Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Bassman

Default VirtuMVP & Quicksync

Hello,

Just wanted to see if anybody has used this software with Edius?

It came with my Z77 board and it is allows one to access both video cards (one being the Intel chip) without needing to plug a monitor in the Intel connector.

It does work but I have to switch it on or off in the systray before launching Edius to choose a graphics card. (NVidia for Boris & editing and Intel for Quicksync exports). I think Edius is not allowing it to do its full thing but I like having both monitors plugged into my NVidia card.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Ron Evans

I never got it to work for me as my understanding was a monitor connected to the motherboard could also use the Nvidia or ATI card hardware for games for which the Intel chip set was not fast enough but would be outputed through the motherboard connector. Since I do have both my monitors connected to my Nvidia card and run normally with the Intel motherboard VGA connected to my TV monitor ( it also worked connected to one of the other inputs on the 2 monitors on the Nvidia card which was not selected for use. DVI from the Nvidia card, VGA from the motherboard with the DVi selected for use.). Motherboard bios had Intel VGA chip set selection for "always use " so would not get disabled if there was a video card installed.

Ron Evans
Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz, 16G RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7TH, WIN7 64 Home Premium, 500G boot, 500G temp, 2x1T RAID 0 on Adaptec 2405 controller, 2T Project drive, 3T Family and Project storage, Quantum Ultrium LTO3 tape drive, HDSpark, and 2 LG Bluray burners, Thermaltake BlacX eSata/USB hard drive dock, Antec 1200 case, 2 x 24" Dell monitors, Viewsonic VT2300 LED monitor on the HDSpark

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX1, Sony NX5U, Sony XR500, Sony CX700, Sony NX30
Ron Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
GrassValley_PS

There have been several discussions here about it. Some good info though sometimes a bit confusing.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
David Clarke

Don't use it, it causes random crashes.

The best way to get quicksync to work is have the main monitor connected to the nvidia/ati and a second to the Intel on board. Or you could connect one monitor to both but not only see one at a time.

The point of virtu is that you can have just one screen connected to the nvidia and still use the Quicksync. Once installed it sits in the system track (next to the clock) and you have to choose to add EDIUS to the list of prograns in its settings and click the "on" button. However when it is ON I have had random crashes on many systems using EDIUS 6 and 6.5. If you are really desperate to use one screen you can install it and have it turned off when editing, then shut down EDIUS and turn it on, restart EDIUS and just do the encoding although I am not convinced this is 100% perfect.

Some motherboards come with a full version, some with a trial version.

My advice is don't bother.
Desktop: 3.6Ghz 2011 pin i7 processor, 16GB RAM, nVidia 570, Blackmagic Extreme 3D, Windows 7 Pro/8
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Bassman

Thanks for your input. I am confused about a thing or two.

If I do plug a monitor in both the NVidia & Intel connector, does Edius still choose one or the other? It seems Edius likes to have one graphics card listed in the settings. So if I choose the NVidia card, will the Intel hardware encoder still be an option when I want to encode?

I will test putting a monitor on both cards but I do not know how my Spyder 3 monitor calibration will react having two video cards to deal with. This is why I am favoring both monitors into the NVidia card.

I did a search here before my initial post for "VirtuMVP' and it came back with zero results...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Ron Evans

As you can see from my signature I have 2 monitors on my Nvidia card and the motherboard connected to my VT2300LED that is connected to my SPARK card . But encode will still work if the motherboard VGA is connected to either of the Dell monitors VGA connector whether its selected or not. As far as the motherboard is concerned it is connected to a monitor. The fact the input is not active on that monitor does not seem to matter. Most of the time when I am encoding the VT2300LED is switched off, but of courses still has power and this seems enough for the motherboard to sense a monitor connected. As far as PC use it is the Nvidia card but the programs that use Quicksync like Edius and TMPGenc will use just fine. One exception appears to be Vegas which needs the monitor to be actively using the motherboard VGA !!! I have a request into Sony as to why this is the case when their competitors do not need it connected this way. No reply yet !!1

Ron Evans
Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz, 16G RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7TH, WIN7 64 Home Premium, 500G boot, 500G temp, 2x1T RAID 0 on Adaptec 2405 controller, 2T Project drive, 3T Family and Project storage, Quantum Ultrium LTO3 tape drive, HDSpark, and 2 LG Bluray burners, Thermaltake BlacX eSata/USB hard drive dock, Antec 1200 case, 2 x 24" Dell monitors, Viewsonic VT2300 LED monitor on the HDSpark

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX1, Sony NX5U, Sony XR500, Sony CX700, Sony NX30
Ron Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
GrassValley_PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I did a search here before my initial post for "VirtuMVP' and it came back with zero results...
Just search for Virtu
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Bassman

Thanks Ron. I will try to run a cable up to one of my monitors and see if that is enough to get the hardware encoder active. I need to see if I even have a VGA cable!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Andreas_Gumm

I will get the parts for my first Ivy Bridge system tomorrow.
I have just one short question related to the connected monitor.
Will Quicksync still work if the power supply from monitor has been shut off?
I usually turn off my monitors from power if I leave the office while night jobs are running.

Many thanks in advance.

Andreas
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
burnandreturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas_Gumm View Post
I will get the parts for my first Ivy Bridge system tomorrow.
I have just one short question related to the connected monitor.
Will Quicksync still work if the power supply from monitor has been shut off?
I usually turn off my monitors from power if I leave the office while night jobs are running.

Many thanks in advance.

Andreas
I just tried it and it works. I did not pull the plug. Only shut the monitor off.
Edius 6.55, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 7 Professional 64bit
burnandreturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories