How to fix the capture stop in the middle of capturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix the capture stop in the middle of capturing

Hello, I am a newbie, and a first time using ADVC-300. When I captured the VHS to my computer, every 20 or 25 minutes I got kicked off. Is there any setting that would be adjusted to prevent this happen? Thanks
    I am using pinnacle software to capture the analog video tape connected thru ADVC-300. My system is P4 3GHZ, with 2 Gb of ram and 256 MB geforce graphic card. It run on windows XP pro.
    When I captured the video, every 20 to 25 minutes. I kept getting disconnected from the ADVC-300 and reconnected. The system hardware dectection keeps appears saying that it detect the firewire device.... that was the problem
    Last edited by VSDS; 05-15-2007, 04:10 AM.

You might want to say what platform you are on, what software you are using to capture, and exactly what you mean by getting "kicked off".

Comment

20-25 min of DV = 4GB

you are getting kicked off if capturing to Fat32 drive (4GB limit per file)

when capturing to NTFS drive, then you can capture all day long (no limit until the disk is full)
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Nope, my drive is formatted as NTFS

Comment

What Pinnacle software are you using to capture?

The 1/2/4GB AVI filesize limit is a function of both the filesystem being captured to and the capture software (depends what method it uses to do the AVI writing).

Comment

Originally posted by VSDS View Post
            The system hardware dectection keeps appears saying that it detect the firewire device...
            I don't think his problem has anything to do with the file system -- the ADVC-300 disappears as far as Windows is concerned.

I would try another cable, and maybe another Firewire port if you have one. If you are using a Firewire hub or are daisy-chaining devices, plug the ADVC-300 directly into your computer. Check the AC cable to make sure it is plugged firmly into the power brick and outlet.

Comment

Also check for power-saving settings that might be turning things off.

Comment

We've seen intermittant disconnect of DV devices on some systems. Most common with Dell.

Send an email to [email protected] and request the ADVC patch for intermittant DV disconnects. We'll know what you're talking about and will forward the patch with installation instructions.

Comment

Pinnacle Studio (and most other video editing programs) sends device control messages to the ADVC-300 which basically tells it to stop converting if there is a break in the analog input (eg. between recordings on the source tape).

The only way around this that I have found is to use the shareware program Scenalyzer to do the capturing. Scenalyzer was especially written with Analog-to-DV converters in mind and allows you to turn off the device control option (Set Misc Options->Use device control to No). Then you can record all day!

Ken.

Comment

You can also use the free WinDV to capture with the ADVC devices, there is a checkbox between the Capture and Config buttons that enables/disables device control. It's a tiny and very robust application with a 100 frame input buffer which helps avoid frame drops when your system is temporarily busy.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BM View Post
                      We've seen intermittant disconnect of DV devices on some systems. Most common with Dell.

Send an email to [email protected] and request the ADVC patch for intermittant DV disconnects. We'll know what you're talking about and will forward the patch with installation instructions.

BM why don’t you put these patches on the download section of the canopus website...
                      I believe that this might save time from all of us...
                      Speaking for myself the first thing I do for problem solving is to check the download section for updates...
                      Aristotelis Bafaloukos
                      Systems Engineer, Video Editor, 3D Artist
                      BEng (Hons), MSc, MBCS

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Comment

Hi Aristotelis,

Ya, it would be nice to post the files, howerver, they do not belong to GV. The files were copied from a working system and zipped up. They are actually Microsoft property.

Comment

Working...
                        X