Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
Red Union Films
Banned

Default Downloadable Edius HD down conversion to DVD MPEG2 test project.

Hi All.

Here is a test project that contains DVD MPEG2 compatible encodes, using various methods for the down conversion process.

The test file is a short Edius EX3 1080P 25fps video clip. Although this camera and clip may not be the highest resolution possible for such a test, there is enough fine detail in the footage to show the differences in the down conversion methods.

The final encodes to DVD MPEG2 compatible files was chosen as this is the usual format used to show SD footage. CBR 8Mbit was chosen to level the playing field for final outputs, and is a there about bitrate that most encoders would need to show off their highest visual output for DVD work.

Hopefully this will help to show some of the various methods of down conversion for Edius 1080P projects. Please feel to use the source clip for your own down conversion tests, and to post your results for other Edius users.

There are two sequences in the project. 1:1 is all MPEG2 clips on top of each other so you can mute the tracks for A/B comparison. And Zoom is the same thing but with high zoom ins.

Special thanks to Dave Evans, NakedEye of www.nakedeyedv.com for supplying the TMPEG Authoring Works 5 (T5) encodes and his workflow description.

Here are the descriptions of Dave's T5 encodes.

Down Convert from HD 1920x1080p 25 to SD 720x576 16:9 using TMPEG Authoring Works 5 (T5)

Installed Version of Edius = 6.02
Installed Version of T5 = 5.0.2.22

Export from Edius as Canopus LossLess 1920x1080p 25 to feed T5
Test 1
Import to T5 and choose Interlaced Top Field First instead of Progressive, all other settings to match source footage.

The down scale method in T5 was Lanczos3.

Filter = Picture Resize. Settings = Full Screen. Keep Aspect = Unchecked. Interlaced with High Quality Resize = Checked.

Encoder Settings = MPEG-2 Video.
Standard Encoder.
MP@ML.
720 x 576.
16:9.
25fps.
CBR8000.
VBV Size = 224.
Display Mode = Interlace TFF.
Performance = Slow.
Closed GOP/Detect Scene Change = Checked
Output Sequence Header for each GOP = Checked
Quantisation Matrix = Default.
Encode I-Frame into I Picture = Checked
Apply Low Pass Filter on Colour Channel = Checked
Format = PAL
Colour = Automatic
Motion Search = Highest with Error Correction
Half/Full Pixel Search Optimisation = Checked
DC Component Precision = 10bit
Test 2
Import to T5 and choose Interlaced Top Field First instead of Progressive, all other settings to match source footage.

Filter = Picture Resize. Settings = Full Screen. Keep Aspect = Unchecked. Interlaced with High Quality Resize = Unchecked.

Standard Encoder.
MP@ML.
720 x 576.
25fps.
CBR8000.
VBV Size = 224.
Display Mode = Interlace TFF.
Performance = Slow.
Format = PAL
Colour = Automatic
Test 3
Import to T5 and choose Progressive, all other settings to match source footage.

Filter = Picture Resize. Settings = Full Screen. Keep Aspect = Unchecked. Interlaced with High Quality Resize = Unchecked.

Standard Encoder.
MP@ML.
720 x 576.
25fps.
CBR8000.
VBV Size = 224.
Display Mode = Progressive.
Performance = Slow.
Format = PAL
Colour = Automatic

Here are the descriptions of the other encodes.

EDIUS 5-51 DOWN SCALED SD HQ TO EDIUS 5-51 MPEG.m2v

This is the EX3 clip exported from an Edius 5.51 HD timeline to a master HQ SD file, then re-exported to an 8Mbit CBR MPEG2 DVD compatible file at best encode setting with 5.51.

EDIUS 6-02 DOWN SCALED SD HQ TO EDIUS6-02 MPEG.m2v

This is the EX3 clip exported from an Edius 6.02 HD timeline to a master HQ SD file, then re-exported to an 8Mbit CBR MPEG2 DVD compatible file at best encode setting with 6.02.

