Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    It all depends, there's no universal answer to your question. Different compression formats have different strengths and weaknesses.

I would convert them to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 so you can put them on DVD later (or transfer them to a TiVo), but that's just me.

DV format is best for editing, so if you're going to edit out commercials or something, then do that before the recompression.

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    GrassValley_BH i only want to digitize my vhs tapes and save the collection on an external hdd .

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    GrassValley_BH i only want to digitize my vhs tapes and save them on my hdd .

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    Hey there,

1. Polarity is the positive/negative of the electrical connection. Just because a plug fits, it doesn't mean the polarity (positive tip or negative tip) is correct. Plugging in a power supply with the wrong polarity will usually fry (render inoperable) the device, as will plugging in a power supply with improper voltage. Most devices have some tolerance for voltage variances, as power supply voltages have some variance from the rated voltage, but most do not have protection from reversed polarity.
    At this point if everything's working you don't have to worry, but be careful in the future so you don't fry devices.

2. What you're getting is a datastream in the Consumer DV format. By the DV specification, it's 25 Mbps, which equates to approximately 13 GB per hour. To get a smaller size, you will need to recompress the captured data, which usually involves some degree of loss to get it smaller than 25 Mbps.
    The choice of compression format largely depends on what you want to do.
    So... what do you plan to do with the resulting file?

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    I hope you checked the polarity first, but it would be too late now if it was wrong. :)

That power supply looks like it's sufficiently close to the ADVC's requirements. It should work, but remember that damaged caused by using a different power supply is not covered under warranty.

Some laptop FireWire PC cards have a DC power jack to provide FireWire power as well.
    1- what do u mean by polarity ? but since it's working ok right now , should i worry ?

2- when i record the files they are huge is it possible to make them smaller ?

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    I hope you checked the polarity first, but it would be too late now if it was wrong. :)

That power supply looks like it's sufficiently close to the ADVC's requirements. It should work, but remember that damaged caused by using a different power supply is not covered under warranty.

Some laptop FireWire PC cards have a DC power jack to provide FireWire power as well.

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    hi ,

1- i am using the software provided with the device (edius ) and when i capture something i don't know where it saved to ?

2- when i use dvcapture software the files are saved as avi and they are so big . is it possible to let them be saved as mpeg 2 ?

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    hi GrassValley_KH ,

hi the problem is that i don't live in the u.s.a and i takes alot of time for an item to be shipped to my country . therefore i used my sony reader power supply and it worked , so will this harm my device in the long run ?

it says on the sony reader power supply :

input : 100 -240 v - 50/60 mhz 0.26A

output : 5.2v - 2000mA

Leave a comment:

• Sebastian
    replied
    I think the build in video capture software in XP will be able to encode
    to wma or mpeg2 on the fly.
    You will probably need a good cpu to encode 2 streams of video in real time,
    but it is worth trying.

Sebastian

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    The PCMCIA card won't provide power to the ADVC110, so if you want to use it with that laptop, you'll need to pick up an ADVC110 power supply (from wherever you purchased the unit itself).

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    hi ,

i received my ADVC110 and i am facing a problem .

when i connected it to my 6 pin firewire port on my desktop it powered on .

and since i don't have any firewire ports on my laptop i bought a three port fire wire pcmcia card ( all are 6 pin ) but when i connected the ADVC110 to my laptop it didn't power on ?!

are the ADVC110 not suitable to work with pcmcia cards ? or do i need an external power supply ?

please help

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    Because the ADVC is an analog to DV format converter. It's not like (most) TV-capture cards where the system receives an uncompressed video stream and the CPU has to compress it.

If you need straight to MPEG capture from Analog, then you need something else - or software that will transcode DV to MPEG on-the-fly, but they tend to provide so-so quality.

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by kbosward View Post
    The ADVC units capture a DV video stream (the sames a what a DV camera would send to the computer). DV files occupy around 13GB for 1 hour of video.

Ken.
    13 gb for one hour is way too much , 6 x the size of one hour of dvd quality picture .
    is it possible to make it smaller , and when the source is vhs why do i need the file to be this size ?

Leave a comment:

• kbosward
    replied
    The ADVC units capture a DV video stream (the sames a what a DV camera would send to the computer). DV files occupy around 13GB for 1 hour of video.

Ken.

Leave a comment:

• bugsbunny14
    Guest replied
    anyone ????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X