No announcement yet.

Problem with artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have defragged the c drive which appears to be running correctly. I rebooted the system then tried it again. It is even wirse than before. What is going on. I am capturing as an NTSD AVI file. I have new cables plenty of space. Can't figure it out. It now looks like a confetti filter was added. Could it be the VCR? Although it went to the digital camcorder tape just fine. Something between the back of the canopus 300 and the hardrive.

Comment

Did you mean DVSD AVI (Microsoft DV), or are you really capturing to some NTSD codec?

Try taking the captured file to another computer and see if it plays back correctly there. At least that will tell you whether it's something in the capture process, or if it's just the playback that's messed up.

Comment

Here goes. I have been trying everything and it was suggested I try using the pass thru on my sony video camera. Here is what happens... (I still have the canopus in the middle since it is difficult to get to the back of the VHS), I go from VHS to Canopus with RYW composite( my video cannot connect that way) I go out of canopus 300 with same & into camera with a mini jack on the A/V stero connecting cable.Fromthe camera to the computer via firewire. It still had confetti whe I tried using the E drive (non UDMA5) but it worked perfectly when saved to the C drive ( with UDMA5)

Now it appears that maybe there are two things happening here.

1) The E drive for some reason is not either connected with the correct cable or still needs further defrag and rebooting unless it is just failing

And

2) There is a problem with the can0pus 300 in doing the conversion. When it is switched to analog there are two orange lights lit - 3D Processing
        Y/C and NR (All switches on the bottom of the unit are in the off position)

I think there are gremlins at work.

Carol

Comment

is the video drive a slave of the C drive? as in connected on the same cable?

or is the video drive on the secondary IDE cable? and is it sharing another drive such as CD/DVD burner?

open the PC and investigate

the video drive should be on the end of the secondary cable and be a master and have nothing else connected to the cable, once that is done, go to device manager and delete the secondary IDE channel and reboot, then reboot again when prompted

this channel will then correctly work in UDMA5 mode

you can connect the CD/DVCD burner as slave on the primary channel
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I think you may have something here. I will open it in daylight and see. Still would that explain why I get cofetti artifacts when saving to the C drive which is the primary when using the canopus 300 but when I use my Sony Camcorder as a digital pass through I don't? Is that a problem with the canopus?

Comment

I would work on solving your HD problems first. Download the HD Tune Hard Disk Utility and compare the transfer speeds on your C drive and E drive. You should be getting transfer speeds >35MB/s. Check that the cable on your secondary IDE channel is 80-conductor (required for DMA modes >2) and not 40-conductor. And as antonsvideo suggested, try it with the video drive as the master (and only drive) on the secondary channel.

The VideoStudio 10+ manual (Appendix D) also suggests disabling write cache on your video drive, although I'm doubtful that will have a significant effect.

Ken.

Comment

I am beginning to think that your canopus 300 is dead

however, slow hard disk performance can also cause what you are seeing, but since it worked fine via Sony, I think the canopus 300 is faulty

in any case, make sure your video drive is the master and the only device on the cable and it must be UDMA5 and handle 50mb/sec or more when testing with diskspeed
                Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I ran HD True I got the following:

C Drive: 120 Gig 42.9 Avg Transfer Rate, 13.3 Access time, 67.4 Burst, 3.3% CPU
                  E Drive: 200 Gig 45.1 Avg Transfer Rate, 13.5 Access time, 66.7 Burst, 4.6% CPU

I checked inside and C is Master E is Slave on Primary and DV Rom is Primary and DVD RW is Slave on Secondary. unless I get different cables I cannot do it differently.

I think the evaluation that the Canopus is somehow faulty is making sence at this time. I will contact Support at Canopus since it I think is still under warrenty.

Thank you for all your help so far.

Comment

your setup and test results are sufficient

I suspect a faulty converter
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

Thank you. I have contacted Canopus to see about getting it back on line. It was great while it worked.
                      This forum has been great I have learned a great deal which will help in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X