Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #11
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdame View Post
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 has all the multimedia stuff of Ultimate but does not allow the XP compatibility mode service to be installed. It is also half the price.
George, interesting.. one point, with Home Premium 64 would I still be able to connect to my Gibabit network of older XP machines one of which runs Edius 4.5? Also, would it still work all my i7's 4 cores, 8 logical using hyperthreading and would Home Premium restrict how much memory I can use since at present I have 6 GB RAM DDR3 1333 but would want more if I leave XP.

Maybe I should find a feature comparison table?

DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Edius 7.32, Storm 3G, BM Decklink Mini Monitor, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC

System 2 (Homebuilt) Win 7 Pro 64 partition Edius 5.51 with Imaginate on WinXP partition. Asus P6T (basic), Core i7 processor 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM DDR3 1333, 4x Samsung 1TB drives (2 in Raid 0), Pioneer BD-RW BDR-202, measly trouble free Asus 1GB EAH5450 SILENT GPU.

Panasonic TX-L32D25 IPS LED HDTV
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Maybe I should find a feature comparison table?
Hi Claire,

here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e/default.aspx
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdame View Post
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 is the top of the line with all the multimedia components as well as the ability to (download seperately from Microsoft) run a Windows XP compatibility mode service.
Hi George,

the XP Mode within Win7 is available for the Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate edition:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

Home users still can use a VM which is free of charge eg VirtualPC from Microsoft or VirtualBox from Oracle (Sun).
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
Claire

Hi Zorro, thanks for this though I did in fact install Win 7 Pro 64 on a dual boot from XP. I must say I have had a hard time customising it to work like XP and I do find it slower when eg: opening Edius or folders containing many files, but I am hanging in there, think the worst is behind me now.

eg:
Disabled Windows Defender
Disabled Search Indexing In Windows 7
Disabled wmpnetwk.exe
Shutdown Remote Differential Compression
Stop SearchIndexer.exe
Added Network Indicator : 3rd part app.. Network Activity Indicator displays the old 'two monitors' icon in Windows 7 that flashed blue to show network activity on the System
Hide Individual Libraries in Explorer Folder Navigation Panel
"Show Desktop" shortcut has been moved to end of Windows 7 taskbar in form of a small rectangle. downloaded a ready-made "Show Desktop.scf" file from here: www.askvg.com 'Show Desktop.zip'
Fixed missing details Panel in Explorer
Fixed renaming-desktop-icon-makes-disappear
Fixed search field in start menu
Put Show Desktop Back in Windows 7
Fixed Win7 by default does not auto expand the tree view when you navigate between folders.
Fixed taskbar quick-launch
etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,et c,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,

DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Edius 7.32, Storm 3G, BM Decklink Mini Monitor, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC

System 2 (Homebuilt) Win 7 Pro 64 partition Edius 5.51 with Imaginate on WinXP partition. Asus P6T (basic), Core i7 processor 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM DDR3 1333, 4x Samsung 1TB drives (2 in Raid 0), Pioneer BD-RW BDR-202, measly trouble free Asus 1GB EAH5450 SILENT GPU.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #15
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Home users still can use a VM which is free of charge eg VirtualPC from Microsoft or VirtualBox from Oracle (Sun).
XP mode has one thing "normal" Virtual PC doesn't have - USB support.
The rest is just convenience, like an XP mode app runs in a window so you don't see the other system's desktop, and setup is friendly.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
..I have had a hard time customising it to work like XP and I do find it slower when eg: opening Edius or folders containing many files

Claire, no problem with speed opening Edius on my system and from memory only thing switched off is Windows Defender.

Asrock Z68 Extreme7 --i7-2700K --EDIUS Pro 7--HDStorm+ --16GB Kingston HyperX--GTX 560Ti--AX850 PSU--MxM PCI-e Reader--Win8.1 Pro 64bit

Last edited by tony; 06-04-2010 at 10:09 AM.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #17
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Claire, no problem with speed opening Edius on my system and from memory only thing switched off is Windows Defender.
Funny thing, today Edius opened straight away... oh well!

All the rest of the stuff in Win 7 especially the unnecessary eye candy is gone thank goodness... I suppose it depends on the work flow you are used to but for instance I could not stand all those useless (to me) running processes and when I click on a folder in the right hand pane in Explorer I expect to see the left hand pane auto expand the tree otherwise I cannot be sure what I am looking at is correct, gee! ... and I need those lights on the taskbar that inform me when something is connecting to the net or not... in short I am used to being in control of my computer going back to Windows 3.1, 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups.. (a gem), W98. W2K and WinXP... my computer is a tool for me to work with and no more, not take over with Bill Gates ideas of what I want.

Sorry about the rant, you shouldn't have started me off (grin).

Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 AM   #18
SoundFreak
Banned

Claire, if you want lights :), notification that Internet or network is used install ZoneAlarm Free it monitors in the task bar in & out going trafic and with a rightclick you can lockdown the connection.
Using it already for donkey years with great succses, it allows you to choose which app connects to the net on who gets acces from the net to your pc by blocking or allowing per app basis.

Once you harness Windows 7 x64 it's a great O.S.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories