In your case it'd be the SATA-USB bridge chip, but you already tried the Vantec adapter, and it's happened with two different drives so that eliminates the drive itself.

There's the possibility that the Seagate enclosure and Vantec enclosure both use the same bridge chip, but I suspect it's more likely that your USB interface on your PC is to blame.

If you have a free PCI slot I'd go get a USB 2.0 card (preferably one with an internal USB port - it's a good place to put your EDIUS dongle) and give that a try. Sometimes motherboard USB goes bad - for a variety of reasons, but usually it's because of insufficient power (may or may not relate to the PC's power supply).

Comment

Thats worth a try for sure Brandon, I'm going to get a card. The two Western Digital Hds run fine off these USB ports but this step seems an inexpensive and logical next move in figuring it out.

Did i mention these Seagate drives seem to do fine with small files. Its when they have to write very large files that the problem manifests itself, whether its a capture or even an AVI backup from a different HD. The file system is of course NTFS. I'm going to try a card though, its a good idea.

Comment

I'd also try a RAM check with MemTest86+ just in case it's a system RAM problem.

Comment

Will do Brandon, btw, I also have two PATA internal drives that I've put in external usb2 enclosures, never a problem with them either. Crazy ... maybe the SATA thing is the issue.

Comment

Use the seagate tools utility that came with the drive to disable the sleep function.
                John Glantz

Comment

John, I don't recall any software coming in the box. I'm hunting now. I'm usually pretty good about that, but ... age has a way. :)

Comment

I'm not sure if it comes on the included CD... but you can download it from the Seagate website:
                    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Comment

It's on the drive. :-)
                      John Glantz

Comment

Working...
                      X