Here is the Edius 5 project/session data.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d80ud36zx8m228b

Here is the master Edius EX3 clip, it's from the X264 test.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tq9053zec83x9z2

Cheers.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
pbskasaa

Hi Red Union Films

I don't know whether I should post my problem here or not.But once again I need your help.
I am going to shoot a wedding ceremony in HDV format with my Sony FX 7 And Sony V1 P.It would be 1440*1080 50i.
My querries are
1.What option should I choose for smooth editing ? Canopus HQ or MPEGTS?
2.How is it done with Procoder 3 to export into MP4 (H.264) with aspect ratio maintaining as 16:9 ? I did some export but came out with squeezed image as 4:3. A step by step procedure please.
3.What is this COLOR SPACE about exporting HD/HDV to SD DVD or MPEG 2 ?
Still confused about why need color correction when exporting from HD to SD/ DVD ?
4.Where in the Procoder 3 COLOR SPACE Settings are?And How is it done?
A step by step procedure is highly appriciated.
Thank you.

Regards
Pabitra Kasaa
Kathmandu
Nepal
pbskasaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Pabitra.

This test project was to show the differences in the ways that you can go SD MPEG2 DVD. It may give you some help to create your DVDs.

Anyway, will try to help with your questions.

1.What option should I choose for smooth editing ? Canopus HQ or MPEGTS?

Although Edius is well capable of handling many different types of transport streams natively, such as HDV. I would always use either HQ or HQX for my tape ingests. You only need HQ for HDV. I use the highest quality for this codec, although many people believe that fine or super fine is well good enough for HDV. Edius will do more things easier, faster, and more of it using HQ, as it is optimised for Edius and is an Intra frame codec.

2.How is it done with Procoder 3 to export into MP4 (H.264) with aspect ratio maintaining as 16:9 ? I did some export but came out with squeezed image as 4:3. A step by step procedure please.

You may be getting mistaken for Anamorphic squeezing, which will look like 4:3 if not recognised by whatever is playing it back. You could do with doing a Google on the word anamorphic and learning what it does. I use X264 for H264/MP4, but you may want to try out Edius 606 for this, as it is much easier and is the best H264 so far from Edius. May even be better than PC3.

3.What is this COLOR SPACE about exporting HD/HDV to SD DVD or MPEG 2 ?
Still confused about why need color correction when exporting from HD to SD/ DVD ?

Don't worry about colour space, the encoder will do all the work, again try Edius 606.

4.Where in the Procoder 3 COLOR SPACE Settings are?And How is it done?

Been a while since I used my PC3, again try Edius 606, it's easier, quicker workflow, and possibly better.

Cheers.

dave.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
pbskasaa

Thank you Red Union films
pbskasaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Jerry

When asking questions about type of codec and which would be better to use, it helps us help you if you put your system specs in your signature. Just a friendly suggestion.

Main System: EditHD Ultimax-i7,X58,980x@3.74,H80,Win764,24gb ram,Intensity Shuttle,Storm 3g,Samsung 840 pro 256,4tb 6gb, raid,GTX 570 Edius 7.3,CS6,1-30",1-28",dual BD,4 bay expandable backplane
Second System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6,4790K@4.7Ghz,32gb ram,H110,Win764,samsung 840 pro,E7.31 HD Spark,Intensity Pro,12tb raid on backplane,2 BD,Benq 27 and Samsung 24 monitors,CC 2014 GTX780 OC.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Red Union Films
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
When asking questions about type of codec and which would be better to use, it helps us help you if you put your system specs in your signature. Just a friendly suggestion.
Hi Jerry.

Pabitra was being very specific about the choice between two codecs. In my experience the HQ codec is the least demanding regardless of system spec, when compared to other available codecs at the same resolution and size.

As you know, an intra frame codec is easier to deal with than an inter frame one.

Cheers.

Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS