Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converted VHS footage going pixelated in Edius only. Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converted VHS footage going pixelated in Edius only. Please help!

I converted a few VHS tapes Honestech, and the mpeg files play back perfectly on VLC and Windows Media Player. However when I import them into Edius to edit all the footage together it just goes pixelated if that makes sense? Every few seconds there'll be large sections of pixelation. The frame rate of the converted files is 25fps and the size is 720x576 and I have matched that with the Edius project settings but clearly I'm doing something wrong? Any help is much appreciated. On a tight deadline to get these tapes done for a birthday gift. Thanks!

Not enough information there to make any real suggestions. How did you capture and convert? ADVC boxes normally give a DV stream/file. Why not use the DV file generated by the ADVC? Edius will handle the DV file easily.

If you have MPEG how did you make it? What are your project settings in Edius, (there are more than framerate and resolution). When you made the mpeg files, what were the settings? What Edius version are you using.

Personally, I suspect your creation of an mpeg file from the DV original might be the problem.

Also don't trust VLC for playback comparison. It works but it has codecs hard coded into it, so it will often play things that you can't play or open elsewhere. Other softwares usually rely on globally installed system codecs.
    Edius WG 9.52.6153, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Hi Bern, thanks for the response.
      I'm afraid I don't have a clue what half of your message means, I'm not the most technically minded, so apologies if I sound dumb here. I'm using the "August VGB100 USB 2.0 Video Capture Card" and recording via the software "Honestech" which automatically saves the converted files as MPGs. It doesn't give me an option to save as DV. I then tried burning it onto a DVD instead (via this software) and that looked fine, I then imported those DVD files into Edius and they played back fine as well. So this is a get-around I guess, but I feel there must be an easier and more direct way, without burning to disk in the process!

These are my project settings, I'm using Edius X...

Frame size: 720 x 576
      Frame rate: 25.00
      Aspect Ratio: 1.4222
      Field order: Upper field
      Video channels: YCbCr + Alpha
      Bit depth: 8Bit
      Colour space: BT.709
      Stereoscopic editing: Disable
      Audio
      Sampling rate: 48000Hz
      Bit depth: 24 bit
      Channel: 4
      Setup
      Render format
      Grass Valley HQX Superfine
      Over scan size: 3%
      Audio reference level: -20.0dB
      Resampling method
      Area Average (Fast & Sharp)
      HDR/SDR gain: 615 dB
      Tone mapping: Soft clip

Thanks for the heads up about VLC, I didn't realise that. There may be a totally obvious thing that I'm doing wrong, so don't shout at me hahah!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Since you posted this in the ADVC forum, I assumed you were using a Canopus/GV ADVC analog to Firewire box, but that is not the case, so really this would probably have been better posted in one of the Edius forums.

That said, I am not familiar with that video capture device or software, so I have no idea if there are any settings you can change to improve the issue. Since the software seems to be focused more on capture and output to DVD based on my quick look at the website, it has to create the mpeg files in an IBP long GOP (Group Of Pictures) format to be DVD compatible, which is not ideal for editing.

Essentially, and in a simplified way of explaining it, this means that for every 15 frames in PAL or 18 frames in NTSC, there are only the two bookend frames per GOP that have all the data for that frame, and everything in between only holds the changed portions when comparing against several adjacent frames, however the bookend frames can't be compared against the in between frames until they have been played, so frames are also re-ordered to place the two bookends together at the start of the GOP. This requires a lot of frame reconstruction to have to happen to edit, and if the structure of this is not put together well, it can cause the kinds of things you are describing. This simple explanation is a closed GOP structure, but many DVD compatible files use an open GOP structure, that can allow even the bookend frames to not be fully encoded, requiring even more reconstruction the be required because a fully encoded frame has to be found in subsequent GOPs in order to re-construct the frames.

The best mpeg format for editing is an I-Frame format, where every frame is completely encoded, but if you can't choose I-Frame, a closed GOP is the next best option if you can make that setting in the software. This should result in a file that is more friendly for editing.

Also, for your Edius settings, I would change a few things.

1 - Set the audio channels to 2. Channels is not the tracks on the timeline. Channels is the channels in the output file. A tracks is the tracks on the timeline.

2 - Set the overscan to 0%, the 3% is a hold over from the days of CRT televisions when part of the image was masked, and make effects be not applied to the masked area or in other words "shrunk" down by 3%. If you applied a video effect it would not reach the edge of the video using the 3% setting

3 - Set the resampling to Lanczos 3 high quality for better quality re-scaling if required.
        Last edited by BernH; 10-09-2020, 08:08 PM.
        Edius WG 9.52.6153, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

If you plan on capturing more VHS or other analog tapes in the future, I'd recommend an NX or SP card, or even an old DVStorm if you have a PCI slot available, in S-Video, along with an older version of Edius. They all really do a superb job of capturing analog to DV-AVI.
            Regards,

Jon

#1: Iwill DK8N, 2 x 270 Opterons, 2 Gb RAM, WinXPPro-32, Edius 5.51, NX PCI-X & HDV Expansion, ProCoder 3, Imaginate 2, Sony WV-DR9, Sony EDV-9500, Sony GV-D200.
            #2: Asus P5E, Q9400, WinXPPro-32, Edius 6.07, HD Spark
            #3: Edius SP with Breakout Box, Win10, Edius 7.53

Comment

Thanks for the input, I will try that in the future!

Comment

Working...
              X