Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Jared

Default ADVC-55

I'm trying to use an ADVC-55 (apparently a discontinued product) to play old VHS movie tapes into my computer (an iMac running macOS Sierra v. 10.12.1), to convert them to MP4 digital files via the iMovie software and save them to an HDD, but iMovie is not giving me clean files. Can anybody recommend another video capture software program I can use with less trouble? Or suggest why iMovie is being such a pain?
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
RouizKarso

Have you tries edius?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Jared

No, I haven't--but it seems to be only Windows-compatible. Is there a Mac version I can download?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
emmrecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I'm trying to use an ADVC-55 (apparently a discontinued product) to play old VHS movie tapes into my computer (an iMac running macOS Sierra v. 10.12.1), to convert them to MP4 digital files via the iMovie software and save them to an HDD, but iMovie is not giving me clean files. Can anybody recommend another video capture software program I can use with less trouble? Or suggest why iMovie is being such a pain?
I'm not a MAC owner/user so cannot recommend anything useful in that area.

But it might be helpful if you gave a lot more detail about what you mean when you say "iMovie is not giving me clean files". What, exactly, is "dirty" in the converted files on your computer? What machine are you using to play the VHS tapes and which connection to the ADVC55 are you using, Composite or SVHS?

Jeff
emmrecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Jared

Default ADVC-55

Jeff, many thanks for your response. I play the VHS tapes on an ancient JCV "Hi-Fi Multi", connected to ADVC-55 on composite. It's actually been a little while since I tried to convert the tapes to digital files, failed, and put the project aside; I think the best thing I could do is try again, and take copious notes, so I can pick up this thread again when I can tell you in detail what's been going wrong.

Jared
Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
dpalomaki

In general, analog VHS sources should be passed through a TBC before they go to a capture device such as the ADVC. Using an analog proc amp to adjust levels is also usually worth while.

Old VHS players, especially the low cost consumer units, often have marginal quality output. So it is worth checking that source for output quality on a good monitor, recognizing that some TV sets have internal noise reduction for analog inputs.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC