vhs => digital ? 2 vcrs at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi ,

1- i am using the software provided with the device (edius ) and when i capture something i don't know where it saved to ?

2- when i use dvcapture software the files are saved as avi and they are so big . is it possible to let them be saved as mpeg 2 ?

Comment

I hope you checked the polarity first, but it would be too late now if it was wrong. :)

That power supply looks like it's sufficiently close to the ADVC's requirements. It should work, but remember that damaged caused by using a different power supply is not covered under warranty.

Some laptop FireWire PC cards have a DC power jack to provide FireWire power as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
        I hope you checked the polarity first, but it would be too late now if it was wrong. :)

That power supply looks like it's sufficiently close to the ADVC's requirements. It should work, but remember that damaged caused by using a different power supply is not covered under warranty.

Some laptop FireWire PC cards have a DC power jack to provide FireWire power as well.
        1- what do u mean by polarity ? but since it's working ok right now , should i worry ?

2- when i record the files they are huge is it possible to make them smaller ?

Comment

Hey there,

1. Polarity is the positive/negative of the electrical connection. Just because a plug fits, it doesn't mean the polarity (positive tip or negative tip) is correct. Plugging in a power supply with the wrong polarity will usually fry (render inoperable) the device, as will plugging in a power supply with improper voltage. Most devices have some tolerance for voltage variances, as power supply voltages have some variance from the rated voltage, but most do not have protection from reversed polarity.
          At this point if everything's working you don't have to worry, but be careful in the future so you don't fry devices.

2. What you're getting is a datastream in the Consumer DV format. By the DV specification, it's 25 Mbps, which equates to approximately 13 GB per hour. To get a smaller size, you will need to recompress the captured data, which usually involves some degree of loss to get it smaller than 25 Mbps.
          The choice of compression format largely depends on what you want to do.
          So... what do you plan to do with the resulting file?

Comment

GrassValley_BH i only want to digitize my vhs tapes and save them on my hdd .

Comment

GrassValley_BH i only want to digitize my vhs tapes and save the collection on an external hdd .

Comment

It all depends, there's no universal answer to your question. Different compression formats have different strengths and weaknesses.

I would convert them to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 so you can put them on DVD later (or transfer them to a TiVo), but that's just me.

DV format is best for editing, so if you're going to edit out commercials or something, then do that before the recompression.

Comment

Working...
                X