Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevy
    • Feb 2015

ADVC-300 Best analog import settings

I have just acquired an ADVC-300 at great expense and use it with a new model Macbook Pro. As the software doesn't run in my Mac I have to make any adjustments on the box itself without being able to preview the results in real time like it seemed possible with the software. I have a headache trying to figure out how to make the adjustments despite having a copy of the instruction manual. The colours bleed and are not accurate with the original and of course the images are not clear so can anyone recommend what they consider to be the best settings to sharpen, reduce noise, correct colours and colour spill or bleed or whatever you call it when the colour smudges out from objects in the video. I believe it has a line based TBC but would you recommend using a full frame TBC as well? I'm sure this has all been covered in other postings it's just that I can find them.

I would really appreciate any education you could give me.
  • SoundFreak_HD
    • Oct 2011

I can't comment on the advc 300 but in a perfect world with no budget constrains a full frame tbc would be preferd.
    Not sure if you can switch off the line tbc though, that would be an assumption on my side.

While I do a bit of analog vhs capture and clean up myself, it seems that component signal capture into uncompressed is preserving the most of the original signal.

My jobs are often done through s-video connection of my s-vhs deck that has a build-in full frame tbc.
    while the result is acceptable I wish I could find a component output card for my player.

It depends greatly on how the analog source has been originally recorded and via what means it is being played out to capture. (Tape drop outs /Head alignment / tracking comes to mind)

It also helps a lot to have software around like Neat video, it can sometimes perform small miracles but in general restoring analog SD is tedious work. (Unless your source is pristine........)

Do keep in mind that after all the hard work it most likely won't look that great as we are all used (spoiled) by digitally recorded HD footage and even the best cleaned up anslog SD footage can't come that close to that.
    Last edited by SoundFreak_HD; 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM.
    Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
    EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
    wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

• dpalomaki
      • Oct 2007

For VHS capture and restoration visit: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/
      The folks there obsess about VHS (and other analog formats) capture and restoration and can provide a lot of useful information - some that maybe a bit over the top depending on your personal needs.

They do not like capture into DV format for restoration, due to it being a lossy format and 4:1:1 (or 4:2:0) color. They also are not keen on using a MAC for VHS capture/restoration in large part due to available H/W and S/W options.

Component would perhaps be the best format for capture, but considering the limitations of VHS (and S-VHS, 8mm and Hi8) using S-VIDEO works well and is readily available and affordable.

They do like lossless formats in 4:2:2, and devote a lot of discussion to setting up budget systems to do capture, and uses of low cost tools to do restoration.

A full frame TBC is generally needed for VHS capture, although some tapes may not need it, and some VCRs are much better than others. The Panasonic AG-1980 (in NTSC land) is a favorite, as are some of the higher end JVC S-VHS machines. The condition of old VCRs (e.g., from e-bay) can be problematic.

Color bleed and other common VHS issues will likely need additional post capture processing with tools like Virtual DUB and AVSYNTH.

Given the variability of VHS tapes and players, there is no one "right" setting for the ADVC - the default is a reasonable starting point. You would need to make adjustments to best fit the tape player.

Comment

Working...