Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
AJL14

Default Copy a Sequence to another Project ???

Hello all,

Try as I might, I cannot copy a sequence (with effects, etc.) from one Project into another. I cannot output to an *avi, and just copy that into the bin of another project, for that will not allow me to adjust the effects (pix in pix, lumakeys and chromakeys, etc.) once the avi is made.

Try as I might, and tutorials and manuals I have perused - and I don't find a solution. Any one of you who might have a work-around, I would greatly appreciate it. To rebuild the sequences would be nearly an impossible feat.

Many thanks....in advance...
Cheers,
Alan

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller
AJL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL14 View Post
Hello all,

Try as I might, I cannot copy a sequence (with effects, etc.) from one Project into another. I cannot output to an *avi, and just copy that into the bin of another project, for that will not allow me to adjust the effects (pix in pix, lumakeys and chromakeys, etc.) once the avi is made.

Try as I might, and tutorials and manuals I have perused - and I don't find a solution. Any one of you who might have a work-around, I would greatly appreciate it. To rebuild the sequences would be nearly an impossible feat.

Many thanks....in advance...
Cheers,
Alan
Not sure if it is the most graceful way or not but I think there is a way to just import an entire project into a new project and then just delete all the stuff from the original that you didn't need.

I just poked around in Edius...I think to do it you go to File Import Sequence and actually import the Edius project file of your original project and it will bring in the whole project including your sequences. WHen you get the import option window up make sure to disable the copy clips setting or you will get all your clips copied to the new project as well. Just delete all the original stuff you don't need and you are good to go.

I just tried it out and it worked great.

Hope that helps. Wow...I helped 2 people in one night. I'm feelin' smart! :-)
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
mattmatt

Philip is right, but what do you mean exactly.....you can't do it in Edius? Or you can't do it in After Effects? Or both? For Edius, just do what Philip suggested, and in AE just import a project....can't believe you didn't try that...
Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatt View Post
Philip is right, but what do you mean exactly.....you can't do it in Edius? Or you can't do it in After Effects? Or both? For Edius, just do what Philip suggested, and in AE just import a project....can't believe you didn't try that...
He may have missed the functionality in Edius because it is called Import Sequence and not project. I would have never thought to try a Sequence import. The only reason I knew that was because someone asked a similar question way back when Sequences became a feature and I happened to remember it was there. Just dug a little and uncovered it.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
drgagx

I have the same question as AJL.

On my v4.54 I am unable to import a sequence from another project into the bin of an already open project. The import sequence window opened from the timeline in fact only permits the import of a project. It would be a useful feature for me just to be able to import a sequence, as I will have a need to do this. I have about six projects on the go, with from six to ten sequences in each project. Some of these sequences will end up as discrete DVDs. Others will be combined and I need some way to combine them. The six projects comprise about 350-400GB of DV clips, typically 60GB each with from 100 to 200 clips in each.

I had assumed the way to combine sequences would be to put markers on each sequence and output to file using PCE and then create a new project from this output combining the sequences as needed. It would be much quicker to be able to do this direct from another project via the import sequence dialogue. Is this likely to be feasible in the future or does the way the Edius software is written preclude this possibility?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
mattmatt

Yeah thats right - Same in AE, you can't import compositions or sequences as such, only full projects. Edius's menu option "import sequence" is miss-leading...true.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Bluetongue

I import the Project but making sure the Copy files box is not ticked
This brings the Bin contents and the sequences from the project being copied into the present one
I then delete the sequences and Bin contents I do not want and as no files were copied it has taken up no more disk space and the required sequence is now in the new project and can be manipulated and changed without changng the original
Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop HP dv7-2111TX Win 7 HP(64) Quad T9000 8G mem Edius 7.31 Kingston 240gSSD+750G HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
AJL14

Thanks everyone. Do appreciate the expert help. And MattMatt - your suggestion of using After Effects is a great one. I have only one small problem in doing this. I don't use or have After Effects!

See ya'll.....Cheers,
Alan

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller
AJL14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS