ADVC 300 Oddity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVC 300 Oddity

Something really strange happened to me today that I cannot explain and which has never happened to me before.

I tried to record a 4 hour live TV broadcast using my ADVC-300 using a S-Video connection. Before the broadcast started, I used the Picture Controller to confirm the filter settings and to kick-start the ADVC-300 detection. In my experience applications have an easier time finding the ADVC if I access it from Picture Controller first by opening the Preview window -- this also selects the correct video input source on the ADVC.

I opened the Preview window and saw and heard the TV program, everything was fine. I closed the Preview window, exited Picture Controller, started the capture, and went back to bed (the program was scheduled to run from 5AM to 9AM).

Shortly after 9AM, I stopped the capture and double-clicked on the AVI file for a quick review using Windows Media Player. The video looked great, but there was no sound! I double-checked all the usual culprits like a muted sound card, low audio levels etc., and even checked the audio properties of the file. The file did contain a PCM audio stream, but it was silent.

I reopened my capture program, captured a seconds of the current TV program, and checked that -- it was fine and had audio. I had made no changes in the cabling, capture settings, or anything else.

It's no big deal because I can get the program off my Tivo, I just need to hook up the ADVC to it and recapture, but it costs me time to do it and I'm at a loss to explain what happened. I have captured hundreds of hours with my ADVC-300 and this is a new one for me. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Does the TiVo recording have non-silent audio?

The 300 has only one input, and the DV codec should take the audio that's coming in, so I'm stumped.

Comment

No, the Tivo recording is fine, I'm recording that right now -- I've got another hour to go, and the reason why I recorded the live broadcast was to save me the time of doing what I'm doing now.

The ADVC-300 was connected to a separate DirecTV receiver in my office, and I watched the first few minutes of the live broadcast on the TV connected to that receiver. There was audio there, too.

I pulled the AVI file into Edius, and there was an audio stream in it, but the audio waveform was a flat line. A second capture shortly after stopping the 5AM to 9AM recording and discovering the problem without turning off the ADVC-300 or making any cabling changes worked fine.

I'm just going to pretend it never happened...

Comment

Do you have a clever dog that might have disconnected the audio cables and reconnected them before you woke up? :) Sorry, I really have no idea what could have caused the lack of audio. I agree, just write it off as an unexplained event.

Ken.

Comment

Working...
        X