Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Vidsmith66

Default Canopus HQ and Adobe MC Cs5

Been reading a lot about incompatibility with premiere pro cs5 and the canopus HQ codec. I am considering upgrading to CS5 as I do a lot of flash encoding with adobe. My current workflow is usually edit the project in Edius 5.5 then export clips or the entire project to a MS avi then use Adobe media encoder to export to flash, though sometimes I will use PPRO or AE for slicker titles before the export to flash. My question is will I now have to capture my edius project to another codec like lossless or an mpeg codec in order to keep my workflow or will I be Ok as long as I continue to export as a MS directshow avi?
Vidsmith66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Alter Ego

If CS5 doesn't support HQ codec. I would think that as long as you don't export the project using Canopus HQ codec, all should be well. I usually export to After Effects using Canopus Lossless or Uncompressed RGB. This way in theory at least, if not visual, I keep the cleanest video I can going back and forth between applications and generations. I am also thinking about upgrading to CS5 just for the AE rotoscoping brush and the improved PhotoShop capabilities. That rotoscoping brush conjures up some cool possibilities. The HQ codec won't be an issue or show stopper for me...

www.SummerOf76Movie.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2378477/

Edius 6.54 with HDSpark, AMD 6 core Phenom 1100T, ASRock 890FX Deluxe 3 (USB 3, SATA 3, eSATA 3), 16 GB Patriot DDR3 1333 MHz RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 1 GB graphics, 5 Drives: OS 500 GB, media 2x1 TB raid 0, 2 TB additional storage. Win 7 Ultimate X64, Samsung P2370HD preview monitor.
Alter Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
David Clarke

The problem is that 64 bit CS5 does not understand 32 bit codecs - and the Canopus codecs are not 64 bit. I just exported a couple of files from EDIUS 5.5 and loaded them into After Effects.
Canopus HQ does not work
Canopus Lossless does not work
Uncompressed RGB does work
Uncompressed YUV does work

All standard formats - MPEG, DV, HDV, AVCHD, DVCPRO XDCAM will work as will Quicktime Files since Adobe wrote their own importers for these.

A format that will not import generally only imports the sound not the picture.
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
tingsern

Adobe is trying to be an island all to itself !!! There is NO reason why a 64 bit program cannot call a 32 bits program. Just some nasty marketing stuff at Adobe at play.
Edius NX (PCI-X) + Edius 5.51, Supermicro (X7DA8) Workstation (8 SCSI drives), 256GB Transcend SSD for System, 32GB RAM + dual Xeon quad core 3.16Ghz (5460) + Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bits), nVidia Quadro 4000, Adaptec RAID 2230SLP, Viewsonic P225f & Dell U2410 displays. Panasonic HPX250 camera, BTLH1700W and BTLH80W broadcast monitor
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
David Clarke

I do not think this is an Adobe problem but a GV one. Sony Vegas 64bit will not load Canopus HQ clips either. I would think that GV would be aware of the problem and would be deciding whether to produce a 64 bit versions of their codec, which I hope they will.

In the meantime you will either need to stick to CS4 or to export in a standard format like MPEG, AVCHD, DV or uncompressed.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
caminostereo

After Effects CS5, I have felt more... and not only 32-bit codecs are no longer with CS5, but all others plug-ins that work in 32 bits... the thing has changed for everyone, and of course the solution is urgent for us to have and to "Canopus HQ" as a 64-bit codec... with all this we see that EDIUS 6 has come out in 64 bit native yes or yes.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
RandyD

Adobe Lightroom 64 has been out for a while and it has no problems with the raw codecs for stills that worked when it was 32bit. My guess is the problem is split between Adobe for lack of accomodation and others like GV for not taking the next step.
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingsern View Post
Adobe is trying to be an island all to itself !!! There is NO reason why a 64 bit program cannot call a 32 bits program. Just some nasty marketing stuff at Adobe at play.
I agree! I don't see the big deal. I have CS3 and CS4. They both still work.
Just because the new version has been released doesn't mean that the older version shuts down.
Is it smart to go to 64bit, yes. Should it accept 32bit codecs, yes! It defintitely should be backward compatible.
They can market the fact that CS5 is 64bit. All of the programs are not 64bit but work under a 64bit OS. Encore is still 32bit. So why not accept all of the previous 32bit codecs?
Because they want you to use all ADOBE and know one else.
Is this GV's problem. NO! You can still export from Edius in other formats that will import into CS5. Would it be helpful, yes. Is it a deal breaker, no!
Many feel that GV needs to produce a codec just for Adobe import. Come on, get real. On one hand you are purchasing a proprietary product and complaining about another companies proprietary product not being able to be imported in the first proprietary product.

It was Adobe's decision to set it up that way. So, if you are planning on buying CS5, you know the limitation with HQ. Either use a different export codec, or stay with a previous version. I can understand the complaints from the early adopters. I would be ticked off as well. But now that it is well known, purchasing CS5 and using HQ will not work, you will have no reason to complain except that you could not wait.

Main System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 570, Edius 7.31, Apple 30", 1-28", dual BD.
Second System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win764, Samsung 850 pro, E7.4, HD Spark ,Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Samsung 24 monitors, CC 2014 GTX780 OC.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Vidsmith66

Default It sounds workable

Thanks for all responses, I can work around the lack of a 64-bit HQ codec and that's what's important for my workflow. I am also interested in the rotoscope feature in AE but more interested in the hardware acceleration in CS5 and using more memory to do encodes.
Vidsmith66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
David Clarke

I spoke with an Adobe engineer about this and they say they cannot write support for someone else's codec without access to the code (which people don't tend to give out).
I don't think anyone has been under-hand or bad, its just something you need to be aware of when using CS5.

Worse for me is that fact that AE does not take AAF anymore. This is the way I would get timelines from EDIUS to AE as a collection of separate clips. The only way to get AAF to AE CS5 is to import the AAF to Premiere, then send that to AE.

And the Rotobrush is great!

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products