pausing output

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jriker1

pausing output

I am not sure yet what the problem is here so thought I would write the group. I have an ADVC110 and a S-VCR hooked up to it. I am dubbing tapes from the VHS to the computer. I am using Sony Vegas Capture to bring the content in. It has a nice option to show how long the tape has been moving, compared to how much footage actually came in. It can tell when footage has "stalled" for whatever reason and doesn't count that as part of the actual footage duration that came in.

I had a few tapes in a row recently that when I'm watching it be dubbed to the computer, the screen freezes, the VCR still shows activity, and the actual footage coming in stops. Then after a bit, duration varies, the screen starts moving again, and the actual footage coming in starts incrementing again. Do you think this is an ADVC issue, or the VCR, or maybe old tapes? Note when the footage pauses and starts again, the pause in between is skipped. so if there was a one minute pause on screen, the video will start again a minute into the tape which makes me think it's still rotating the tape in the VCR, but it's not being output for some reason at some stage of the process.

Any thoughts?

JR
  • THoff
    • May 2007

If this was one continuous recording, then I suspect a degraded or damaged tape. When the ADVC-110 can't sync with the signal from the VCR, it will stop sending DV data.

If this was not one continuous recording, you may be looking at brief tape breaks, which again will cause the ADVC-110 to stop.

Comment

• jriker1

I will have to disconnect the VCR from the Canopus and hook straight to the TV which will be a pain, however I stuck the same tape in another Sony VCR (mine is a Mitsubishi S-VHS), and it seemed for the most part to play fine. At least fine enough that it shouldn't be doing that. Occasional lines in the picture but nothing major to cause the constant stops. Is there any way, if it is the Canopus to get it to stop doing what it's probably doing? If the Canopus is the problem I will be quite upset that I had a ADVC100 that I used three times before it went bad, and then bought another ADVC110 and it works like this which is worse than a straight analog card transfer.

Thanks.

JR

Comment

• THoff
        • May 2007

If you put a TBC inline between the VCR and the ADVC, the problem will disappear because it will stabilize or regenerate the signal.

Comment

• jriker1

Originally posted by THoff
          If you put a TBC inline between the VCR and the ADVC, the problem will disappear because it will stabilize or regenerate the signal.
          Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am hearing this a lot about the miracle TBC devices. Not going to spend several hundred on a TBC for a video picture that visually looks acceptable. To me the ADVC110 is flawed if you feed it a basically clean picture and it requires a TBC to process the videos. Also I have heard in some cases the TBC can make things worse.

JR
          Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2008, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• THoff
            • May 2007

I'm not sure what to tell you.

For simple, clean signals, there are the ADVC-55 and AVC-110. They are for a specific need and don't make you pay extra for a feature (the TBC) that you don't need.

If the material you wish to digitize does not meet the signal specifications, you can use a separate TBC, or the ADVC-300.

Canopus can't please everyone. If they include a TBC that people don't need, they'll complain about the cost compared to lesser devices. If Canopus doesn't include a TBC, someone will invariably complain that the product doesn't work.

So Canopus has converters with and without a TBC, allowing you to choose the model appropriate for your needs.

Comment

• jriker1

So if I was to consider a TBC, what would you recommend? From what I understand the TBC in the ADVC300 is a line method unit which is not as good as a stand alone unit you can buy.

Thanks.

JR

Comment

• jriker1

Besides my last inquiry, does the power supply (have one from my ADVC100) make a difference is this issue totally unrelated to that?

Comment

• kbosward
                  • May 2007

You've probably already checked, but just to make sure, does your S-VHS player have a built-in TBC or "video stabilizer" and is it turned on?

Yes, the TBC in the ADVC300 is a line TBC, not a full-frame TBC, so it will not fix vertical sync problems.

Ken.

Comment

• Blinchik

oh i had the same trouble...didn't decide it yet=(

Comment

Working...