Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi8 capture 16:9 smaller Screen as 4:3???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi8 capture 16:9 smaller Screen as 4:3???

Hi Everyone.

I use ADVC 300 with a Hi8 Player. I want to capture this Hi 8/Video 8 Tapes as AVI.
    I use Magix Video Deluxe an the capture works fine, but i have one question.
    I have some Tapes that was record by an older 4:3 Cam. When I capture this Tapes, the 4:3 Avi was Fullscreen an looks OK, but when I capture the tapes ftom the newer Cam with 16:9 record, the capture file looks smaller. Normaly I think that the picture must be longer an fullscrren, but there ist a big black border around, see picture...

With Software STOIK Capturer there is the same problem.
    Ist this right? I can't change everythin in the preferences form the capture progs.
    Thanks
    Wayne
    Attached Files

Originally posted by WayneWat87 View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I use ADVC 300 with a Hi8 Player. I want to capture this Hi 8/Video 8 Tapes as AVI.
    I use Magix Video Deluxe an the capture works fine, but i have one question.
    I have some Tapes that was record by an older 4:3 Cam. When I capture this Tapes, the 4:3 Avi was Fullscreen an looks OK, but when I capture the tapes ftom the newer Cam with 16:9 record, the capture file looks smaller. Normaly I think that the picture must be longer an fullscrren, but there ist a big black border around, see picture...

With Software STOIK Capturer there is the same problem.
    Ist this right? I can't change everythin in the preferences form the capture progs.
    Thanks
    Wayne
    The second one is 16*9! Right click on the properties and change the aspect to 4*3.

Comment

It can also depend on how the camcorder recorded the tape. In some cases a camcorder might letter box the image as in your capture. In this case the camcorder "threw away" many lines of vertical resolution. In some cases the camcorder might have made it anamorphic (by changing the pixel aspect ratio) so it looks "squashed in" at the sides but would be a full height image when captured as a SD image without display format adjustment. The editing/viewing system would need to know how to display the image.

However, I don't know whether or not your capture software supports this.

Comment

Originally posted by dpalomaki View Post
        It can also depend on how the camcorder recorded the tape. In some cases a camcorder might letter box the image as in your capture. In this case the camcorder "threw away" many lines of vertical resolution. In some cases the camcorder might have made it anamorphic (by changing the pixel aspect ratio) so it looks "squashed in" at the sides but would be a full height image when captured as a SD image without display format adjustment. The editing/viewing system would need to know how to display the image.

However, I don't know whether or not your capture software supports this.
        Good point pseudo widescreen.
        One would hope the o/p would compare a previously captured tape to see if the results change.

Comment

FWIW: I believe there was series of Sony camcorders that offered three screen width modes:

- Standard 4:3 mode

- "16:9 WIDE" mode that would appear "squashed" in from the sides on a standard 4:3 TV.

- "CINEMA" that pitch scan lines. to obtain a wide look. It looked top/bottom letterboxed on a standard 4:3 TV, but could be expanded to fill to screen on a 16:9 TV. This would have a black border all around on a typical 16:9 set unless a zoom mode is selected.

The attached manual extract explains.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X