Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
FrankLad

Default A little Edius representation

Man, I'd really like to see this list grow. I can't imagine editing on anything else since I switched over to Edius 6. (Is there anything else out there as reliable in terms of stability?)

http://shotonwhat.com/editing_system/edius-editing

I'm not paid to promote for Grass Valley; I just like to get behind a product I believe in.

Anyone else edit a feature in Edius?
FrankLad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
createmedia

I make promos that are about 3 minutes, how to videos about 7 and documentaries around 30 minutes. A lot of my stuff is made up almost out of nothing in the way of provided material from the client. Silk purses and Sow's ears etc, etc.

Yes its a good tool Edius, and work experience students I have in get going on it pretty well within an hour, which shows how easy it is intuitively to use.

Compositing work with still pictures takes a long time, but then it always does, but in Edius you have both a compositing and an editing tool in one.

Its so nice editing without picking up a razor blade. Why emulate physical life in software like some other packages do? If you are going to spend a large part of your life cutting, then the operation needs to be as fast and simple as it can be, and in Edius it is - just press the c key. I have edited straight off a CF card and exported to H264 all in a few minutes then when the file has gone to a server, you can transfer the files off the memory stick into the project or have that going on in the background.

Pretty much any format any frame rate, bang there it is on the timeline no conversions in third party packages on the desktop running overnight before you can use the footage.

No piece of software is perfect and we can all complain about some details not being how we want them, but the test is are you sitting there with your credit card out, poised to buy something else, well no that's not me. It would be like getting the soft toy away from the dogs mouth including the growls while you tugged at the toy, the toy of course being Edius.

Mike
Sys 4 HPZ800 with dual 5650 CPU - 24 logical cores Edius 7.32 Storm 3G Elite and Decklink 4K extreme 24 Gigs RAM Nvidia Quadro 4000 3G VRAM 49 inch LG 850 4K TV. Sys 1-3 Edius 6.08 RX-E1 + HDBX1000 MIP in HP xw8600 dual X5492 CPU 8 cores, 8Gig RAM, Quadro FX3700. All sys Fibred to central media pool - 5TB Axus Yotta RAID via QLogic Fibre Switch. Central VCR rack plus YUV & audio to viewing room with Yamaha AX1 7.1 100 watt per channel amp with 1000W subwoofer and 63 inch 3D Samsung plasma.
createmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
FrankLad

Thanks for sharing, Mike! I totally agree; I think you nailed the essence of it.
FrankLad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Schoenmaeckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLad View Post
Is there anything else out there as reliable in terms of stability?
When I had edius 5.5 on my system it was rock solid, never has a crash, but I cannot say the same for edius 6.5. It sits on the same system, it is a fresh installed one and there are no virusscanner, firewall installed and it's not connected to the internet.
I"m not complaining as it crashes not that much, but it does on occasion and usually at a moment you don"t want it to. :) I just manually save a lot during the edit.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
antonsvideo

remove the firewall and it should be stable like EDIUS5

EDIUS Pro7 with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X79 Extreme11, HexaCore Intel Core i7-4930K, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Quadro K4000, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 4x WD RE4 2TB in Raid5 for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 x Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
henry poon

Default how to remove firewall?

do you mean the Window firewall? how to remove it?
henry poon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Schoenmaeckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
remove the firewall and it should be stable like EDIUS5
There is no firewall active on my system.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
antonsvideo

opps, when I read firewall installed, I read it wrong

you meant there is no firewall installed, so back to the drawing board

list your system specs and installed plugins and exact 6.5 version, 6.53 is the latest available

EDIUS Pro7 with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X79 Extreme11, HexaCore Intel Core i7-4930K, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Quadro K4000, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 4x WD RE4 2TB in Raid5 for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 x Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
RonnieMartin

No piece of software is perfect and we can all complain about some details not being how we want them, but the test is are you sitting there with your credit card out, poised to buy something else, well no that's not me. It would be like getting the soft toy away from the dogs mouth including the growls while you tugged at the toy, the toy of course being Edius.

Mike[/QUOTE]

I agree. When I go back and think from where I originally came from, Edius has been the best most stable editing tool I have ever used. Two years ago, we produced a 20 week TV dirt racing show that aired on four stations in Mississippi. Our original agreement with the "executive producer" was that we would shoot about 4 months in advance and then start our season in the fall just as the spring and summer racing season began to slow down. After about three shows, most of the perks promised did not materialize and I was up against a time schedule that was grueling. I would get back from the race for that weekend on Sunday Morning at 4:00 AM and my show was due on Tuesday morning at 8:30 AM for shipping via UPS. I was supposed to have a driver, a grip, and shoot months in advance. I was supposed to have not only the footage from the race edited, but ten thirty second commercials ready in two days. Had it not been for Edius and the quick ingest of the Sony EXDCAM footage, I would never made my deadlines. In previous projects before EXDCAM/Edius we were shooting HDV and it would take at least a day to just capture the footage. Even though we had a back up machine running the same version of Edius just in case we had a problem, the main editing machine never let us down.

Needless to say, Edius and I spent many all night sessions keeping up with the schedule.

One other thing that was in my favor, was that Anton in Australia would be on line at that time of the morning due the time Zone difference. When I got stuck on something I did wrong, he and others were always there to answer my plea for help.

Thanks GV for providing a super stable fast editing platform and this forum.

Ronnie
main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 840 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drive in thermaltake Black device.
RonnieMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS